Author Topic: What firmware version work?  (Read 3042 times)

Offline Dave97

What firmware version work?
« on: June 03, 2019, 11:54:59 AM »
Trying to get vvp to work what versions will it work with?

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
Re: What firmware version work?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2019, 05:16:59 PM »
I see no one has answered this yet, so I'll attempt it.

First off, firmware of what?  I'm guessing your Davis console.  If that's the case, you can only go to version 1.90 of that firmware.  VVP died when the new LOOP2 commands came out for the logger/console after version 2.  So the latest V3 won't work either.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline Dave97

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2019, 06:19:47 PM »
I see no one has answered this yet, so I'll attempt it.

First off, firmware of what?  I'm guessing your Davis console.  If that's the case, you can only go to version 1.90 of that firmware.  VVP died when the new LOOP2 commands came out for the logger/console after version 2.  So the latest V3 won't work either.

Yes the console what about the data logger itself? does that have firmware if so how do you know what it's using? I can only find info about the green dot i am using the USB logger. It seems that if i bought a old console would it work with the newer VP2 sensor suit?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 06:22:13 PM by Dave97 »

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2019, 03:35:54 AM »
Afraid that it's best to avoid VVP completely these days - it will only still work in limited circumstances.

Loggers (other than the IP logger) do not have their own firmware - the only thing that matters here is the console firmware.

v1.90 DOES support LOOP2 - you need a version before v1.90 if you want something that does not offer LOOP2. To find the firmware version see:

https://www.manula.com/manuals/pws/davis-kb/1/en/topic/updating-console-firmware (first blue panel)

But it's not necessarily easy to acquire old firmware versions.

NB Using old firmware does not guarantee success. With some programs it is OK if they check for the availability or not of LOOP2 but other programs don't check and just expect LOOP2 to be there. Also, finding a free and compatible version of the virtual com port driver can be tricky with some versions of Windows - it would probably be helpful if someone could post an up-to-date summary of which drivers work with which Windows versions, noting that 32-bit Windows versions will have different options to 64-bit versions.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 06:01:27 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Dave97

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2019, 06:56:39 AM »
It makes sense that the IP version data logger has firmware and the rest don't. I can get a VP2 console with 1.82 firmware. Not sure if it will work with my new ISS suit? My console is using 3.15 and from looking at another post can not be downgraded.

What is the LOOP2 even for?

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2019, 07:16:04 AM »
New ISS will work fine with old consoles/firmware. LOOP2 provides some useful extra data items, but doing without LOOP2 is not much of an issue for most software (provided it doesn't require LOOP2 to be available to work at all).
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 08:09:18 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2019, 09:09:34 AM »
Hasn't someone on this forum used https://www.virtual-serial-port.org/products/vspdxp/ to emulate VVP?  There are about a half-dozen other such applications to share ports.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2019, 09:26:34 AM »
Hasn't someone on this forum used https://www.virtual-serial-port.org/products/vspdxp/ to emulate VVP?  There are about a half-dozen other such applications to share ports.

Well that sounds good if it's been shown to work robustly but I'd have guessed that the problem was that there's no intelligent buffer for the real-time data (or is there?), which VVP provides. If 'all' that's happening is that the console is being polled for real-time data 2/3/4x more often than usual then I'd wonder whether the console microcontroller is able to cope? Maybe the answer is that it can, but I'm slightly surprised.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline R_o_B

• WxElement panel
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2019, 09:37:52 AM »
I know I am a bit late...

Why do you need to use VirtualVP or rather, how do you plan to use VVP?

Knowing the reasons for using VVP, we might be able to propose other options to using VVP.
R_o_B
---
eMail: weather@herray.net

Offline Dave97

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2019, 09:44:27 AM »
I know I am a bit late...

Why do you need to use VirtualVP or rather, how do you plan to use VVP?

Knowing the reasons for using VVP, we might be able to propose other options to using VVP.

Simple to run my fav weather software cumulus, WD.

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2019, 11:07:27 AM »
VVP is essential to my over-the-top usage of my VPro2+ data:

I run it on the under-powered computer where the VPro2+ dongle is attached to a serial port.  It then feeds the data to Virtual Weather Station, Weather Display, Weather Link, and Vantage Pro Live on that computer.  Using the TCP/IP capabilities of VVP the data is then accessed by four, yes four, other computers all also running VVP.  One of them currently uploads the data to my web site while the other three are back-up machines that can be swapped in if and when one of the two primary computers fails.  The two primary  machines also transfer WD's data to my in-house testing server.

In short, I would be dead-in-the-water without VVP and it's amazing versatility.  I have steadfastly resisted botching my VPro2+ console with the crippled firmware update of several years ago, so VVP still functions flawlessly.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 11:09:41 AM by gwwilk »
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2019, 11:14:56 AM »

Well that sounds good if it's been shown to work robustly but I'd have guessed that the problem was that there's no intelligent buffer for the real-time data (or is there?), which VVP provides. If 'all' that's happening is that the console is being polled for real-time data 2/3/4x more often than usual then I'd wonder whether the console microcontroller is able to cope? Maybe the answer is that it can, but I'm slightly surprised.

As I said, IIRC someone here use(s/d)  Eltima successfully.  BICBW.  Anyway, why buffer - if as claimed - the paired ports are  essentially getting the data stream simultaneously?

It really is too bad htat unlike some SW authprs, the author of VVP did not release his code into open source after he  gave yup the ghost (figuratively I hope).
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2019, 11:17:11 AM »
Buffering is essential to capture all of the data that occurs while a VVP-attached machine is down for upgrades, or simply rebooting for any reason.  This data is otherwise lost to the bit bucket in the sky.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2019, 11:22:13 AM »
That sorta makes sense, but wouldn't the logger archive retain that info?

Offline Dave97

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2019, 11:25:03 AM »

As I said, IIRC someone here use(s/d)  Eltima successfully.  BICBW.  Anyway, why buffer - if as claimed - the paired ports are  essentially getting the data stream simultaneously?

It really is too bad htat unlike some SW authprs, the author of VVP did not release his code into open source after he  gave yup the ghost (figuratively I hope).

I would have paid $100 for a fee to use VVP. 

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2019, 11:31:05 AM »
The issue is the developer didn't want to add in the LOOP2 new updates.  So that's where he abandoned it.  Unfortunate for us...

I did have a paid copy.  And I would have paid to keep it.  Oh well...
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline Dave97

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2019, 11:32:35 AM »
The issue is the developer didn't want to add in the LOOP2 new updates.  So that's where he abandoned it.  Unfortunate for us...

I did have a paid copy.  And I would have paid to keep it.  Oh well...

We should start a go fund me for someone to build a new VVP.  :grin:

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2019, 11:36:52 AM »
I tried to get the Meteo guys to be interested in it.  They weren't.  They seem to have the most knowledge of Davis commands that I know of.

Wish I could do it.  I'm not a programmer.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2019, 11:43:05 AM »

This could work in individual cases perhaps but I suspect it's not a general solution - I'd have guessed it all depends on how the individual programs expect to receive the LOOP & LOOP2 packets. Let's just take a simple example of 2 programs connected and remember that programs pull/request data from the logger - it's not automatically pushed (except when multiple packets might be requested). The programs won't be running synchronously - the requests could be for just one packet at a time but off by eg one second relative to one another. ICBW as well but I see scope for quite a lot of confusion and potential errors if data from one program's request is automatically copied to a second one whether they're expecting it or not. Then what might happen if say 3 or 4 programs are attached? VVP deals with this (AIUI) by holding one master copy of a LOOP record at a time and copying this on request to its various client programs.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 11:47:26 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2019, 08:19:00 PM »
If the objective is to run Cumulus and Weather-Display simultaneously all you need to do is add a WeatherLink Live. Then Weather-Display can connect to the WLL and leave the display console logger for just Cumulus to use.

Going forward I think the WLL is the way to go (for multi-software use) as you'll be able to run multiple software simultaneously off the WLL.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 08:21:24 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

anything