Author Topic: Any suggestions for a truly Battery Power Cam  (Read 1557 times)

Offline tricky

Any suggestions for a truly Battery Power Cam
« on: February 28, 2021, 10:26:01 AM »
I've presently got a ReoLink E1 inside the house looking out through a window to take an image which I can either FTP or access direct via an API call
But I'd like the camera to be outside (avoids reflection on the glass and I can situate where I ideally want it)
I cannot run power cables/ethernet externally so need a battery powered camera

I've debated over creating a Solar setup to recharge a suitable battery with solar controllers etc. in the shed and mounting the camera where my Weather Station will be but ideally I'd like a self contained camera accessible over wifi that can wake up and shut down periodically to send the image or wake when I ask I.e. Via an API call to grab the image.

Anyone using anything that is truly wireless?
Don't mind a small solar panel to keep a battery topped up in the camera..

The Reolink Argus range look ideal but the devices can only be accessed via their own Software from what I have read

thanks
+++++++++++++++++++
Ecowitt WH65B
Ecowitt HP2551-C
Ecowitt WH32B
Ecowitt WH31 x8
Ecowitt GW1000
Ecowitt BP1000 Battery Extension

Ventus W830 from a Dead weather sensor

2x Raspberry Pi's with WeeWX (RTL-SDR and GW1000 feeds), Synology Docker with CumulusMX

Offline Great.Gonzos

Re: Any suggestions for a truly Battery Power Cam
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2021, 02:41:18 PM »
I’ve been using Wyze Cams almost since they started business 3 years ago. I have 5 or 6 here and two more at our RV site. They recently released an outdoor cam. It is totally battery operated, rechargeable and works well at night as well. They can be accessed via their app anytime from anywhere and they can send alerts. They are also relatively cheap. Depending on activity/alerts sent, each charge can last several months (they claim up to 6 and mine out front doesn’t miss that by much.) The drawbacks that I can see for you are two-fold. But you can judge that. First, they require a bridge to connect. The bridge can handle up to 4 cams. So you’d need the bridge with your first. Not a big deal, but something to be aware of. Second, I don’t know that they have an API beyond their app. But they will record to an SD once set properly. And again, they’ll send alerts via text. The starter kit comes with 1 outdoor cam and a bridge for only $50. Extra cams are $40 each I think. I just put my station up and have considered adding one to mine as well. Just not there ... yet.
Hardware: Ambient Weather 2902C (2)
                Ecowitt GW1000 Console
                Ecowitt WH57 Lightning Detector
                Acurite bits
Station ID: GWX1935/KMIHOLLA153, GBX1959/KMIHOPKI19

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2021, 02:55:35 PM »
I have three Argus cams and I don't see any way to do anything other than App. Too bad as they are awesome cameras otherwise.

At the time I wanted to find an FTP cam with solar but struck out Googling for one. I ended up putting the Reo's up for Front Door and the like with all the deliveries these days.

If you find anything I sure would like to know.

Offline tricky

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2021, 04:51:46 AM »
I have three Argus cams and I don't see any way to do anything other than App. Too bad as they are awesome cameras otherwise.

At the time I wanted to find an FTP cam with solar but struck out Googling for one. I ended up putting the Reo's up for Front Door and the like with all the deliveries these days.

If you find anything I sure would like to know.

I've been in touch with Reolink and they've confirmed no plans to add the feature of remote access/API to anything but their own software so that rules out Reolink Argus range.

I've also looked into using one of their RLC410-W cameras with a self contained Power Supply (solar) but with the cost of the battery/panel and controller being ~£250UKP this is a pricey option given limited Sunshine so needing a bigger a panel. 

It's only for a Weather upload so through the glass will have to do!  I might try make a box to surround the camera to stop internal light affecting the image and perhaps some type of polarising filter on the glass to try minimise external reflections.
+++++++++++++++++++
Ecowitt WH65B
Ecowitt HP2551-C
Ecowitt WH32B
Ecowitt WH31 x8
Ecowitt GW1000

2x Raspberry Pi's with WeeWX (RTL-SDR and GW1000 feeds), Synology Docker with CumulusMX

Offline tricky

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2021, 06:06:28 AM »
I’ve been using Wyze Cams almost since they started business 3 years ago. I have 5 or 6 here and two more at our RV site. They recently released an outdoor cam. It is totally battery operated, rechargeable and works well at night as well. They can be accessed via their app anytime from anywhere and they can send alerts. They are also relatively cheap. Depending on activity/alerts sent, each charge can last several months (they claim up to 6 and mine out front doesn’t miss that by much.) The drawbacks that I can see for you are two-fold. But you can judge that. First, they require a bridge to connect. The bridge can handle up to 4 cams. So you’d need the bridge with your first. Not a big deal, but something to be aware of. Second, I don’t know that they have an API beyond their app. But they will record to an SD once set properly. And again, they’ll send alerts via text. The starter kit comes with 1 outdoor cam and a bridge for only $50. Extra cams are $40 each I think. I just put my station up and have considered adding one to mine as well. Just not there ... yet.

Just spent a good hour reading the reviews etc. on these cams and they get some +/- but overall look good
Unfortunately its the remote access (to grab an image) seems to be the limiter even if you backup the image to the base station - which would be the ideal place  to grab the file from.  The camera have "schedule" recordings and time-lapse quite easily.

Amazon.US will ship these to UK and some of the housing covers look cool (bird houses!) again available on Amazon
Might consider even as a wildlife camera for the garden
+++++++++++++++++++
Ecowitt WH65B
Ecowitt HP2551-C
Ecowitt WH32B
Ecowitt WH31 x8
Ecowitt GW1000

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2021, 04:26:08 PM »
Sorry if I don't fully understand what you're trying to do. You can set up the Reolink cameras to FTP an image to an FTP server / directory. Once the camera is setup it will work on its own.

Set up FTP via Reolink Client (Windows)
https://support.reolink.com/hc/en-us/articles/360003575993-Set-up-FTP-via-Reolink-Client-Windows-

Set up FTP via Reolink App
https://support.reolink.com/hc/en-us/articles/360003493434-Set-up-FTP-via-Reolink-App

How to Set up FTP via Reolink Client (Mac)
https://support.reolink.com/hc/en-us/articles/360004083433-How-to-Set-up-FTP-via-Reolink-Client-Mac-

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2021, 06:19:52 PM »
See bold highlight:

Applies to: All Reolink POE NVRs and IP cameras( E1 Zoom is included) except for all Reolink battery-powered cameras, Reolink wifi nvr system, Reolink E1, Reolink E1 Pro, B400, D400, B800, D800, and Reolink Lumus

These are the cameras of discussion, solar battery models. They do not give the option as it is considered the wrong product to upload constantly, the battery would  not last well.

Offline tricky

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2021, 02:48:01 AM »
Sorry if I don't fully understand what you're trying to do. You can set up the Reolink cameras to FTP an image to an FTP server / directory. Once the camera is setup it will work on its own.

Battery cameras from Reolink won't support these features ... I want an external camera (battery / solar powered) that will intermittently wake, send me an image and go back to sleep for a defined period of time before repeating again.
+++++++++++++++++++
Ecowitt WH65B
Ecowitt HP2551-C
Ecowitt WH32B
Ecowitt WH31 x8
Ecowitt GW1000

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2021, 05:50:37 AM »
If you like the ReoLink brand, this support page lists all the models that will do FTP:

https://support.reolink.com/hc/en-us/articles/900000623886-How-to-Configure-to-Upload-Continuous-Recordings-to-FTP-on-Reolink-App

Applies to:  RLC-410; RLC-410-5MP; RLC-410S; RLC-411; RLC-411-5MP; RLC-411S; RLC-411S-5MP; RLC-420; RLC-420-5MP; RLC-422-4MP; RLC-422-5MP; RLC-423; RLC-423S; RLC-511; RLC-520; C1; C1 Pro; C2; C2 Pro; E1 Zoom; RLC-410W; RLC-410W-5MP; RLC-410WS; RLC-411WS; RLC-411WS-5MP; RLC-422W; RLC-423WS; RLC-511W;RLC-422W-5MP; RLN16-410;RLN8-410; RLN8-410-E;

Offline tricky

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2021, 06:53:46 AM »
If you like the ReoLink brand, this support page lists all the models that will do FTP:

https://support.reolink.com/hc/en-us/articles/900000623886-How-to-Configure-to-Upload-Continuous-Recordings-to-FTP-on-Reolink-App

Applies to:  RLC-410; RLC-410-5MP; RLC-410S; RLC-411; RLC-411-5MP; RLC-411S; RLC-411S-5MP; RLC-420; RLC-420-5MP; RLC-422-4MP; RLC-422-5MP; RLC-423; RLC-423S; RLC-511; RLC-520; C1; C1 Pro; C2; C2 Pro; E1 Zoom; RLC-410W; RLC-410W-5MP; RLC-410WS; RLC-411WS; RLC-411WS-5MP; RLC-422W; RLC-423WS; RLC-511W;RLC-422W-5MP; RLN16-410;RLN8-410; RLN8-410-E;

Battery Powered Reolinks do not support FTP
+++++++++++++++++++
Ecowitt WH65B
Ecowitt HP2551-C
Ecowitt WH32B
Ecowitt WH31 x8
Ecowitt GW1000

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2021, 10:59:29 AM »
 #-o Wish I had realized that!  ;) ;) =D>

Offline rsrkaslo

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2021, 12:47:46 AM »
You could use an old Android phone (either waterproof phone or in a waterproof case/enclosure), a cellphone solar charger, and an app I created (not free, $2 USD) that will capture, process, and FTP the image.  You would need to make sure there is enough solar power to handle the phone you are using.  I've had a Moto G 1st Gen run for multiple days on battery, so the app isn't using much power as long as you cover the proximity sensor (turns off the screen with the app still running), and turn off things you aren't using (cell radio, Bluetooth, background apps, etc).

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ca.impractical.ftpcam

anything