Author Topic: Free Version Now includes Ads  (Read 1230 times)

Offline Randall Kayfes

• Weather - Photography - Astronomy - Computer Admin
  • Forecaster
    • Arizona Kaymann
Free Version Now includes Ads
« on: October 06, 2021, 09:44:01 AM »
I suppose it was only a matter of time before Davis started putting up ads front and center top left in weatherlink.com free.
Does anybody know when this started happening?

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
Re: Free Version Now includes Ads
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2021, 11:12:38 AM »
I saw it the first time a couple of days ago... and not only on free WL.com
So far, I don't mind what they are doing.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline Bashy

• brecklandweather.com/meteo
  • Forecaster
  • brecklandweather.com/index.php
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2021, 11:09:52 PM »
I only see the small "Shop Daivs" ad on the map page, is that what you're referring to?
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2021, 12:28:44 AM »
No, it was in the upper left of the Bulletin page, the size of the blocks.  It showed up on both my Free and Pro sites but now not on either of my sites.  However in looking at another user's WL.com page it does show up there - see attached.  In the times I have seen it it is advertising the AirLink and a click on it brings up the Davis AirLink promo page AirLink - The #1 Air Quality Monitor for Indoor & Outdoor — Davis Instruments     

I already have the AirLink on my Pro account but not on the free account...  Maybe experimental.

Enjoy,
Paul
« Last Edit: October 08, 2021, 12:32:46 AM by PaulMy »

Offline Bashy

• Forecaster
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2021, 01:04:13 AM »
No, it was in the upper left of the Bulletin page, the size of the blocks.  It showed up on both my Free and Pro sites but now not on either of my sites.  However in looking at another user's WL.com page it does show up there - see attached.  In the times I have seen it it is advertising the AirLink and a click on it brings up the Davis AirLink promo page AirLink - The #1 Air Quality Monitor for Indoor & Outdoor — Davis Instruments     

I already have the AirLink on my Pro account but not on the free account...  Maybe experimental.
Enjoy,
Paul

Oh dear, i certainly wouldnt want to see an advert there, took me a god while to get the blocks setup to my liking, it only takes 1 block to mess it all up :/
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2021, 04:07:21 AM »
We think that the Bulletin ads may only be shown for users that either run the free/Basic account or who renew their account subscription directly with Davis. (It's common, for several reasons, for users outside the US to renew their subs with their local (ie in-country) dealer rather than direct from Davis. But I'm not aware of similar arrangements within the US.) So far, none of our Pro users who renew direct with us seems to have seen the Bulletin ads. But this may not be the full picture - we're still assessing and more details may come to light soon.

Really it makes no sense for ads to be shown internationally with US$ pricing - that's incongruous and semi-irrelevant, and more likely to annoy than to generate extra sales IMO.

Of course, the ads seem to be a new initiative and how the ads are deployed may well change. Always worth an email to support@weatherlink.com if you're unhappy with the ads, especially if you can cite specific reasons, eg international users seeing only $US prices or unwelcome layout changes etc. You may not get an individual answer but if enough unhappiness is registered then maybe a less intrusive option might be found.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2021, 06:05:08 AM »

Really it makes no sense for ads to be shown internationally with US$ pricing - that's incongruous and semi-irrelevant, and more likely to annoy than to generate extra sales IMO.

Its actually quite conceivable Canadians may buy direct from a retailer as local increase is more than shipping.......sometimes. But there is a link to international resellers once you click the ad.

Offline SteveFitz1

• Forecaster
    • Tyler Texas Weather
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2021, 06:14:51 AM »
Just put an ad blocker in your browser and you won't see the ad. I just get an empty white block in the upper left-hand corner.

Steve

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2021, 08:02:36 AM »
Still throws the blocks all out of place.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2021, 09:58:49 AM »
I've checked several more sites that I have in my WL.com Saved tab.  All the USA sites I've checked (10) show the add.  None of the UK/Europe sites (8) show the add.  My two sites (Canada), one a Pro and the other Free (but I can interchange the Pro subscription between the two) do not show the add now but they did a few days ago.  I bought my WLL, AirLink and VP2 from USA retailer, and the WL.com Pro subscription direct from Davis.  So possible what John said.

Again, I am not offended by the add so far, and WL.com is not a fully public site so no concern for the visitors to my WL.com sites. 

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline Randall Kayfes

• Weather - Photography - Astronomy - Computer Admin
  • Forecaster
    • Arizona Kaymann
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2021, 10:41:33 AM »
If I click on the advertising block X it says upgrade to Pro to hide advertising so... Apparently if you are Pro you have the option hit the X to knock it out. I am free as I do all my analysis in Excel and only go the web site to ensure my data is uploading...

For me Davis ads whatever if they start selling space not so much...

Offline Bashy

• Forecaster
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2021, 10:47:23 AM »
I am still on my free trial and it was through the main site and I don't see any ads on my bulletin etc, but if i ever do, that would be the end of using WL, I'm not paying for something that includes adverts, that's not on...
« Last Edit: October 08, 2021, 09:08:42 PM by Bashy »
Kind regards
Bashy