Author Topic: WifiLogger v1 sending to WU but not CWOP  (Read 879 times)

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
WifiLogger v1 sending to WU but not CWOP
« on: December 08, 2020, 03:52:39 PM »

I would like to try to fix this problem without more $$$.

I use WifiLogger V1.
My data goes through wifilogger to Real Time Data, to WU, and to CWOP. There is nothing wrong with the export set up in either one on Real Time. Checked both.

The Issue:
WU continues to show updated data, on time, and with no evident problems; however, CWOP is no longer receiving data, so therefore neither are MADIS and MESOWEST.

What I have already done:
I have tried a hard reboot of my console. This worked for about 20 minutes as MESOWEST showed 2 data entries. Then it quit again.

The latest update to my WifiLogger v1 was in November, about 3 weeks ago. I am using version 2.30 now. After that update, there were no problems for about 10 days. Then, this problem began. It seemed to correct itself for about a week. Now it is really gone.

What I would like to get fixed:
If I can get this thing to send to CWOP again, I'll be happy.

Help from anyone with wifilogger experience would be appreciated. I feel that the problem lies there. My tech level isn't real high, so keep explanations as plain as you can.

Appreciate, in advance! Anything else I can provide in details, just let me know.

David in Kansas

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
Re: WifiLogger v1 sending to WU but not CWOP
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2020, 04:04:42 PM »
I need to make a reply to my own post.

Once again, data is being received by CWOP and MESO, MADIS.

Just suddenly started out of the blue. (18:35 GMT)

Original question still stands: Anyone explain or help?

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2020, 05:27:26 PM »
Sorry I can't help on the technical, but can you run debug i.e. 192.168.0.160/debug and see what it is saying, especially when it is not uploading.  Give it a few minutes to go through the cycle.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2020, 06:24:06 PM »
WiFiLogger is not randomizing the CWOP server address rotation. If a server goes down that was the one you were using then you are left out in limbo. Seems like a WiFiLogger firmware bug to fix. I checked out a few other WiFiLogger CWOP stations and you aren't the only one with this issue.

Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2020, 06:26:15 PM »
WiFiLogger is not randomizing the CWOP server address rotation. If a server goes down that was the one you were using then you are left out in limbo. Seems like a WiFiLogger firmware bug to fix. I checked out a few other WiFiLogger CWOP stations and you aren't the only one with this issue.

Thanks, galfert. Appreciate the added information.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2020, 10:35:13 AM »

I am preparing some new functions in WiFiLogger at the moment, to store IPs and mark them as working or not.
WU has several IPs, CWOP as well.
After modification. WFL should try connect, to more than one server.
Problem with CWOP is that is is not always send confirmation.
WU has text "SUCCESS" which will help to mark proper transmission. WL.COM has info.
but CWOP not all servers serve confirmation.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2020, 07:32:24 PM »
Why store IPs? The whole purpose of DNS is to not have to remember IPs. All you need is to use cwop.aprs.net for CWOP and rotate.aprs.net for Ham IDs. Each time a DNS lookup should occur into the DNS system.

The problem of storing IPs is that when you store IPs the stored list could then use an invalid and disabled IP address. By instead using a FQDN (fully qualified domain name) then those responsible for servers can amend the list of IPs that will resolve in the DNS system thereby removing the possibility an inactive server is used.  Using stored IPs will result in missed packets at various time frames so instead of updating every 5 minutes it will randomly update or not depending if the used IP is valid or not.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 07:35:02 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole