Author Topic: Logging to view customized historical data  (Read 2361 times)

Offline dport

• Senior Contributor
Logging to view customized historical data
« on: August 01, 2019, 10:02:16 AM »
I've had wifi logger for a year.  I use it to upload to various sites (WU, PWS, CWOP, etc), but I'm really not tech savvy when it comes to scripts, coding, personal websites.  WU used to have a very nice interface for viewing customized historical data, HiLows, and precipitation in a given set of time (this is now gone due to data errors and the lack of ability to view customized dates).  CWOP does not offer good historical info.  PWS has errors in my precipitation data.  The archive feature on the logger itself can only go back so far.  I signed up for the trial on weatherlink 2.0.  I thought it was garbage.

Is there a simple way to view customized historical information going back in time?  I'm not interested in paying $50 a year to set up my own site.  Guess I am looking for another plug and play solution.  Perhaps this is not possible. 

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
Re: Logging to view customized historical data
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2019, 10:44:36 AM »
The other sites that WiFiLogger also uploads to, such as WOW where you can view historical data in graph and table, but not a great deal of customization https://wow.metoffice.gov.uk/observations/details?site_id=37595665 and AWEKAS and Weathercloud have historical data.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2019, 09:03:44 AM »
I've had wifi logger for a year.  I use it to upload to various sites (WU, PWS, CWOP, etc), but I'm really not tech savvy when it comes to scripts, coding, personal websites.  WU used to have a very nice interface for viewing customized historical data, HiLows, and precipitation in a given set of time (this is now gone due to data errors and the lack of ability to view customized dates).  CWOP does not offer good historical info.  PWS has errors in my precipitation data.  The archive feature on the logger itself can only go back so far.  I signed up for the trial on weatherlink 2.0.  I thought it was garbage.

Is there a simple way to view customized historical information going back in time?  I'm not interested in paying $50 a year to set up my own site.  Guess I am looking for another plug and play solution.  Perhaps this is not possible.

I have in preparation PHP&MySQL custom export for WiFiLogger. It is very similar to WL.COM, because WL IP is exporting all console data to WL.COM then WL.COM is displaying it. My functions also exporting all console data to data base, to display them all in next step.
But this has to be finished first. It will take a while.

For today, for WiFiLogger, for historical data best to use is:
- Free WL.COM account
- WeatherLink PC software which can download from WL.COM(not from WiFiLogger directly) all history data and display in own '95 style way.

Maybe it is not very nice, because of WL PC age, but works perfect and can handle all data on you disk driver.

So this is for today, but I am working on the other system.

Offline dport

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2019, 09:29:35 AM »
The other sites that WiFiLogger also uploads to, such as WOW where you can view historical data in graph and table, but not a great deal of customization https://wow.metoffice.gov.uk/observations/details?site_id=37595665 and AWEKAS and Weathercloud have historical data.

Enjoy,
Paul

Thank you both.  I think I figured out what I really want.  I'm after the "NOAA style reports".  I downloaded WeatherCat and connected it to WifiLogger.  This worked, but I don't have any historical data in the software, nor do I want to pay $54 after the trial ends.

Unfortunately, I have a MacBook Pro computer and WeatherLink software will not speak to WFL.  Unless there is a simple way to get NOAA style reports from another piece of software or website, I will utilize pwsweather as my preferred site for tracking historical data. 

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2019, 09:53:48 AM »
Unfortunately, I have a MacBook Pro computer and WeatherLink software will not speak to WFL.
Cumulus MX runs on Windows from Windows 7 onwards, and on Linux and Mac OS X.  https://cumuluswiki.wxforum.net/a/FAQ#What_operating_systems_does_Cumulus_run_on.3F

Unless there is a simple way to get NOAA style reports from another piece of software or website, I will utilize pwsweather as my preferred site for tracking historical data.   
CumulusMX provides NOAA reports   www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/reports/NOAAMO0819.txt   www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/reports/NOAAYR2019.txt

I use CumulusMX with WiFiLogger.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline dport

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2019, 09:59:22 AM »
Great, thank you.  A couple questions before I download Cumulus.  Will I be able to upload historical data to the software?  Will I need to run my computer continuous in order to upload to Cumulus?  (point of me purchasing the WFL was to not run a computer).  Apologies for the elementary questions. 

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2019, 11:11:05 AM »
Great, thank you.  A couple questions before I download Cumulus.  Will I be able to upload historical data to the software?  Will I need to run my computer continuous in order to upload to Cumulus?  (point of me purchasing the WFL was to not run a computer).  Apologies for the elementary questions.

WeatherLink is free for Macs.
You can make free DID on WeatherLink.com for USB logger to use it with WeatherLink PC. Instead of using computer you can use this DID with WiFiLogger.
WeatherLink.com is the only service which is accepting archive data from datalogger.

This data from WL.COM you can download by WeatherLink, or Cumulus, or some other programs.
Please try it.

You can also download same data from WiFiLogger localy, but if you have data logger interval set to 1 min, then this will be everyday. If you have interval 30 min, then software should be turn on every 1 month.

Offline dport

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2019, 12:50:11 PM »

You can make free DID on WeatherLink.com for USB logger to use it with WeatherLink PC. Instead of using computer you can use this DID with WiFiLogger.
WeatherLink.com is the only service which is accepting archive data from datalogger.

This data from WL.COM you can download by WeatherLink, or Cumulus, or some other programs.
Please try it.

You can also download same data from WiFiLogger localy, but if you have data logger interval set to 1 min, then this will be everyday. If you have interval 30 min, then software should be turn on every 1 month.

Thanks Wojtek.  I was having issues when inserting my DID/Key into Weatherlink PC (Mac version).  Was giving me an error message.  I'll play around with it a bit more and see if I can get it to work.  Thanks!

Edit:  Just to be clear, I have been using the WFL to upload to Weatherlink.com for a number of months now.  I cant figure out how to download the data into the Weatherlink software. 
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 01:11:56 PM by dport »

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2019, 02:10:02 PM »
A couple questions before I download Cumulus.  Will I be able to upload historical data to the software?
There is a Weatherlink to Cumulus convertor but I have no experience with this  https://cumulus.hosiene.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11349&p=134486&hilit=convert+weatherlink#p134486

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2019, 02:29:53 PM »

Please try it.

Thanks Wojtek.  I was having issues when inserting my DID/Key into Weatherlink PC (Mac version).  Was giving me an error message.  I'll play around with it a bit more and see if I can get it to work.  Thanks!

Edit:  Just to be clear, I have been using the WFL to upload to Weatherlink.com for a number of months now.  I cant figure out how to download the data into the Weatherlink software.

Now. We will solve your problem :)
When you fill form in WeatherLink PC. You are placing DID.
Password is not KEY, but password is the same, when you are logging to WL.COM.

Offline dport

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2019, 03:06:32 PM »

Please try it.

Now. We will solve your problem :)
When you fill form in WeatherLink PC. You are placing DID.
Password is not KEY, but password is the same, when you are logging to WL.COM.

Unfortunately this did not work.  When I input the DID with my WL.com password I get told that I can not use alphabetic characters.  When I use the DID with the KEY, it still does not work.  Also, for reference, within the WFL export interface, I have the mode set to "WL PC" for Weatherlink.  This is the page I am looking at in Weather Link PC: 

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 03:10:22 PM by dport »

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2019, 03:12:16 PM »
AFAIK Weatherlink for Mac does not allow downloads of data from weatherlink.com. You need to be using Weatherlink for Windows to access that feature.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline dport

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2019, 03:18:56 PM »
AFAIK Weatherlink for Mac does not allow downloads of data from weatherlink.com. You need to be using Weatherlink for Windows to access that feature.

I see.  This is disappointing as we only have two MacBook pros in my household.  I'll look to possibly get virtualization software (maybe VMware) so that I can run the windows version of Weatherlink.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2019, 03:32:50 PM »

I see.  This is disappointing as we only have two MacBook pros in my household.  I'll look to possibly get virtualization software (maybe VMware) so that I can run the windows version of Weatherlink.

Maybe someone will can say about Cumulus MX on Raspberry Pi. Is this set can download from WL.COM?

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2019, 04:11:31 PM »
To buy Apple computer in Poland I should sell my kidney. Maybe not today :)

I was thinking that Mac WeatherLink is 1:1 with WeatherLink PC. So I was thinking about this window:
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2019, 04:24:37 PM »
I was thinking that Mac WeatherLink is 1:1 with WeatherLink PC.

Unfortunately that isn't the case. WL for Windows is the full program, but WL for Mac has several features missing. I really wouldn't recommend anyone to use WL for Mac these days (unless all you need is simple local logging).
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline dport

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2019, 05:34:42 PM »
I was thinking that Mac WeatherLink is 1:1 with WeatherLink PC.

Unfortunately that isn't the case. WL for Windows is the full program, but WL for Mac has several features missing. I really wouldn't recommend anyone to use WL for Mac these days (unless all you need is simple local logging).

Sadly, weather is my second in line hobby, first is 4K video editing (mostly using drone footage) so a MacBook Pro is a must.  Scripts, coding, weather websites, etc are just areas I'm not familiar with.  I did give weather cat a try, but it hangs up when trying to download historical data.  It's a known error that many complain about online.  CumulusMX seems kind of clunky and I can't get it configured correctly. 

WFL has made my life easy with my VP2 in terms of uploading to many sites.  It's too bad the NWS or CWOP does not have a web program to produce NOAA Style Reports using historical data which we upload. 

Offline graxon

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2019, 04:48:29 PM »

I am using WiFiLogger to ftp weather data to a linux webserver, and the next step is to display the data through the website. I'm hoping CumulusMX can do this.

I have the FTP part working - WiFiLogger is sending the realtime.txt and wflexp.json files to the webserver every minute.
It seems that there are three more steps:
1. produce a webpage showing the current conditions
2. capture the realtime data to build up history
3. use the history to create graphs, wind rose, etc.

Can CumulusMX do this, without being connected to the weather station?
If not CumulusMX, are there any other suitable tools?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2019, 05:35:41 PM »
CumulusMX would need to be connected to access the data, log it, and process/FTP webtag-processed files for website, etc.

Without the need of a computer and just using the WiFiLogger realtime.txt this template can show the current data http://www.komokaweather.com/pws-wfl/index.php and also historical from the WiFiLogger uploaded WU account, etc.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2019, 07:47:39 PM »

I am using WiFiLogger to ftp weather data to a linux webserver, and the next step is to display the data through the website. I'm hoping CumulusMX can do this.

I have the FTP part working - WiFiLogger is sending the realtime.txt and wflexp.json files to the webserver every minute.
It seems that there are three more steps:
1. produce a webpage showing the current conditions
2. capture the realtime data to build up history
3. use the history to create graphs, wind rose, etc.

Thanks in advance for any advice

I have change JSON export. I have now 4 types of files. Old one will stay.
I have also PHP to feed MySQL. Works very ok.
How it works:
- logger table contains archive data.
- rtd table - contains current data, but there is only one row for station. No history of current data. RapidFire ability.
- hilow table - HiLows from station, but the last entry from the day stay in database. I do believe that could be very nice static data.
- wifiloggers table - info about console/station, but also many info about WiFiLogger itself.

I will need to improve some of those, but works very nice.

Next step is to take out this data and make web page to display it. It will take a while, but not forever.

In my opinion cheap hosting for $50 should be good for about 40 stations. So sytem with PHP&MySQL can be privet, or made for little club, friends.
For more stations on server you just need better hosting, but good hosting cost a lot.

PHP&MySQL can be installed on own home server, or Raspberry Pi. Hosting just has public IP.

I have info from people, that the best usage for station is when you can share with friends or neighbours.
On WL.COM you have to login to check public stations.
On PWS, or WeatherUnderground you have direct link to particular station.
PHP&MySQL display interface shoud have direct address to station, no login.

Offline dport

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2019, 09:38:43 AM »
CumulusMX would need to be connected to access the data, log it, and process/FTP webtag-processed files for website, etc.

Without the need of a computer and just using the WiFiLogger realtime.txt this template can show the current data http://www.komokaweather.com/pws-wfl/index.php and also historical from the WiFiLogger uploaded WU account, etc.

Enjoy,
Paul

Paul this is great.  It took me a day of reading about PHP, Apache (MacBook), etc but I managed to get this template working on a localhost.  It looks great.  The forecast is listed as "offline" so will need to fix that.  I used the Weatherlink.com API key along with my password and DID.  My WU data is wrecked.  I am not yet seeing historical info in the template though.  Perhaps I need to give it some more time to load.

Is there any advantage to not using WL.com?

Edit:  got the forecast language working with darksky API.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 09:48:33 AM by dport »

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2019, 09:55:32 AM »
Is there any advantage to not using WL.com?
I have the free weatherlink.com so historical data not available from that for me.
There are several versions of the HWS template using various sources, etc.  Wim wvdkuil has summarized his versions here http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=37448.msg386316#msg386316

A realtime version would have the quickest updates but for other advantages, it depends on what resources are available and used by you. 

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline graxon

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2019, 08:01:35 PM »
Thanks Paul and dport, The HWS templates look great, and they come with the option to use cron-jobs to historise the realtime data, so that really seems to provide the complete solution.

@Wojtek, the mysql scripting also sounds like a great solution for my situation. I'll certainly be interested to see it all working.

Thanks again
Graeme

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2019, 12:00:14 PM »
I have just tested free WL.COM if Davis didn't ask for purchasing subscription for WL IP DIDs and free DIDs for USB/Rs232.

No problem for now, but because they changing theirs subscription plans I don't know if it will stay like this.

One thing has change. Now we can store not 1000 pages, but 2000 pages.

PHP MySQL is stopped for short while, but I am testing it with my two WiFiLoggers and works promising.
When I will return to working with it (soon). I will made PHP to read database. Asking PHP script you will be able to read JSON file.
Then I will need template for RTD and template with charts for logger data. This will be like WL.COM, but without login and password.

anything