Author Topic: CumulusMX - access to old cumulus data  (Read 1875 times)

Offline MuntyWeather

CumulusMX - access to old cumulus data
« on: August 26, 2021, 06:42:26 AM »
Hi Folks - I have managed to install and run MX (in a separate folder from my old Cumulus 1.9.4).  MX has produced log files in the data folder which start on the day I got MX working (22 Aug 21).  I have then (as an experiment) copied the 1.9.4 log file for Aug to the data file under MX (this has data from 1 Aug of course).  MX continues to run OK and adds data to the file, but the earlier data (before 22 Aug) remains inaccessible.  It doesn't appear in the 'charts', nor is it picked up in the NOAA reports.  Help!

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
Re: CumulusMX - access to old cumulus data
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2021, 03:20:10 PM »
Best to ask over on the CumulusMX forums https://cumulus.hosiene.co.uk/
Regards Simon
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus (6162UK) • Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • AirLink • PurpleAir PA-II-SD • CumulusMX •

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2021, 04:59:22 PM »
You could just copy all the Cumulus 1 \data files to your new CumulusMX with both stopped.
Then a restart and CumulusMX should then display going back from the date of Cumulus1 start.

Then run Mark's CreateMissing program to add the dayfile.txt items in CMX that were not in C1

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline MuntyWeather

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2021, 09:29:40 AM »
Thanks Simon and Paul, 
     Before I try another Forum, I'll stick with this one for a bit.  I'm just using the Aug 21 data to start with.  Essentially I've done what you suggest, Paul, although I haven't done CreateMissing.  Is that the problem?  In MX, when I click 'logfile' all the August data (every 10 mins) is there OK.

Thanks and Regards

Ted

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2021, 01:12:54 PM »

although I haven't done CreateMissing.  Is that the problem?
No, not a problem at all.  You should be able to continue with whatever data is in your dayfile.txt and the new CMX would just add any additional data items from the time of running CMX.

Since you have previous Cumulus data I see no problem by using all of it with new CMX, especially if it is just a trial.  Having the full former \data folder files in your new CMX \data may eliminate any issues, such as previous alltime, monthly.

Have you filled in all the settings - i.e. Graph > Graph hours and Graph days, Data Series Visibility?

The only other thing I can think of is the "StartDate=" in your settings (Cumulus.ini).  In Station settings > General Settings > Advanced Options > Records Began Date.

p.s. on the NOAA reports you will likely need to (Re)Generate the missing reports.

Enjoy,
Paul

« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 01:15:03 PM by PaulMy »

Offline MuntyWeather

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2021, 04:44:13 AM »
Hi Paul

Thanks for that.  Where will I find the menu graph>graph hours etc.  Looks highly relevant, but can't find it.  Have tried changing the start date to 1 Aug and regenerating NOAA report to no avail.   I am using MX 3.12.1 build 3143.
                                 Regards

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2021, 10:59:27 AM »
Hi,
That will be in the Settings > Station Settings then near the bottom = Graphs, and also in Graphs the Data Series Visibility

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline MuntyWeather

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2021, 01:19:31 PM »
Hi Paul
             Found the settings.  All OK.  Checked that start date is OK  Still no joy.  I'm close to giving up.  I'm looking into MX not because I'm dissatisfied with Cumulus 1 (I think SandySoft did a great job ) but because recently I can't get the program to open reliably.  It starts once in about every 6 attempts.  It says 'initialising' and then after a  while goes 'unresponsive'.  I then have to kill it with the Windows10 task manager.  I've installed the recent version with the patch for the year drop down menu (which works) but I still have the opening problem.  Sorry to bother you, but any ideas?

Ted

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2021, 03:12:13 PM »
Hi Ted,
No bother at all... and gladly share my experiences from an active user perspective, but not much of a techie to resolve computer and communication issues.

I also still run Cumulus1 full time on an old Windows 8 PC, and have run it on my newer Windows 10 PC without any issue.
However CumulusMX does so much more so run more than one version  ;) using WiFiLogger and WLL.

For your Cumulus1 have you checked the Diags files, and is there anything there that might indicate the issue?

The same for your CumulusMX have you checked MXdiags files?  There is much more diagnostics in MXdiags.  I would gladly look at the MXdiags if you were to zip and attach or PM.  But likely more support on Cumulus forum as Simon indicated.

If the older data is in your monthly log and dayfile files but not displaying I wonder if there is perhaps some corrupt data.  Does it all show correctly in the CMX local dashboard Data Log tab > Monthly logs and Dayfile?  Does it all look correct in the \data\Aug21log.txt and dayfile.txt when you open with Notepad++?

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline MuntyWeather

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2021, 04:15:08 AM »
   Progress!  I checked the Cumulus 1 diags files (hadn't looked at them before).  Strange error when connecting to WOW (UK Met Office).  I then realised that I had added WOW and WU to my Meteobridge Weather networks while still trying to access them from Cumulus 1.  Unticked them in Cumulus - now working OK.
   Also, copied all the August dayfile entries to the MX dayfile.  Now shows August NOAA report correctly.  Still can't get graphs, but still working through your suggestions.
   Many thanks for your help.  BTW (as they say these days), my wife's cousin lives in Bracebridge and his son lives in London Ont.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2021, 09:57:49 AM »
Great you're making progress.

Bracebridge is a beautiful area some ways north of Toronto, and our next door neighbour has a cottage there on one of the many area lakes.  And London is in our backyard, I can see the city lights most evenings.  A small world...

Enjoy,
Paul