Author Topic: Any web sites that have 'future weather radar' like map views of the coming rain  (Read 2712 times)

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
Channel 4, WCCO from Minneapolis has a graphic display for those of us anxious for rain or precip (I'd rather not see snow right now) showing a step through about every 10-20 minutes of what the anticipated radar will look like.  The run it out for about a day.  Never completely accurate, but it does give a sort of idea of about when and how strong any precip is expected to be.  I think there is an option to show accumulated rain, too.

I'm not sure how that is generated, and if that is a copyrighted term for the program or output they show.  I know some companies sell forecasts and I assume graphic stuff too.  The NWS has some plots, but those usually are at 6 hour intervals and is helpful for aviation weather consumers.

I doubt that a company has purchased last year's model Cray computer to run these, but maybe NWS has a product that they can use to plot precip locations and densities.

Half the time the meteorologists are standing in front of the map where those of us to the east live, or I'd like to replay or study things a bit, so it would be nice to find a similar display graphic on line, hopefully at little or no cost (of course).

Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
Here you go. It's called HRRR. High Resolution Rapid Refresh.
Updates every hour and goes out to 18 hours. This is from Pivotal Weather but it's a NOAA product.
https://www.pivotalweather.com/model.php?m=hrrr&p=ref1km&rh=2021080619&fh=loop&r=us_mw&dpdt=&mc=
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
An excellent map. My wife will like that for planning mowing.

Online chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
Does the bar at the top mean 5 hours out or current time minus Zulu hours.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
The Weather Channel has a radar with expected activity in the next six hours. That said, I find it horribly inaccurate!
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
Does the bar at the top mean 5 hours out or current time minus Zulu hours.
It's actually current time plus for hours.
Right now it's 7:00AM here and the Zulu time is 11:00. But the model usually runs behind so right now it's still working on the the 10Z run. So it only has 6 hours of data.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
This is a NOAA site that has updates every 15 minutes and also has some local geographic area's which are higher resolution. If you want to view a loop just click on the check mark under loop and use the composite reflectivity as it is higher resolution. I think the data only runs out about 11 hours though.
The data also runs behind here too.
https://rapidrefresh.noaa.gov/hrrr/HRRRsubh/Welcome.cgi?dsKey=hrrr_subh_ncep_jet&domain=t6&run_time=07+Aug+2021+-+09Z
« Last Edit: August 07, 2021, 07:30:34 AM by ocala »

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
There are far  more products available than I anticipated, so thank you for all those tips and links.  Great bunch of members sharing. 

One thing I did discover is that a few of these predictions are buried under the initial layers that some sites provide and if I'd dug deeper I may have found them, but to be frank, there are so many weather providers out there I'd never thought of looking for or known about them without the generous sharing of links by forum members.

Thank you.

Here's another one:
https://www.iweathernet.com/interactive-radar
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php