Author Topic: Wunderground and soil moisture/temperature/leaf wetness data  (Read 1548 times)

Offline jordy98x1

Wunderground and soil moisture/temperature/leaf wetness data
« on: October 14, 2021, 03:13:37 PM »
I recently reinstalled my soil moisture, temperature and leaf wetness sensors for my Davis VP2. When I removed them from service in 2018, I was able to view the data on Wunderground. Now, I don’t see the data anywhere. I have not changed my server hardware and I can see the data on my console. Am I missing something, or did Wunderground do away with it on their end?

Thanks

Offline Bashy

• brecklandweather.com/meteo
  • Forecaster
  • brecklandweather.com/index.php
    • Breckland Weather
Re: Wunderground and soil moisture/temperature/leaf wetness data
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2021, 05:35:35 PM »
I recently reinstalled my soil moisture, temperature and leaf wetness sensors for my Davis VP2. When I removed them from service in 2018, I was able to view the data on Wunderground. Now, I don’t see the data anywhere. I have not changed my server hardware and I can see the data on my console. Am I missing something, or did Wunderground do away with it on their end?

Thanks

I think ya might be right, I'm sure i used to be able to see mine too
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline noctilucent

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2021, 01:48:15 AM »
Am I missing something, or did Wunderground do away with it on their end?

They did away with it some time ago, as part of their ongoing mission to slowly strangle WU.

Does anyone know of a site that'll record/report this data?  My usual go-to replacement for WU is PWS Weather but they don't handle it.

Offline jordy98x1

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2021, 08:34:26 AM »
Thanks guys. I was afraid of that. I was sort of hoping it was something that I was/wasn’t doing. I too am curious to know if there is something else out there that would support it. I had a farmer and a golf course owner near me that used that data from time to time to make decisions on irrigation. I can see the data on my
Console, but that doesn’t help them!

Offline noctilucent

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2021, 08:45:15 AM »
I know that some PWS Weather folks used to read this site, maybe we could ask them about supporting it... I'll ask in the PWS Weather thread.

Oh, and I've also pinged Aeris (PWS Weather maintainers) about adding it, I'll report back here if I get a response.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 09:01:06 AM by noctilucent »

Offline jordy98x1

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2021, 01:31:38 PM »
I know that some PWS Weather folks used to read this site, maybe we could ask them about supporting it... I'll ask in the PWS Weather thread.

Oh, and I've also pinged Aeris (PWS Weather maintainers) about adding it, I'll report back here if I get a response.

Thanks! I too use PWS, and am actually getting to where I prefer it. It would certainly be nice to have that data available. I am sure there are guys out there doing their own site and have the code to include that data on their sites, however, I'm not a coder, so that counts me out!

Offline noctilucent

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2021, 03:49:28 AM »

They've acknowledged the feature request, so let's see.

Was also planning to ask them if they can provide an option to display only a straight line graph without the meatballs, it makes the display really difficult to read on small-screen devices when all you can see is a mass of round blobs.

Offline Timbouk1

• WU
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2021, 09:55:53 PM »
Hi,
The Uk Met Office site (WOW) is global and reports the soil mositure uploads.  https://wow.metoffice.gov.uk/
Ecowitt:
WS68 Wireless Solar Powered Anemometer with Light & UV Sensor
WH40 Wireless Self-Emptying Rain Collector Rainfall Sensor
WH32 Outdoor Temperature and Humidity Sensor
WH51 Soil Moisture Sensor
GW 1100 WiFi Gateway

Offline noctilucent

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2021, 12:05:26 AM »
The Uk Met Office site (WOW) is global and reports the soil mositure uploads.  https://wow.metoffice.gov.uk/

Interesting, thanks!  Two notes for anyone else trying this:

• You can't sign up for WOW with Firefox, you get stuck in an endless loop of Enter a Site -> Sign Up / Login -> Existing Account -> Log In -> click on WOW icon -> Enter a Site again.  Creating the site with something like Chrome works OK.
  • The station ID isn't the station name as for other sites but the long UUID-type string associated with the station.  If you use the station name for uploads, they'll fail.

Hmm, and the soil data isn't being reported to WOW.  I'm reading Davis data using a Meteostick and getting the double blip of the VP2 and 6345 sending data every 45s, but WeeWX doesn't seem to be doing anything with it.  That is, it's using the VP2 data but not the 6345 data, and not displaying it on the local WeeWX dashboard either.  Ugh, I sense a lot of debugging coming up...
« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 04:06:33 AM by noctilucent »

Offline jordy98x1

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2022, 09:29:50 PM »

Hmm, and the soil data isn't being reported to WOW.  I'm reading Davis data using a Meteostick and getting the double blip of the VP2 and 6345 sending data every 45s, but WeeWX doesn't seem to be doing anything with it.  That is, it's using the VP2 data but not the 6345 data, and not displaying it on the local WeeWX dashboard either.  Ugh, I sense a lot of debugging coming up...

Did you ever get anywhere with this?

Jordan

Offline noctilucent

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2022, 10:52:35 PM »

Did you ever get anywhere with this?

No, I poked around a few places but I'm not familiar enough with Python and how it does things to be able to sort anything out so it was kinda cargo-cult programming.  Anyone here know Python and have access to sensors other than the built-into-WeeWX VP/VP2 set to play with?

Offline davidefa

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2022, 07:11:16 AM »
If you need to graph your soil sensor data and be able to visualize on the net you can use something like meteotemplate ( see an example in my signature ).
Highly customizable ( and it can do lot more than this ), you can host for free on altervista.org ( or other provider ).

Offline noctilucent

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2022, 07:15:21 AM »
If you need to graph your soil sensor data and be able to visualize on the net you can use something like meteotemplate ( see an example in my signature ).

The problem isn't displaying it, it's getting the data from the Meteostick into WeeWX and then from WeeWX to something else.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2022, 09:10:16 PM »
I have not been able to with either my Weatherlink IP or the live version. sort of given up

Offline Bashy

• Forecaster
  • brecklandweather.com/index.php
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2022, 11:06:34 PM »
Highly customizable ( and it can do lot more than this ), you can host for free on altervista.org ( or other provider ).

I have meteotemplate but i could never find a way to graph my soil moisture and temp, is there a way for both, please?
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline davidefa

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2022, 03:29:13 AM »
You can use these blocks: interactiveGraph and graphCombined

P.S.
I'm working to add other blocks/pages

Offline Bashy

• Forecaster