Author Topic: Weathersite: an HTML Console for Davis WLL  (Read 9893 times)

Offline k5ktf

Re: Weathersite: an HTML Console for Davis WLL
« Reply #75 on: June 20, 2021, 01:37:42 AM »
So far, so good, I have this running on CentOS7_64. Just got a Vantage Vue and WLL delivered,  up in the air,  and online today (replacing an old Ambient).
Being on my regular web server, had to open ports in firewalld, fix the subnet on the server itself (my private network is a /13, with the WLL on .1.x and my server on .0.x)
I thought I locked myself out when I added the local subnet to the settings, silly me was hitting it via the public DNS/IP at first, had to change the URL to the private IP of the server..... (good test! it wouldnt let me into the settings via the public NIC....)

My question: How hard do you think it would it be for those with some programming knowledge (old school HTML, ColdFusion, PERL, etc) to add things to the main screen? Is there some readme on what files do what?
Being in ARES, we run weather nets (Ham radio) a lot, and the NWS is always wanting "severe" reports, like rain rate >2"/hr, wind speeds > X, etc., and  Im not seeing any rain data on my GUI & charts?
Id love to add these to the main display, as I plan on having this pulled up on a separate monitor on the wall in the office here for quick reference.

Thanks for this! I was going to start coding something up in plain old javascript/html/etc, but then found this.

Offline Sleuth255

« Reply #76 on: August 23, 2021, 12:03:18 PM »
FYI updated code pushed to the repository.  If you are using the climacell API to retrieve forecast data you will need this update.

Offline Sleuth255

« Reply #77 on: August 24, 2021, 11:34:34 AM »
So far, so good, I have this running on CentOS7_64. Just got a Vantage Vue and WLL delivered,  up in the air,  and online today (replacing an old Ambient).
Being on my regular web server, had to open ports in firewalld, fix the subnet on the server itself (my private network is a /13, with the WLL on .1.x and my server on .0.x)
I thought I locked myself out when I added the local subnet to the settings, silly me was hitting it via the public DNS/IP at first, had to change the URL to the private IP of the server..... (good test! it wouldnt let me into the settings via the public NIC....)

My question: How hard do you think it would it be for those with some programming knowledge (old school HTML, ColdFusion, PERL, etc) to add things to the main screen? Is there some readme on what files do what?
Being in ARES, we run weather nets (Ham radio) a lot, and the NWS is always wanting "severe" reports, like rain rate >2"/hr, wind speeds > X, etc., and  Im not seeing any rain data on my GUI & charts?
Id love to add these to the main display, as I plan on having this pulled up on a separate monitor on the wall in the office here for quick reference.

Thanks for this! I was going to start coding something up in plain old javascript/html/etc, but then found this.

Sorry about the response delay.  Rain data will appear on the conditions display when a storm is active.  Everything you need to play with the code is in app.js.  Its all javascript.  You might want to create a branch off the main git repo so you can incorporate changes.

Offline WI1SKY

« Reply #78 on: August 24, 2021, 02:22:42 PM »
This is a really nice project. Have you considered a connection via Meteobridge for those that don't have a WLL?

Offline Sleuth255

« Reply #79 on: August 24, 2021, 02:50:33 PM »
It certainly wouldn't be difficult since the WLL interface is pretty modular.  Weathersite does depend on UDP traffic to provide realtime info however.

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #80 on: August 25, 2021, 03:02:23 PM »
I think this is amazing what you have achieved

Offline WI1SKY

« Reply #81 on: August 25, 2021, 03:35:52 PM »
It certainly wouldn't be difficult since the WLL interface is pretty modular.  Weathersite does depend on UDP traffic to provide realtime info however.

So can I twist your arm for a non-coder fellow cheese-head?

Offline Sleuth255

« Reply #82 on: September 02, 2021, 10:17:22 AM »
I'll add it to my "winter project" list. :) 

BTW: for those of you who aren't aware, WeatherSite is also available as a DIY construction project using a raspberry PI 4b.  Complete step by step installation instructions are described in the construction topic located in the software development section of this forum.  Here is the link to that topic.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 10:25:05 AM by Sleuth255 »

Offline Sleuth255

« Reply #83 on: December 09, 2021, 01:38:11 PM »
Bugfix pushed to repo: chart wind direction arrow shows N not SE if average direction is SE.

Offline NC4AB

« Reply #84 on: January 20, 2022, 05:42:22 PM »
Long time lurker / first time poster -

Thank you for a great app.  I love my Vantage Vue but intensely dislike the Davis console. 

Loaded the app onto a spare Pi 3B+ since Raspberry Pi's of any variety are currently unobtanium, and with a few tweaks on the settings and in 10 minutes it was up and running.  The 3B+ seems to be working fine with no issues.

NC4AB

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #85 on: January 20, 2022, 06:33:29 PM »
I love my Vantage Vue but intensely dislike the Davis console. 
To each their own. Davis console are designed with the "ugly" monochrome for a reason, very low power consumption. Show me another brand console that'll last nine months on battery power alone. It's made to be functional, not pretty.

Offline Luminoxs

« Reply #86 on: February 10, 2022, 02:02:42 PM »
Sleuth255

Do you have plans on incorporating the UV and Solar sensors for PRO2 and/or adding support for the Davis Airlink system? As of now, there is no way to display the Airlink data via Davis API v1 other than using the app or weatherlink.com.

Offline Sleuth255

« Reply #87 on: February 15, 2022, 11:24:01 PM »
Weathersite could conceivably poll for AQI data using the v2 weatherlink api  in the same way it polls for METAR data I suppose, but its not on my todo list currently.  Its kind of a shame that Davis decided to go cloud-only for the airlink device since one would think it could be a very useful thing to have in a remote area station.   I have been considering adding UV/Solar data however.

Offline teryasar

« Reply #88 on: February 18, 2022, 01:32:37 PM »
Hello,
I need a real time HTML console that can get data from Davis WLL.
I will use 2 anemometers. Can I see both of them real time (ie.3 second) data on same screen?

Offline Sleuth255

« Reply #89 on: February 21, 2022, 11:43:29 AM »
Weathersite currently only handles one anemometer.

Offline Luminoxs

« Reply #90 on: February 24, 2022, 02:02:23 PM »
Weathersite could conceivably poll for AQI data using the v2 weatherlink api  in the same way it polls for METAR data I suppose, but its not on my todo list currently.  Its kind of a shame that Davis decided to go cloud-only for the airlink device since one would think it could be a very useful thing to have in a remote area station.   I have been considering adding UV/Solar data however.

AirLink device isn't an could-only device. I can get AirLink data by going to 192.168.1.3/v1/current_conditions on my local network like I can with my WLL.

Offline Sleuth255

« Reply #91 on: March 04, 2022, 01:28:11 PM »
is 192.168.1.3 the address of your airlink device?

Offline Luminoxs

« Reply #92 on: March 04, 2022, 01:42:37 PM »

Offline Sleuth255

« Reply #93 on: March 05, 2022, 10:03:29 AM »
Nice.  Adding it to Weathersite is easy.  I'll have to pick one up; I've been putting it off because I didn't realize it had a local api. 

Also, for those of you who are using wunderground for weathersite zoomed in radar displays, you may have noticed that the base reflectivity feeds are showing "station down for maintenance".  It doesn't look like the BR feeds are going to ever resume (this is a Nexrad decision), so you can flip weathersite to the composite feed by changing "type=N0Q" in the URL to "type=NCR".