Author Topic: Ecowitt + Home Assistant  (Read 13024 times)

Offline wx_junkie

Ecowitt + Home Assistant
« on: March 11, 2021, 10:30:10 AM »
Hi Gang,

I'm relatively quiet on this board, but I did feel compelled to share (with anyone interested) that the value of my Ecowitt System (GW1000 gateway + a whack of sensors....) took a massive leap forward in usefulness within the past few weeks.  I wanted to take an opportunity to share my "discovery" with others, with the hopes it may precipitate (pun fully intended....) similar breakthroughs and/or usefulness.

For those of you who use or know about Home Assistant (the open source home automation platform), I was thrilled to find that someone had developed an integration for Ecowitt systems (https://github.com/garbled1/homeassistant_ecowitt).

(Incidentally, I'm actually curious whether the author (Garbled1 aka Tim Rightnour) is part of this board.    If so, MASSIVE kudos go out to him.   =D> )

Back to the task at hand.

Having integrated my Ecowitt and Home Assistant systems, has benefited me in 2 aspects:

1) New and useful (and customizable) ways to display the sensor data (example below).   I must admit, I do like the look of the dashboard as provided by Ecowitt.  No knocks against that whatsoever.  But, now I can insert individual sensor data in other parts of my home automation / displays / dashboards.  For instance, here is a dashboard that I have created for my vegetable garden, showing only those sensors that are important to me for gardening:

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Don't pay too much attention to may garbled layout... I'm still experimenting with what types of gauges / sensor layout I prefer.

2)  Ability to trigger home automation routines using Ecowitt sensor data.     As an example, I am now triggering some lights to come on in the late-afternoon / early-evening, based on readings taken from the Solar Radiation sensor (as part of my WS68 Wireless Anemometer sensor).  Conversely, I have lights turning off in the morning, once it is sufficiently light out.  This is much more desirable than a time-based approach, as depending on cloud cover, I may want to delay turning off or on the lights.  This is now fully automated:

I do have some more weather-condition-based automations in the queue.  For example, I have a chicken coop door controlled by a microcontroller (also connected to Home Assistant) and linear actuator.  It automatically opens each morning at sunrise.  But, if it was pouring rain, for example, I may want to delay opening the door.  To accomplish this, I could check the condition of the "rate of rainfall" sensor data as a condition, to ONLY open the door (after sunrise) once a rain-rate has fallen below a set threshold.   I'm not sure I will actually do this exact automation, but it gives you a flavor of what types of things are possible.  The sky is the limit, I expect.

Again, just wanted to share in this experience and "plant the seed", as the saying goes.  I'd be happy to hear from anyone who has also mated these 2 systems together - I welcome you to share some of your automations and dashboards!!

Regards,

Ray

Offline davidefa

• Forecaster
Re: Ecowitt + Home Assistant
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2021, 02:38:59 PM »
I like the compost temperature!
Now need to dig into Home Assistant

Offline bigalpha

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2021, 04:28:43 AM »
Hi Gang,

I'm relatively quiet on this board, but I did feel compelled to share (with anyone interested) that the value of my Ecowitt System (GW1000 gateway + a whack of sensors....) took a massive leap forward in usefulness within the past few weeks.  I wanted to take an opportunity to share my "discovery" with others, with the hopes it may precipitate (pun fully intended....) similar breakthroughs and/or usefulness.

For those of you who use or know about Home Assistant (the open source home automation platform), I was thrilled to find that someone had developed an integration for Ecowitt systems (https://github.com/garbled1/homeassistant_ecowitt).

(Incidentally, I'm actually curious whether the author (Garbled1 aka Tim Rightnour) is part of this board.    If so, MASSIVE kudos go out to him.   =D> )

Back to the task at hand.

Having integrated my Ecowitt and Home Assistant systems, has benefited me in 2 aspects:

1) New and useful (and customizable) ways to display the sensor data (example below).   I must admit, I do like the look of the dashboard as provided by Ecowitt.  No knocks against that whatsoever.  But, now I can insert individual sensor data in other parts of my home automation / displays / dashboards.  For instance, here is a dashboard that I have created for my vegetable garden, showing only those sensors that are important to me for gardening:

Don't pay too much attention to may garbled layout... I'm still experimenting with what types of gauges / sensor layout I prefer.

2)  Ability to trigger home automation routines using Ecowitt sensor data.     As an example, I am now triggering some lights to come on in the late-afternoon / early-evening, based on readings taken from the Solar Radiation sensor (as part of my WS68 Wireless Anemometer sensor).  Conversely, I have lights turning off in the morning, once it is sufficiently light out.  This is much more desirable than a time-based approach, as depending on cloud cover, I may want to delay turning off or on the lights.  This is now fully automated:

I do have some more weather-condition-based automations in the queue.  For example, I have a chicken coop door controlled by a microcontroller (also connected to Home Assistant) and linear actuator.  It automatically opens each morning at sunrise.  But, if it was pouring rain, for example, I may want to delay opening the door.  To accomplish this, I could check the condition of the "rate of rainfall" sensor data as a condition, to ONLY open the door (after sunrise) once a rain-rate has fallen below a set threshold.   I'm not sure I will actually do this exact automation, but it gives you a flavor of what types of things are possible.  The sky is the limit, I expect.

Again, just wanted to share in this experience and "plant the seed", as the saying goes.  I'd be happy to hear from anyone who has also mated these 2 systems together - I welcome you to share some of your automations and dashboards!!

Regards,

Ray

Hi - I just got my weather station and am trying to set up that integration too, in HA. Did you have issues getting the sensors to show up in HA?  I can't seem to get it connected correctly. Any help you could provide would be great.

Offline Henrik!

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2021, 08:39:24 AM »
Use this one instead https://github.com/PoppyPop/homeassistant_ecowitt

But don't follow the instructions to installl as that will add the repository from "garbled1", who does not seem to work on the project anymore.
Instead download the files and add them to HACS manually.

Offline cvee72

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2021, 05:49:54 AM »
After I saw this post, I searched for Ecowitt from Homebridge.

There’s a plug-in!!!
Set it up and I see some data points in HomeKit …. But needs further configuration or setup.
Ecowitt GW1003 includes : Ecowitt GW1000, Ecowitt WS80, Ecowitt WH40
Added : Ecowitt WH31, Ecowitt WH41, Ecowitt WH51, Ecowitt WH57

Offline bigalpha

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2021, 03:53:47 PM »
Use this one instead https://github.com/PoppyPop/homeassistant_ecowitt

But don't follow the instructions to installl as that will add the repository from "garbled1", who does not seem to work on the project anymore.
Instead download the files and add them to HACS manually.

Good to know. I did manage to get the garbled1 version installed, but it did require some manual editing of some of the files.  I wonder what the best way to name the sensors/entities that are getting pulled in?  Can I hard-code the names in my GW-1100 that will then get pulled into HA?

Offline Automation Junkie

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2021, 10:17:32 PM »
Hello,
I just setup the GW1004 gateway in Home Assistant. Some file Configuration had to be done. It wasn't too bad had to read posts in issues tab to figure a few things out. I have been using a SDR_RTL dongle to bring in my Ecowitt products data into Home Assistant. I am going to continue to use the Dongle because I have many mixed frequency sensors. I use the wind speed from my Atlas to shut the awning if wind speed is high. I also use many moisture sensors in garden to push stats to a package in Home Assistant that calculates rainfall, temp, pressure, soil humidity and etc to adjust the watering time. I have only scratched the surface of the possibilities of what Home Assistant and RF products can do.

"Good to know. I did manage to get the garbled1 version installed, but it did require some manual editing of some of the files.  I wonder what the best way to name the sensors/entities that are getting pulled in?  Can I hard-code the names in my GW-1100 that will then get pulled into HA?"
The sensors are auto named but can be easily changed in Home Assistant to your naming configuration.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2021, 10:29:53 PM by Automation Junkie »
Acurite Atlas
Raspberry Pi SDR-RTL dongle
Ecowitt WH51 (6)
Ecowitt WN34S (2)
Ecowitt WH31 (1)
Ecowitt GW1004 (1)

Offline Autofill

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2022, 10:45:31 AM »
Hi,

Just got a fresh new RPi 4 4GB and would like to install Home Assistant (HA) OS on it to veiw my Ecowitt sensors (and possibly do other stuff with it). It seems I have the option of installing a 32 or 64 bit version of HA. Could anyone tell me which OS bit version I should install if I want to use the Ecowitt plugin?

I saw this video, which is good, but it doesn't address which bit version I can use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNe5DxvOAoM

Also, would this work with GW1100?

thanks
Ecowitt WH2320-E
Ecowitt HP2551-C (SOLD - replaced with Home Assistant Fully Kiosk FireTab HD10)
Ecowitt GW1000
Ecowitt GW1100
Ecowitt WH69E
Ecowitt WH32B
Ecowitt WH57 (x3)
Ecowitt WH51 (x6)
Ecowitt WH41
Ecowitt WH41 (Honeywell-based USB/Supercap modified)
Ecowitt WH31 (x8)
Ecowitt WH55 (x4)
Ecowitt WH45
Ecowitt WN34S (x2)
Ecowitt WN35
Ecowitt Wittboy running on 12VDC  solar power

Offline bigalpha

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2022, 12:45:32 PM »
I believe that the 32 vs 64 bit difference is simply due to what hardware you're running.  The integrations / add-ons should work regardless.  I have mine running an a pi4 with an SSD.

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2022, 01:10:52 PM »
Use the 64bit version of HA
Yes the GW1100 should work just fine.

I am just experimenting with HA myself
G1ZFO

Ecowitt HP2551A + WH65 Tri-Wing (Wunderground: IGUILDFO67)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Wunderground: IGUILDFO68)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Mk2) test environment driving CumulusMX on a RPi 3b
Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)
Ecowitt WS90 Wittboy - Test
Ecowitt WH51 (x6) Soil Moisture Sensor
Ecowitt WH41 PM2.5 AQM Sensor
Ecowitt WH31 (x8) Thermo/Hygro Sensor
Ecowitt WS80 Ultrasonic Anemometer (pre-prod test)
Ecowitt WH57 Lightning Sensor -test
Ecowitt WH32-EP (SHT35) + Davis 7714 Screen
Ecowitt WH45 CO2/PM2.5/PM10 -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Soil Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Water Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN35 Leaf Moisture

Offline Autofill

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2022, 03:57:20 PM »
great, thanks good to know.

Being a 4Gb you can do either the 64 or 32bit, while the 8GB supposedly requires the 64bit and the 2 Gb only 32bit is recommended.

I was reading some posts (which are likely outdated now) that the 64bit HA had a rocky start, but now is fine.

Ok, 64-bit it is. thanks.
Ecowitt WH2320-E
Ecowitt GW1000
Ecowitt GW1100
Ecowitt WH69E
Ecowitt WH32B
Ecowitt WH57 (x3)
Ecowitt WH51 (x6)
Ecowitt WH41
Ecowitt WH31 (x8)
Ecowitt WH55 (x4)
Ecowitt WH45
Ecowitt WN34S (x2)
Ecowitt WN35

Offline bigalpha

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2022, 06:42:27 PM »
I don't know what your experience level is with this kind of stuff, but i started out using an sd card.  I moved over to an SSD recently and the performance gains are worth the effort, imo.

I'm curious to see what kind of automations you guys come up with!  I have some basic stuff like notifying when it's raining at home, and high wind alerts that tell me to close the garage (but only if it's open at the time).  I also picked up some soil sensors and the PM meter, etc.  I haven't figured out anything clever to use them for yet, though.

Offline doubleohwhatever

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2022, 07:36:34 PM »
I highly recommend using one of the remote backup options for Home Assistant. There are add-ons for samba, Google Drive, etc.

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2022, 05:22:47 AM »
I don't know what your experience level is with this kind of stuff, but i started out using an sd card.  I moved over to an SSD recently and the performance gains are worth the effort, imo.

I'm curious to see what kind of automations you guys come up with!  I have some basic stuff like notifying when it's raining at home, and high wind alerts that tell me to close the garage (but only if it's open at the time).  I also picked up some soil sensors and the PM meter, etc.  I haven't figured out anything clever to use them for yet, though.

Am still experimenting on a Pi2 and SD card, but quite impressed so far.
I will likely migrate to a Pi4 and SSD in the near future.
Not sure that I will use anything weatherwise for triggers in my smart home but just like the idea of it being all capatured etc
G1ZFO

Ecowitt HP2551A + WH65 Tri-Wing (Wunderground: IGUILDFO67)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Wunderground: IGUILDFO68)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Mk2) test environment driving CumulusMX on a RPi 3b
Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)
Ecowitt WS90 Wittboy - Test
Ecowitt WH51 (x6) Soil Moisture Sensor
Ecowitt WH41 PM2.5 AQM Sensor
Ecowitt WH31 (x8) Thermo/Hygro Sensor
Ecowitt WS80 Ultrasonic Anemometer (pre-prod test)
Ecowitt WH57 Lightning Sensor -test
Ecowitt WH32-EP (SHT35) + Davis 7714 Screen
Ecowitt WH45 CO2/PM2.5/PM10 -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Soil Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Water Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN35 Leaf Moisture

Offline Autofill

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2022, 11:54:22 AM »
Got this running on my RPi 4B via HAOS and its reporting numbers on the HA dashboard. Nice!

So, I also have another datalogging system on my network where I have a Ubuntu machine (server) that has InfluxDB and Grafana.

Anybody know how I can get HA with Ecowitt plug-in to send the data to my Ubuntu server InfluxDB? Do I have to configure NodeRed on the HAOS?

I guess im not certain how the Ecowitt plug-in sends the data out.

thanks
Ecowitt WH2320-E
Ecowitt GW1000
Ecowitt GW1100
Ecowitt WH69E
Ecowitt WH32B
Ecowitt WH57 (x3)
Ecowitt WH51 (x6)
Ecowitt WH41
Ecowitt WH31 (x8)
Ecowitt WH55 (x4)
Ecowitt WH45
Ecowitt WN34S (x2)
Ecowitt WN35

Offline bigalpha

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2022, 03:00:40 PM »
I believe that there is an add-on or integration for InfluxDB and Grafana that may be helpful, though I've not used it so can't provide more info than that, sorry!  I use Node Red to set up automations, but I don't think it's required to push data to InfluxDB.  There's some HA forums and an HA discord channel you can use for more direct support.

Offline Donnn

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2022, 10:08:02 AM »
No devices or entities.

I've installed the poppy fork but with no luck at getting devices or entities to appear. I've had the GW1000 working on another app, so I'm familiar with the setup. Startup in the log appears normal. Any ideas?

Offline Autofill

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2022, 10:16:02 AM »
I managed to get this work on HA with dataloging via InfluxDB to Grafana (on another server in home). I also got it work with Google Assistant, most of sensors are now able to be voice commanded to that. For example, Hey Google, what is front tree soil moisture humidity? and it tells me the number...it doesn;t display it on the Nest Hub....im working on that.

It was pretty straightforward.

Did you add HACS to HA? After that, you should be able to add the Ecowitt Weather Plugin, from which you will have to set up the plug to get it speak to HA. After restart, you see the entites box in for Ecowitt and it reports your sensors
Ecowitt WH2320-E
Ecowitt GW1000
Ecowitt GW1100
Ecowitt WH69E
Ecowitt WH32B
Ecowitt WH57 (x3)
Ecowitt WH51 (x6)
Ecowitt WH41
Ecowitt WH31 (x8)
Ecowitt WH55 (x4)
Ecowitt WH45
Ecowitt WN34S (x2)
Ecowitt WN35

Offline Donnn

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2022, 10:24:22 AM »
Yes, I Downloaded the poppy version through HACS. Originally I tried the garbled1 version. The integration is installed, but it doesn't populate with my devices. Looking at the manifest I do have the poppy version installed.

Offline Autofill

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2022, 10:38:08 AM »
Hmm, ok I have the garbled1 installed on HA OS running on RPi4. Maybe try the garbled1 again...im not sure what then problem could be without log files.
Ecowitt WH2320-E
Ecowitt GW1000
Ecowitt GW1100
Ecowitt WH69E
Ecowitt WH32B
Ecowitt WH57 (x3)
Ecowitt WH51 (x6)
Ecowitt WH41
Ecowitt WH31 (x8)
Ecowitt WH55 (x4)
Ecowitt WH45
Ecowitt WN34S (x2)
Ecowitt WN35

Offline Donnn

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2022, 10:40:09 AM »
Log file shows the integration starting without an error. Does your log show ecowitt devices? Mine doesn't

Offline Autofill

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2022, 10:47:35 AM »
It show the entities available when I go to the integration page. The only issues I have in the log is that the plug-in doesn't support my leaf wetness sensor. (yet)...are you entities showing up on the integration page?  like this below? if  so, just click on entities and you should see the individual entites/sensors

« Last Edit: February 07, 2022, 10:49:23 AM by Autofill »
Ecowitt WH2320-E
Ecowitt GW1000
Ecowitt GW1100
Ecowitt WH69E
Ecowitt WH32B
Ecowitt WH57 (x3)
Ecowitt WH51 (x6)
Ecowitt WH41
Ecowitt WH31 (x8)
Ecowitt WH55 (x4)
Ecowitt WH45
Ecowitt WN34S (x2)
Ecowitt WN35

Offline Donnn

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2022, 10:55:45 AM »
I have no devices or entities created by the integration.

Offline Autofill

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2022, 10:57:25 AM »
I would recommed uninstalling the plug-in, restarting, and try again. It seems its not configured properly.

Also, confirm that the GW1100 is broadcasting data.
Ecowitt WH2320-E
Ecowitt GW1000
Ecowitt GW1100
Ecowitt WH69E
Ecowitt WH32B
Ecowitt WH57 (x3)
Ecowitt WH51 (x6)
Ecowitt WH41
Ecowitt WH31 (x8)
Ecowitt WH55 (x4)
Ecowitt WH45
Ecowitt WN34S (x2)
Ecowitt WN35

Offline Autofill

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2022, 11:16:39 AM »
I don't know if this will made a difference, maybe try putting this in te path in your WS View app ( and restart HA and the Ecowitt GW1000).

/data/report/
Ecowitt WH2320-E
Ecowitt GW1000
Ecowitt GW1100
Ecowitt WH69E
Ecowitt WH32B
Ecowitt WH57 (x3)
Ecowitt WH51 (x6)
Ecowitt WH41
Ecowitt WH31 (x8)
Ecowitt WH55 (x4)
Ecowitt WH45
Ecowitt WN34S (x2)
Ecowitt WN35