Author Topic: New API Keys for Wunderground PWS data submitters are available  (Read 19166 times)

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
Re: New API Keys for Wunderground PWS data submitters are available
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2019, 10:34:23 AM »
The key is available ONLY to PWS data submitters to Wunderground.com.
So, in order to get a key you need to have your weather station submit data to WeatherUnderground as a WU member.

How to get a WU/TWC API Key:

Use your browser to open https://www.wunderground.com/member/api-keys
    If you are not logged in, you will be asked to. The system will also verify that you have a PWS uploading to the system.
    You will then see a blank box below “Your API keys”.
    Agree to the new Terms and Conditions by clicking in the small box next to “I agree”, click on the blue “GENERATE” box, and your new key will be created.

The key will be masked on the screen, but you can use the “Show” link below the box to see it.
    There is also another blue box, which, when clicked, copies the key to your clipboard.

Note.. some users have had problems with the portal using Firefox or IE.  You may need to use Google Chrome in incognito mode to work the key signup portal page.
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2019, 11:10:56 AM »
Hello SaratogaWX,

Yea I am submitting data... for 5yrs now... I also have an API key and I can see my API statistics... But for the life of me going to that link only takes me to my account... :(
I have been trying for weeks to get this new key :(

----
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus +FARS|Meteobridge Nano SD|Meteohub|Meteobridge MR-3020|WU KTXSPRIN75/PWS JRARGWX75/CWOP EW2972/WBB TXWDVUE75/Blitzortung ID: 1142|AWEKAS: 12095
Donations are welcome: https://paypal.me/ffuentesb

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2019, 11:22:51 AM »
Maybe I allready migrated and forgot? LOL
Happens...

----
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus +FARS|Meteobridge Nano SD|Meteohub|Meteobridge MR-3020|WU KTXSPRIN75/PWS JRARGWX75/CWOP EW2972/WBB TXWDVUE75/Blitzortung ID: 1142|AWEKAS: 12095

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2019, 11:58:50 AM »
Hello SaratogaWX,

Yea I am submitting data... for 5yrs now... I also have an API key and I can see my API statistics... But for the life of me going to that link only takes me to my account... :(
Contact Victoria directly Victoria.Gardner@ibm.com for assistance about acquiring an API key.

Happens...
Your old key will expire and not be automatically migrated .. you'll have to use the link (and maybe a different browser) to manually acquire a new key.
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2019, 12:20:19 PM »
Hello SaratogaWX,

Contact Victoria directly Victoria.Gardner@ibm.com for assistance about acquiring an API key.

Happens...
Your old key will expire and not be automatically migrated .. you'll have to use the link (and maybe a different browser) to manually acquire a new key.

Thanks!
Email sent!

----

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
    • Southern Maryland Weather
« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2019, 09:52:21 AM »
I am using IPTimeLaspe with the new API key from WU.

It doesn't want to verify with my matching ID.

Using IPTimeLapse Ver. 2.8.1005.0

Jim

Online SteveFitz1

• Forecaster
    • Tyler Texas Weather
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2019, 10:10:01 AM »
Jim,

I don't believe IPTL has been updated to support the new WU API.

If you go back to page 2 of this forum item (http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=36260.msg372810#msg372810), you'll see where I discuss how to get the weather data directly from your wx software into IPTL. You take WU completely out of the loop. I'll be happy to help if you have any questions.

Steve

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2019, 10:29:46 AM »
Thanks. I had been using the CWOP option but wanted to use the additional WU data. I will go back to the CWOP option.

My issue now is my station is not reporting to WU. I am using VWS and it asks for a PW... I have no freaking idea what pw that is...

Is it the new API or a password?

Jim

Online SteveFitz1

• Forecaster
    • Tyler Texas Weather
« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2019, 10:58:35 AM »
Jim,

FYI, the option I discussed is not the CWOP option. This option uses a text file that uses as much or as little weather data as you want to feed IPTL.

Steve

Offline wunderground-PWS

• Contributor
« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2019, 01:24:32 PM »
go here
https://www.wunderground.com/member/devices

"upload key" is your password

Thanks. I had been using the CWOP option but wanted to use the additional WU data. I will go back to the CWOP option.

My issue now is my station is not reporting to WU. I am using VWS and it asks for a PW... I have no freaking idea what pw that is...

Is it the new API or a password?

Jim

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
« Reply #60 on: March 29, 2019, 01:53:40 PM »
Gives me wrong password....

Offline jschoonh

• 300+ days of sunshine every year in Turkey
  • life is too short to do nothing
    • actueel weer in Cikcille, Alanya (Dutch)
« Reply #61 on: March 31, 2019, 02:15:09 PM »
an occasional positive message?

I do use the new key for a while + a slightly modified saratoga script in `doPrintWC = false` mode. + my own forecast page. It works great and that is more than the last year or so. The only thing is that I think the UV forecast is not very good (Turkey) so I do use the UV forecast of `Temis`
I am realy happy with the fast response time

https://www.schooot.nl/vooruitzichten.php

Offline AlexMilne

« Reply #62 on: April 02, 2019, 09:02:43 AM »
I've just bought a PWS, which I have connected to WU and weathercloud.
I'd like to use a Saratoga script to allow me to use the WU data and the new API to view my actual weather on my own website.
I'm not interested in seeing it in a browser, as I can see the data in Android ok, and I'm not concerned that I will only have 5 days forecast.
I cannot see an old Saratoga script that I could modify which takes the 'old' API and I could modify it, hopefully, to use the new API.
Also, I cannot see any other script where someone else has already done it, but I could be wrong.
I seem to have bought my PWS at a bad time.  :-(
I started installing the Dark Sky API, but realise, I think, that it only provides forecasts, not my PWS data.
Any pointers to an old script, or someone who has updated an old script would be gratefully received.

Offline wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
    • My PWS at Leuven Belgium Europe
« Reply #63 on: April 02, 2019, 09:24:47 AM »
I'd like to use a Saratoga script to allow me to use the WU data and the new API to view my actual weather on my own website.
I'm not interested in seeing it in a browser, as I can see the data in Android ok, and I'm not concerned that I will only have 5 days forecast.
I cannot see an old Saratoga script that I could modify which takes the 'old' API and I could modify it, hopefully, to use the new API.
Also, I cannot see any other script where someone else has already done it, but I could be wrong.
I started installing the Dark Sky API, but realise, I think, that it only provides forecasts, not my PWS data.
Any pointers to an old script, or someone who has updated an old script would be gratefully received.
The weather34/ template has at least 3 different versions and supports a lot different weather-programs.

I modified the weather34/ template to also use WeatherUnderground as data-source.
It can now also be used with all weather-stations which can (only) upload to WeatherUnderground.

I run it as test at https://www.weerstation-herent.be/pwsWU/index.php , please refresh the page as it says "offline"

It is available for download as beta here: http://wd34.weather-template.com/beta.php
Discussions/questions at https://www.weather-watch.com/smf/index.php/topic,67675.msg544432.html#msg544432

The official April release this week will also include full WU support  http://wd34.weather-template.com/
Discussions/questions for the normal release at https://www.weather-watch.com/smf/index.php/topic,67468.435.html

Wim
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 09:28:25 AM by wvdkuil »

Offline AlexMilne

« Reply #64 on: April 02, 2019, 09:39:22 AM »
Thanks, Wim.
My internet search did not find this.
I'll try it later today.
Thanks very much.

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #65 on: April 04, 2019, 06:27:10 PM »
With the new API from WU/TWC, the forecast one doesn't return 'current conditions', only a forecast (unlike the old API which returned both).  The new WC-forecast.php script handles the forecast, the old WU-forecast.php script has been deprecated as the old API is no longer available.

Offline AlexMilne

« Reply #66 on: April 04, 2019, 07:53:37 PM »
Thanks saratogaWX.
I have now used the beta test made available by Wim as above to show my PWS conditions , forecast etc..
I'm still trying to grapple with the API requests but Wim has pointed out the call for WXdailyhistory which gives the Wunderground data to a better precision for temperature (integer versus 1 decimal degC in my case)than the API call. Once I understand better how the website presentations are assembled in the various templates I'll perhaps try to make better use of the greater precision available. I'm still crawling at present in my understanding, so it will be some time before I can say I'm running with it.

Offline jachen

• Neue Wetterstation Widen
« Reply #67 on: April 05, 2019, 03:27:02 PM »
Jim,

I don't believe IPTL has been updated to support the new WU API.

If you go back to page 2 of this forum item (http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=36260.msg372810#msg372810), you'll see where I discuss how to get the weather data directly from your wx software into IPTL. You take WU completely out of the loop. I'll be happy to help if you have any questions.

Steve

Thanks a lot for this Steve.
With Weather-Display one can generate a textfile using Brian's little Tutorial at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lfhov8wvA0I&feature=youtu.be. The rest is done as per your clean description on page 2.

cheers

Offline Scott216

« Reply #68 on: April 24, 2019, 07:49:55 AM »
I've got my new API key and I'm trying to retrieve the current conditions for my PWS that I upload data too.  But I'm getting this error:

{"metadata":{"transaction_id":"1429140092945:1801695336","status_code":400},"success":false,"errors":[{"code":"EAE:NEP-0001","message":"Not enough parameters for this api"}]}

Here's the URL I'm using (with my API key removed for this post):
Code: [Select]
https://api.weather.com/v2/pws/observations/current?stationid=KVTWESTD3&format=json&units=e&apiKey=mynewkey

Offline wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
    • My PWS at Leuven Belgium Europe
« Reply #69 on: April 24, 2019, 08:03:11 AM »
I've got my new API key and I'm trying to retrieve the current conditions for my PWS that I upload data too.  But I'm getting this error:

{"metadata":{"transaction_id":"1429140092945:1801695336","status_code":400},"success":false,"errors":[{"code":"EAE:NEP-0001","message":"Not enough parameters for this api"}]}

Here's the URL I'm using (with my API key removed for this post):
Code: [Select]
https://api.weather.com/v2/pws/observations/current?stationid=KVTWESTD3&format=json&units=e&apiKey=mynewkey
The parameter   stationid should be  stationId, so with a capital I

Check: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KGb8bTVYRsNgljnNH67AMhckY8AQT2FVwZ9urj8SWBs/edit

Success,  Wim

Offline Scott216

« Reply #70 on: April 24, 2019, 08:29:23 AM »
Thanks, that fixed it.  It would be nice if I could copy and paste from the Google Doc.  I don't know why they set it up to disable that.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #71 on: April 24, 2019, 09:06:35 AM »
I totally agree that is is dumb that they disabled copy and print. Not sure what it protects by doing this other than making it harder to use the information.

Anyway it isn't difficult to defeat this. All you need to do is make a screen capture at a high enough resolution. Then you run the captured image through an OCR (Optical Character Recognition) application and then save the new document to searchable PDF form. I just did that in two seconds. See attached. Now I did it really crudely and I didn't capture at high enough resolution to make the copy/paste work as reliably but this is just a proof of concept. If I wanted to dedicate the time to it then it would be perfect. You can also proof read it and then make edit before final commitment to searchable text. Hey at least you can print my version and it looks good!

Crude OCR attached:
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline WunderTodd (PWS PM)

• Here to listen
    • Weather Underground
« Reply #72 on: April 24, 2019, 03:01:40 PM »
Thanks, that fixed it.  It would be nice if I could copy and paste from the Google Doc.  I don't know why they set it up to disable that.

I can successfully Ctrl+C / Ctrl+V to take info from the google doc to wherever I need... am I missing something?

Offline Scott216

« Reply #73 on: April 24, 2019, 03:27:51 PM »

I can successfully Ctrl+C / Ctrl+V to take info from the google doc to wherever I need... am I missing something?

They just changed the permissions on the file.  I can copy now.  Somebody's listening

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #74 on: April 24, 2019, 04:13:35 PM »

They just changed the permissions on the file.  I can copy now.  Somebody's listening

Probably because this morning I also submitted a request for Editing access. But I added a note to the Edit request that said that I really didn't want Editing access but what I wanted was for them to remove the Copy and Print protection for everyone. I guess someone listened to my request. So kudos to me and to whomever got my request.  :lol:

All I did is click on View only and then Request Edit Access and then typed in a note.
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

I'm glad that they did this too...because I was getting nervous and I almost thought about removing my hacked copy as I thought that maybe I had broken some copyright law. I guess I can sleep now.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 04:19:43 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole