Author Topic: Crowdsourcing weather station suggestions  (Read 291 times)

Offline wigi49

• Wigi's Weather Tools
Crowdsourcing weather station suggestions
« on: December 25, 2021, 03:31:55 PM »
Hello everyone. Hope your solstice celebrations are peaceful and wonderful...

I have had a number of weather stations over the years, going back to my childhood (more than 50 years ago... I had a heathkit weather station)... and I have worked professionally in meteorology, though not for a long time.

I currently have two WXShield arduino boxes interfaced with a number of sensors, predominantly OS, but some old acurite sensors, and a few others, too. The WXShields are a dead end, as is the WSDL software I run with them... and now I am having some hardware failures on sensors... and I would rather get something a decade more state-of-the-art. I am in Alaska, and the two locations that I have are challenging, for a number of reasons... including some extreme weather (predominantly wind, but also temperature sometimes).

I have some criteria that are important to me... here's a list... and I would love to hear your comments... thanks!

Must-have:
Robust wireless sensor-to-base connections with operational ranges in excess of 100m.
Solar-powered anemometer with battery backup (will be mounted on a tower and inaccesible in winter).
Accurate temperature sensors to .1 degree C - calibratable sensors a plus. Able to handle minimum temperatures to -40C
Ability to support multiple sensors, particularly temperature, but also anemometer, perhaps.
Web-based or application based station output

Nice-to-have:
Drip counting rain gauge (rather than a tip bucket).
Ability to report PWS data to one or more of the aggregator services.

Do not need or want a console. I only ever want to see the station data (even locally) in an application.

I am quite technical and I am comfortable with the idea of using a homebrew combination of hardware, mix-and-match, etc. I have been running the WXShield/WSDL combination for years, and were it not for the durability of the OS components, I would stick with it... but replacing just one or two sensors makes buying something new make more sense.

I am interested in quality sensors that will survive in exreme conditions - in particular, strong winds and extended sun.

What are your suggestions??

Thanks in advance!

Wigi
Anchorage/Kenai, Alaska.

Offline wigi49

• Wigi's Weather Tools
Re: Crowdsourcing weather station suggestions
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2021, 12:02:05 PM »
I am surprised nobody has any suggestions...

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Re: Crowdsourcing weather station suggestions
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2021, 05:01:13 PM »
Perhaps the criteria you've set are too challenging. For instance, I'm not aware of any weather station that can deliver 0.1C in temperature accuracy, especially operational accuracy, ie taking into account screen errors, other than research grade instruments maybe.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's dedicated Davis EnviroMonitor website
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I have no time to help with individual issues by email. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.