Author Topic: Nominations for Featured WX Website Winter, 2008 now open  (Read 5365 times)

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
Nominations for Featured WX Website Winter, 2008 now open
« on: April 18, 2009, 12:29:37 AM »
It's time to start the search for the WXForum.net Featured Weather Website for Fall, 2008, so please post your nominations (with a short description about your nominee) in this thread.

Gary's guidance
Please list your nominations in this thread - it certainly can't hurt for you to describe why you think your nomination is deserving of this honor.

Don't forget that it is perfectly OK to nominate someone who has been nominated in the past but was not selected! We've had some very deserving nominees, and close runoffs!

Some criteria to consider when making nominations:

The visual attractiveness of the site
Ease of navigation
Quality and quantity of useful or interesting information
Educational value
Distinctiveness

While not a hard and fast rule, sites that only use the unmodified default web page template that comes with the software, while absolutely useful and functional, may not cross into that next level to warrant featuring in this manner. Please try to address these areas while nominating a site.

We'll run the nominations through Friday, April 24, 2009, then start a new thread for polling on Saturday April 25, 2009. The polling will run through Sunday, May 3, 2009.

Just for reference, here were the previous honorees:
Fall, 2008 - Featured Weather Website is espwxctr.com
Summer, 2008 - Featured Weather Website is ThorntonWeather.com
Spring, 2008 - Featured Weather website is RoanokeValleyWeather.com
Winter, 2007 - Featured Weather website is DeltaWeatherCam.com
Fall, 2007 - Featured Weather Website is tobaccovilleweather.com
Summer, 2007 - Featured Weather Website is neondesert.com
Spring, 2007 - Featured Weather Website is desertweather.com
Winter, 2006 - Featured Weather Website carterlake.org
Fall, 2006 - Featured website Saratoga-weather.org
May, 2006 - featured website beamsvillewx.ca
April, 2006 - featured website capeweather.com
January, 2006 - featured website weather.anolecomputer.com
December, 2005 - Featured website tawasbayweather.com
November, 2005 - Featured website oldlineweather.com
October, 2005 - Featured website weatherbus.com
September, 2005 - featured website - Loganvillageweather.com
August, 2005 - Featured website Lighthouseweather.com

Details on each of the above sites are available on the Featured Weather Website forum.

Let the nominations begin!
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline kray1000

• Purveyor of wry
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.roanokevalleyweather.com
Re: Nominations for Featured WX Website Winter, 2008 now open
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 01:55:32 AM »
I'd like to nominate Lonnie's Weather Station of Greenville, South Carolina.

Lonnie's site is of the few that uses a dark background and yet is easy to read.  He uses simple colors that are easy on the eyes and a logical site navigation menu easily visible near the top of the page.  His site is a perfect example of how it's possible to include lots of relevant information while avoiding a long, scrolling home page.  His page loads very quickly as well.

Lonnie's site is distinctive, not resembling any others I've seen.  Although there are many great template-based sites, I do enjoy looking at unique weather sites like his.

Lonnie has streamed his local NOAA weather station on his site religiously for 2½ years.  As I often do when an area has severe weather, I was listening to it last weekend when tornado warnings were issued to his west and south.  His site is of particular interest to me because my parents live less than 5 miles away.

I also find the "Not So Weather-Related" section at the bottom interesting, especially listening to his music playlists (don't tell anyone, :-$ :-$) and looking at his Atlanta Braves photos.   8-)

Disclaimer:  I was not compensated for this message, dammit.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 02:00:41 AM by kray1000 »

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 04:13:00 AM »
Thanks for bring up that worthy site for nomination.  I agree with your thoughts on it.  But I wish the "Not so Weather-Related" headline was centered with the table above it.

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline Axelvold

• Forecaster
    • Axelvold's weather and photo
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 07:53:55 AM »
With the risk to sound selfish, I do nominate my own site http://www.axelvold.net

The site is easy to navigate and covers most areas in terms of weather.

There are some fines on the page such as weather maps and webcam archive of images from other weather stations around the world.

Other things that are on the page and that is not weather-related is my photo album where I publish photos I have taken.

The site is located on my own computer in Axelvold, so I do everything from the server to the layout of the site, it have been up and running since july 2008

So if you like my site, please give it your vote.

Regards
Lars Magnusson / webmaster & site owner
Lars Magnusson
Axelvold / Sweden
55° 57' 41" N / 13° 6' 1" E
WX Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus

Offline WeatherBeacon

• Chief
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.wxbeacon.com
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 11:26:59 AM »

There are many good sites developed by our members!

I nominate "Branford Weather Information Center" by firewall:

http://www.stillweather.com/

I am impressed mostly with how "clean" and visually appealing the site is.

It uses the WD/Ajax and other php and css scripts, but firewall has given it a wonderful look. The site includes such features as: tide and buoy information (including a unique tide meter), a variety of forecast, advisory and almanac options, a nice table summarizing the 3 week tide/sun/moon data, several nicely formatted pages of historical weather information, and includes its own GRLevel3 radar with animation and WDLive instruments.

The site also has a web cam and a news/weather blog. The site has two unique features:

a)  it has a police scanner audio, as seen on its front page, and
b)  it has a "What's happening?" page, which somehow uses Twitter to display Branford fire, Branford weather, and CT fire info.

The site has a consistent and attractive look throughout and uses the same popout menu on its left side.

Check it out!
Mae govannen!
Kevin  (Member AMS) http://www.wxbeacon.com               Genesee County, Michigan
Hardware:  Davis Vantage Pro Wireless, Midland WR-300
Software: VWS 14.01p43, WeatherFlash, & GRLevel3

Offline kray1000

• Purveyor of wry
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.roanokevalleyweather.com
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 12:03:37 PM »
The site has a consistent and attractive look throughout and uses the same popout menu on its left side.

Maybe we could get him to add "wxforum.net" to his "Popular Links" section.  #-o :lol:

Offline JOE

• Forecaster
    • Centralia IL Weather
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009, 01:03:47 PM »
I was going to nominate my site, but there's already some tough competition, so..

I am going to throw my support and vote to....... 8-)

Joe
www.centraliaweather.com
DW1376
KILCENTR2
K9RJN

Offline katlon

• LONNIE'S WEATHER STATION
  • Contributor
  • GO HEELS!!!
    • LONNIE'S WEATHER STATION
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2009, 07:46:34 PM »
Kevin
Thanks for the nomination. :grin: What a complete surprise. :oops: I have just tried to stay in the background and let the pros do their thing. I have learned so much from all the folks(too many to mention) who have shared their talents on this site. Just as this is happening I am in the process of updating my web hosting package. In order to do this I have had to take down most of the slideshows that were on there in order to try to maintain the music. More money for less space and bandwidth. Again, thanks for the nomination

Lonnie