Author Topic: Replacement bearings for Iris anemometer  (Read 523 times)

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
Replacement bearings for Iris anemometer
« on: August 11, 2021, 02:10:11 PM »
I bought some PGN brand bearings with the black rubber seals for the 5 in 1 anemometer. The original ones are shot. These seem to be very loose and well made. I haven't installed them yet, but when I do they should make a big difference. Ebay is a few dollars cheaper. I bought 10 MR-105.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
Re: Replacement bearings for Iris anemometer
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2021, 07:43:29 PM »
I installed the bearings, but they are not moving freely at all in the wind. The grease must be too thick for this application. I guess I'll work on the old ones again and put them back in. Was worth a shot. I might try to thin the grease out a bit first.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
Re: Replacement bearings for Iris anemometer
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2021, 10:48:19 AM »
So what I ended up doing was soaking the new bearings in something similar to WD-40, but it was a generic lubricant that comes in a spray can that I bought at Wal mart. This is really good stuff. Those bearings are freed up now. I put them back in and then added a few drops of 3 in 1 dry lube. That really made them spin! So now my Iris anemometer is more responsive and the wind isn't even moving today. I really like that you can work on these Acurites instead of just throwing them away and keep buying new tops.