Author Topic: Storm Arwen UK  (Read 1708 times)

Offline weatherman96

Storm Arwen UK
« on: January 02, 2022, 03:00:52 PM »
26th Of November 2021,

This storm was one of the worst i had ever seen, The winds were destructive, the rain came down. The met office had issued a red warning in this country (the uk it was a rare warning).
I live close to river and then there's a train track and trees, luckily it was a Friday night and i wasn't due in work the next day, The wind reported 80mph, the front window was flexing you couldn't see it physically but i put my hand on it and i could feel it, I went to bed that night and lay awake listening to the wind and praying the front window didn't smash. I have a rather large washing line pole which was used to put the washing up high into the air and be pulled down to be retrieved, that was already in the ground when we bought the house and was a little wobbly so that was another thing i was worried about. Luckily my house came away unscathed. These 1900's terrace houses are absolutely solid. The following morning i went to check for damage outside and sent my drone up to check the roof and all was good, Then made a trip to the local Morrisons to see peoples walls had been knocked down and sheds and fences flattened. One last thing i live around a quarter of a mile or less from a PowerStation, the night of the wind the PowerStation had multiple alarms going off which i could hear and then i went down stairs to use the loo and when returning to bed i saw a rather large flash in the sky which i thought was lightning, the next day on a group for the local area, someone said that it was the powerlines in the station grounds had severed and come away. Leading to other parts of the area loosing power not us luckily,
this is one ill never forget 

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
Re: Storm Arwen UK
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2022, 03:49:09 PM »
Sounds like it was a good one. Glad you came away unscathed. I expirienced one like that in the late 60's across northern Ohio. It was on July 4th. It was always remembered as the July 4th storm.

Offline weatherman96

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2022, 03:55:21 PM »
Yes we did, hopefully we don't get one like that again baring that in mind we do get strong winds of 50mph i know to you that isn't a lot but to the uk it is. Its also a shame I didn't have my weather centre as would of been good to see accurate wind speed.

What was the 4th of July storm?

Offline ocala

• Forecaster

Offline weatherman96

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2022, 04:29:27 PM »
Just Read it, you had 12 hours rain in 10 minutes?

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2022, 05:32:57 PM »
I think they meant the worst part was only 10 minutes but the whole event lasted 12 hours. I was only 9 at the time but it kicked off my love of weather.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2022, 06:25:39 PM »
I expirienced one like that in the late 60's across northern Ohio. It was on July 4th. It was always remembered as the July 4th storm.
Yep,7/4/69. My family and I had just moved from Pittsburgh to Cleveland the month prior and were driving from my grandparents house in Canton back home to Vermilion. It started just as we left and stormed, and I mean stormed the entire drive back. To this day I don't know that I've ever witnessed more cloud to ground lightning in my life. Every flash I was looking for the funnel that I knew was going to drop out of the sky and sweep us away. As a nine year old, I was petrified. Probably wouldn't think too highly of it now either for that matter...

Offline Bashy

• brecklandweather.com/meteo
  • Forecaster
  • brecklandweather.com/index.php
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2022, 10:19:35 PM »
We only hit 41mph on the 27th and only about 20mm here on the Norfolk/Suffolk border (Weeting) twas a reasonable one for here though, I'm in the middle of a small village housing estate, we are bungalows on the south side and 2 storey houses from the north. Not the worst for us last year. March was worse for us with 2 days seeing 50+, not sure of the name though.
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline weatherman96

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2022, 06:54:02 AM »
Maybe the wind gust was higher im not sure, I live on a row of terrace houses facing a river more the river dee. So all the wind was coming off the river and hitting the house directly, but there are trees which i think my of slowed it down a touch if im right.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2022, 06:56:22 AM »
I expirienced one like that in the late 60's across northern Ohio. It was on July 4th. It was always remembered as the July 4th storm.
Yep,7/4/69. My family and I had just moved from Pittsburgh to Cleveland the month prior and were driving from my grandparents house in Canton back home to Vermilion. It started just as we left and stormed, and I mean stormed the entire drive back. To this day I don't know that I've ever witnessed more cloud to ground lightning in my life. Every flash I was looking for the funnel that I knew was going to drop out of the sky and sweep us away. As a nine year old, I was petrified. Probably wouldn't think too highly of it now either for that matter...
That's cool you went through that storm too. We were vacationing at Catawba Island on western Lake Erie. Had a place right on the beach. It was awesome.

Offline weatherman96

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2022, 06:58:58 AM »
So when a tornado hits or a hurricane, is it a rather difficult an lengthy process with insurance if your home gets damaged or destroyed.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2022, 02:51:18 PM »
Luckily I haven't had to deal with that. Here's hoping I never do.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2022, 05:28:21 PM »
That's cool you went through that storm too. We were vacationing at Catawba Island on western Lake Erie. Had a place right on the beach. It was awesome.
It's a small world. We all have memories that seemingly can be recalled like yesterday, that certainly was one of mine. When we got about five miles from our house, we were stopped by the "authorities" and told we couldn't continue due to storm damage and flooding. My dad whipped out his civil defense badge (cold war was in full swing) and he let us by. The small creek directly next to my house was a raging river. Every house west of mine had flooded basements. My dad bought this particular house because it was elevated and it was bone dry even thought the then "river" was only 20' away. Obviously a wise decision realized mere weeks after moving in.

anything