Author Topic: Webcam ftp - url issues...again...  (Read 682 times)

Offline gdyer911

Webcam ftp - url issues...again...
« on: October 03, 2021, 10:25:01 AM »
Hi -

This is more of a status check to see if others are currently experiencing webcam upload issues.

I've been a long time WU broadcaster (since around 2007 or so)...and have had to delete and recreate my station and webcam several times over the recent years to get full reporting and images posting successfully.

I recently wiped it and started over KFPPUNTA321 now and cannot seem to get images to post again from either the URL or FTP means.
The ftp server using both the cam and Filezilla are intermittently connecting with 2.37.52.183:21 -

With the cam ftp it shows successful but the image will not upload (image size is below 30k). Even using Filezilla it uploads the image manually but the server seems to delete the file after a few minutes.

I've set the cam to ftp to a url and that works fine but the WU config reports offline and never seems to acquire the image to post.

Anyone have any feedback on recent changes or issues would be appreciated -

ps - I think my first station was KFLPUNTA11...back when everything just worked..lol! #-o

Best,

Greg

Offline jackman

• Senior Contributor
    • Echo Pines WX Station
Re: Webcam ftp - url issues...again...
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2021, 05:20:10 PM »
I've given up on the webcam uploads. It quit working about a month ago. My uploads are accepted but not posted.

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2021, 07:52:37 PM »
does seem to be more success if you have wunderground link to a web cam image you have available as a url

Offline jimi

• Contributor
    • Well Road Weather
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2021, 01:06:16 PM »
does seem to be more success if you have wunderground link to a web cam image you have available as a url
Not for me, since mine quit working on ftp earlier this year (after working continuously for more than 5 years) I've tried every option I can think off and nothing works including the url method  ](*,)
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Offline gdyer911

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2021, 06:32:40 PM »
Looks like this is the Answer - https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=40935.msg436643#msg436643

Webcam hosting service is discontinued effective October 21, 2021
Weather Underground will discontinue the webcam hosting service effective October 21, 2021 in order to better focus on the core products that make Weather Underground one of the best destinations for weather enthusiasts. Webcam data will be deleted from our servers on or after this date.
Weather Underground will discontinue the webcam hosting service effective October 21, 2021 in order to better focus on the core products that make Weather Underground one of the best destinations for weather enthusiasts. Webcam data will be deleted from our servers on or after this date.

We have spent significant time and energy to update our forecasts and Personal Weather Station (PWS) Network over the past several years. When we looked at taking a similar path forward for the webcams, it became clear that an upgrade to modern technologies would be incompatible with many of the cameras currently using our platform. We decided that the investment required to start the network over from scratch would not be viable. Our efforts will instead focus on the performance, stability, and vitality of our core offerings. Please rest assured that the PWS Network remains a core piece of Weather Underground.

Thank you for your support.

---------

I left a response also to the thread -

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2021, 10:04:32 PM »
its not you.....

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline noctilucent

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2021, 11:58:09 PM »
Looks like this is the Answer - https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=40935.msg436643#msg436643

Ugh, just saw that too.  And I can't find the humidity graph on WU any more either, which is the thing I most use it for (fortunately I've got an Android app that still displays humidity, alongside PWS Weather if I want a web-based solution).

They really do seem quite determined to drive themselves into oblivion.  I've been noticing recently that more and more sites around me have been winking out, areas that used to have weather feeds on WU are how just blank areas with here-be-dragons.  We've got PWS Weather doing what WU should be doing, but there's not enough sites on it yet to give the density of coverage that WU used to.