Author Topic: Logitech C920 HD Pro - Lens gone bad...  (Read 717 times)

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
Logitech C920 HD Pro - Lens gone bad...
« on: November 19, 2021, 07:59:38 PM »
After more than seven years of use, both of my Logitech C920 HD Pro cameras are going blind with cataracts...

Well, not really cataracts; however, the internal lens in both cameras have apparently been damaged by the constant UV rays from the sun here in the high desert of Nevada. I have attached an image of what the camera looks like. See the attached image and you'll notice that the lens is not crystal clear as it should be. In fact, it has a clouded, or milky, look to it. I've disassembled the camera and removed the lens but it's obvious there is nothing I can do with it. Logitech support says they don't sell parts for any of their cameras and for me to look to third-party repair shops to fix it. I've contacted a couple and none of them will do any repairs because they say they can't get parts for them either.

So, unless I can find a source of a new lens, I am out of luck and will have to purchase a new camera.

BTW, both of these cameras have the Carl Zeiss Tessar glass lenses in them. I don't understand how glass can be affected by UV rays.

I had to stop feeding live images to my website due to the poor quality of the images I was getting.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 08:01:15 PM by W3DRM »
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline davidefa

• Forecaster
Re: Logitech C920 HD Pro - Lens gone bad...
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2021, 08:32:41 PM »
You could try with a cheap m12 lens adapter like this one: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1723714

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2021, 01:04:48 PM »
You could try with a cheap m12 lens adapter like this one: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1723714

Okay, I have no knowledge of lens mounts or lens styles. Do you know what type of lens mounting the stock C920 uses? The lens housing is plastic and has very fine threads that allow you to adjust the lens for optimum focusing (that is an assumption on my part...). Does this lens conform to some kind of standard size or specifications? Also, I don't have a 3d printer so wouldn't be able to build anything myself. I've searched the internet for m12 lens adapters and I see there are many of them available. I just don't know what I am looking at. Any suggestions for where to dig deeper in the terminology and sources is appreciated.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2021, 03:41:51 PM »
Is the 3D printed thing just like those adapters for phone camera? Sits in front of the camera's lens and alters it in some way?

Nothing printed on the threaded lens to show size?

The threads are exactly that, for focusing. If you could measure outside diameter with micro it might get you towards a search.

Be careful, some are glued or pinned on place once focused
« Last Edit: November 20, 2021, 03:45:19 PM by davidmc36 »

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2021, 09:42:02 PM »
Is the 3D printed thing just like those adapters for phone camera? Sits in front of the camera's lens and alters it in some way?

Nothing printed on the threaded lens to show size?

The threads are exactly that, for focusing. If you could measure outside diameter with micro it might get you towards a search.

Be careful, some are glued or pinned on place once focused

I'm not sure about the 3D printed item shown. However, after looking at other solutions, I am now beginning to consider going with the new Raspberry Pi HD camera and forgetting about trying to repair the old C920. By going with a Pi solution, I have may options for various lenses, software and physical setups. If a lens goes bad, I merely replace the lens and don't have to fool around with trying to find parts for it.

And BTW, the lens on my C920 simply unscrewed easily. It was not glued or pinned. Thanks for the warning though as a glued or pinned lens would likely mean one would damage the rest of the lens assembly when trying to remove the lens.

Now I'm off to research how to best use a Pi Camera with my Davis VP2 weather station and Weather Display... If anyone has any pointers, it would be appreciated!