Author Topic: Update to newest version  (Read 1595 times)

Offline Oilswell

Update to newest version
« on: March 02, 2021, 09:03:00 PM »
I was hoping someone might be able to inform me as to the easiest way to update to the latest version of Cumulus MX. I'm running an older version, 3.4.1 b3065 on a Raspberry pi that I'm still intimidated by. :?

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Offline alaskazimm

• <iframe src="https://widget.awekas.at/widget4.php?
Re: Update to newest version
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 09:20:08 PM »
Over on the Cumulus forums is a thread about setting up Cumulus as a service on the Pi. Doing so makes it easier to start, stop, restart, and check the status of the program. There is also instructions on how to update Cumulus to the latest version (post number 3 or 4 iirc). The thread has step by step instructions for the commands to enter and is pretty easy to follow. Since you already have the Pi running it shouldn't be a problem to do.

If you do run into problems it would probably be best to ask over on those forums since that is the official support for Cumulus.

Station:Davis VP2 Plus w/WLL
Software: CumulusMX
WU: KAKPORTA5
CWOP: FW7521

Offline Oilswell

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2021, 09:26:52 PM »
I'll give that a look, thanks.

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2021, 08:20:29 AM »
Plus there is a Raspberry Pi image that you can install.

You'd then just have to copy in your configuration file and /data /reports folders from your existing install.

This is preconfigured with the pre-reqs, and Cumulus is installed as as service that starts on system boot.

https://cumuluswiki.org/a/Raspberry_Pi_Image
Mark

Offline Oilswell

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2021, 08:50:17 PM »
Thanks Mark. I tried the method in the above link that alaskazimm posted, I'm pretty sure you also contributed to as well. It's a simple method to stop Rpi, drop the updated version in the CMX file and reboot. Unfortunately it didn't seem to work so maybe I'll try your link.

Offline Oilswell

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2021, 07:51:27 PM »
Plus there is a Raspberry Pi image that you can install.

You'd then just have to copy in your configuration file and /data /reports folders from your existing install.

This is preconfigured with the pre-reqs, and Cumulus is installed as as service that starts on system boot.

https://cumuluswiki.org/a/Raspberry_Pi_Image
Well, I finally got around to trying this today and I get nothing when I insert the card into my pi. No network lights, nothing but a power light. I tried plugging it into Ethernet and preconfigured wifi. Looks like files are written to the card...

I'm sure it's my error but not sure what to try next. I've tried several times and just can't communicated with my router.

edit: my mistake, I'm a moron and finally figured out my error. Would appreciate advice on how to transfer my backed up configuration file and /data /reports folders from my existing install though.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 09:09:23 PM by Oilswell »