Author Topic: Find scripts that are not used  (Read 622 times)

Offline griffo42

• Contributor
    • Carina Weather
Find scripts that are not used
« on: May 08, 2020, 02:25:25 AM »
I run the Saratoga scripts with Cumulus.  I would like to make my site as efficient as possible and to that end, I would like to shift all scripts that are not used by my current setup into an holding folder.  Could someone tell me a quick way, if possible, of finding those scripts which I don’t currently use?

Thanks

Keith
Brisbane, Australia
https://www.kstwx.net/index.php
Davis Vantage Pro2 Model #6152AU
Cumulus latest version
Saratoga Weather World template Cumulus plugin
Carina Weather, Brisbane.

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
Re: Find scripts that are not used
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2020, 06:41:46 AM »
Hi Keith,

I don't think there is a quick way of actually doing that. You would be best to create a list of all PHP files in your website. Then start crossing off the ones you know are used for definite.

Then ones you have left over you can start to diagnose to see what content they have and what they might do.

I'm sure if you post the filenames here were could try to identify them for you if you're stuck trying to understand what they do.

Sorry if that's not the answer you were hoping for.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

Regards Simon
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus (6162UK) • Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • AirLink • PurpleAir PA-II-SD • CumulusMX •

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2020, 06:45:40 AM »
Ps you need to update some scripts on your site too.

https://www.kstwx.net/check-fetch-times.php?show=versions

Regards Simon
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus (6162UK) • Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • AirLink • PurpleAir PA-II-SD • CumulusMX •

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2020, 01:43:58 PM »
Just a quick nb:  scripts that are 'not used' (i.e. not invoked) have no effect on your site's performance or efficiency.

The Base distribution of the Saratoga template does include scripts/files that can be used if various features are enabled (multilingual for example) and all the AJAX scripts for all the weather software plugins (as they are geographically based).
The World template also includes 3 forecast scripts:
WC-forecast.php (WU/TWC), AW-forecast.php (Aerisweather) and DS-forecast.php (DarkSky) with the latter included for folks who have an existing DarkSky API key which will work until the end of 2021.  The old WU-forecast.php was deprecated as they shut off that API last year, so that is one script you could delete without harm as it doesn't work anymore.

Like ConligWX says, you do need some updates...
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2020, 02:01:33 PM »
If your not wanting bots and trawlers, then I would create a robots.txt file and .htaccess to stop any unwanted access to files/folders and edited accordingly.

Also to harden your webserver use something like zbblock to stop the known hackers/trawlers and bots which is a fantastic script that also allows blocklists and cidram list blocking.

If you need any help with any of this just ask.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 02:24:24 PM by ConligWX »
Regards Simon

anything