Author Topic: Davis Health information (transmission strength, etc.) extension for weewx  (Read 1969 times)

Offline uajqq

I've been working on an extension for weewx that pulls in detailed health information on Davis sensors through the v2 API, since the new WeatherLink Live device doesn't publish the data locally. Let me know what you think:

https://github.com/uajqq/weewx-davishealthapi

(I'm pretty new at this, so please let me know about any bugs and I'll do my best to fix them!)

Some screenshots to illustrate:
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Example using the Belchertown skin:

Offline noctilucent

Could this be updated to also talk to the Meteostick?  The driver for this reports some of this information, in particular the battery, supercap, and solar cell info which it'd be very useful to know, but the API is different.  Unfortunately I don't speak Python so I'm not sure how to get the data from the Meteostick driver into the davishealthapi code.

Offline uajqq

That might have to be a whole new driver; I don't have a MeteoStick so I wouldn't be able to test anything.

Offline noctilucent

I can run any tests you'd like if that helps, not sure what the easiest way to move forward on this would be but I'd be happy to give things a go.

Offline noctilucent

I've been poking around with this a bit, the default display just shows a battery status of "OK" or "Low", and this post seems to indicate that that's all it's capable of.  The WeatherLink Live driver also only reports the binary OK/Low information, how are you getting the additional information?  Is this something that you need newer ISS firmware for?

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
Darn, almost enough to make one go out and get a Davis Vantage station!

Very nice work.  I will be upfront and say I will get the software off from github and study it to see how you do this.  Very nice graphs, and you've done it just as I would envision it being most helpful for those who want to have this data (and really, now, who wouldn't?)
Nice work, and thanks for sharing. Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline uajqq

Re: Davis Health information (transmission strength, etc.) extension for weewx
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2021, 01:34:42 PM »
I've been poking around with this a bit, the default display just shows a battery status of "OK" or "Low", and this post seems to indicate that that's all it's capable of.  The WeatherLink Live driver also only reports the binary OK/Low information, how are you getting the additional information?  Is this something that you need newer ISS firmware for?

Sorry for very delayed reply -- the extra information is taken from Davis WeatherLink online via an API key, which you can generate from your account. At present, that's the only way to obtain the information; the station has no way to report the information locally, as you've noted. It's a frustrating limitation and Davis has been promising to "look into it" for a while.

Offline noctilucent

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2021, 12:11:23 AM »
Sorry for very delayed reply -- the extra information is taken from Davis WeatherLink online via an API key, which you can generate from your account. At present, that's the only way to obtain the information; the station has no way to report the information locally, as you've noted. It's a frustrating limitation and Davis has been promising to "look into it" for a while.

Unfortunately I'm reading the station via an SDR so Davis aren't involved in the process at all... do you know if the binary value reporting is a limitation of older ISS's (which mine is), or something the WeatherLink process imposes?

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2021, 04:21:00 AM »
The ISS (any model) only sends a binary battery state.
Mark

Offline noctilucent

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2021, 04:41:50 AM »
The ISS (any model) only sends a binary battery state.

Hmm, so where does the actual-value supercap and solar cell data come from if the ISS only sends a binary value?

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2021, 04:49:48 AM »
It doesn't, that is not from an ISS, probably a Vue.
Mark

Offline noctilucent

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2021, 05:02:05 AM »
It doesn't, that is not from an ISS, probably a Vue.

Ah, thanks, that was the missing info.

anything