Author Topic: Texas Electronics potentiometer  (Read 4950 times)

Offline TheBushPilot

• Contributor
  • Calibration Technician
Re: Texas Electronics potentiometer
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2017, 01:12:27 PM »
Heh, I'd rather be that guy than the one with no parts. I think I'm going to try to get my hands on one of the mentioned pots previously in this discussion and let you all know how it works out.
"There is — always — more than one thing influencing anything we are trying to measure." ~ Sherman Fredrickson
"Do it right or don't do it at all."

Met Instruments Project
Central Chasers

Offline TheBushPilot

• Contributor
  • Calibration Technician
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2022, 12:23:51 PM »
Alright so update:

I never found a suitable replacement for the stock TE setup I had with the vintage signal conditioning boards. I suppose 700 ohms is too obscure for anything and thus no manufacturer bothered making them past that point.

If I end up reviving the instrumentation I will probably retrofit them with updated inner components from TE so they will be able to be configured with data loggers. A shame there isn't an easy alternative.

Cheers,

Quinton
"There is — always — more than one thing influencing anything we are trying to measure." ~ Sherman Fredrickson

Met Instruments Project
Central Chasers

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2022, 10:35:42 PM »
That project is still sitting on the corner of my bench in the workshop. 
I too wish I could bring that system back to working status, but the cost of a true replacement from the company is just too steep right now.

Keep me posted as to  your efforts, especially if you can come up with a workable fix.  Thanks again.  Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline davidefa

• Forecaster
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2022, 05:26:28 AM »
Did you try "continuous rotation" potentiometer ( this for example https://etisystems.com/product/sp22g-conductive-plasticprecision-single-turn-potentiometer/ electric angle is only 340°, so you should have a 20° 'dead zone', life 10 million turns, mouser has several of these, I have never used )?
Another option is to restore the broken one, in the photo you posted it seems in a good shape, but I can't understand how it works, if you have two of these you could try opening the second one, documenting the opening phase

Offline Clarkey

• My Weather Page
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2022, 01:29:00 PM »
Hi Guys,

Has anyone looked at the pot on a Young 05103, it is also 10k and looks something similar albeit at a hefty price ($180 approx)

Young Part #05134 POTENTIOMETER 10K, 1/4% LIN, CONDUCTIVE PLASTIC

Clarkey
« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 01:33:47 PM by Clarkey »
Campbell Scientific CR1000 & Loggernet, Young 05103 Wind Dir/Speed, Met One 092 Baro Vaisala HMP110 Temp/Humidity, OMC 212 Heated Bucket Rain Gauge, LiCor LI-200R Pyranometer

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2022, 02:01:29 PM »
Clarkey,
I know that the Young potentiometer is a 5 degree dead zone, and I have several in a box out in the shed (-3 right now) which I got new with a bunch of other Young stuff on eBay a few years ago.

I have the little Texas Electronics weather vane potentiometer on a shelf in a little box so it will be 'easy' enough to compare size and get an idea about fit.

I cannot recall how the pots were afixed to the base, if it was just tight nuts on a bracket, or if there were screws, which would present a mounting challenge, but nothing that a small dab of  hot glue or the super flexible silicone seal would suffice.  It isn't going to the LaGrange point after initial launch.  (Which, by the way, I was amazed at the initial jolt that the Ariane booster took when the solids lit and it jumped off the pad).
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline TheBushPilot

• Contributor
  • Calibration Technician
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2022, 08:52:24 PM »
Hi Guys,

Has anyone looked at the pot on a Young 05103, it is also 10k and looks something similar albeit at a hefty price ($180 approx)

Young Part #05134 POTENTIOMETER 10K, 1/4% LIN, CONDUCTIVE PLASTIC

Clarkey

Texas Electronics is not much better as their replacement 10K pot is $185.70. Not sure what else would be needed to make it work with other loggers or displays but they also sell a 4-20 mA signal conditioner. I'll probably eventually look into everything required for my purposes and share my findings here in due time.

Clarkey,
I know that the Young potentiometer is a 5 degree dead zone, and I have several in a box out in the shed (-3 right now) which I got new with a bunch of other Young stuff on eBay a few years ago.

I have the little Texas Electronics weather vane potentiometer on a shelf in a little box so it will be 'easy' enough to compare size and get an idea about fit.

I cannot recall how the pots were afixed to the base, if it was just tight nuts on a bracket, or if there were screws, which would present a mounting challenge, but nothing that a small dab of  hot glue or the super flexible silicone seal would suffice.  It isn't going to the LaGrange point after initial launch.  (Which, by the way, I was amazed at the initial jolt that the Ariane booster took when the solids lit and it jumped off the pad).

The potentiometer is panel mounted. I'm sure if worse came to worse you could drill out the mounting hole on the plate within the sensor housing and squeeze it in there. Only problem is figuring out how to couple the pot and vane shaft together. At least with the one I have, there is a coupling that goes onto the pot shaft and allows the bar on the vane shaft to recess within so its not physically attached but "pushed around." I'll attach a drawing of what I mean below because explaining that mechanical situation is not easy.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

There's a set screw in the coupling thing too but I believe it is on the opposite side of the cut in.

Again, if you were to put a new pot in there, either a size change or complete redesign of the coupling apparatus would be needed.

Edit: Clarky, the R. M. Young potentiometer might work but you'd have to fenagle a mounting situation because the casing is not panel fixed. I'm not sure what the dimensions of the brass coupling are but depending on shaft thickness it may fit or only require minor resizing. Like Dale said something along the lines of glue would probably suffice because I'd doubt there are major vibrations in that thing if any at all.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2023, 02:36:36 PM by TheBushPilot »

Met Instruments Project
Central Chasers

Offline TheBushPilot

• Contributor
  • Calibration Technician
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2022, 12:56:48 AM »
After giving it some thought I figured I'd give my 2 cents, and put the chronicles of missing arbitrary 700 ohm TE potentiometer to rest.

Unrelated but relevant I'll unfortunately most likely put the retro displays into storage until I figure out a way to work out a digital to analog converter. Maybe an Arduino middle man or something? That'll be TBD. Perhaps a serial to analog converter as I don't believe the CSI data loggers can output analog. Where what one could do is have the data logger record the readings from the wind set and save to final storage and output data to the internal displays simultaneously. (Will look more into that however.) As far as the instrumentation itself, the anemometer will be pretty straight forward. Going to replace the old AC generator in it with a new one and call it a day. For the wind vane, I am going to assume the dimensions are the same if not very similar for each potentiometer. Since the pot TE sells is panel mountable, I anticipate little modification needed with the actual instrument internally. I'd like to believe the adaptation will be as simple as a 3D printed collar that press fits onto the shaft with a correctly sized slit for accommodating the extension from the bolt above.

At this point I'm not so concerned with price as I just want it to work. Next time I post in this thread will be with the set refurbished and fully functional. I will also post the plans for whatever collar adapter I end up coming up with if anyone else wants to go the route I did. 'Till next time.

Cheers

Met Instruments Project
Central Chasers

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2022, 03:28:57 PM »
We await  your next posting with unbridled enthusiasm.  Invent and innovate away.  Dale
PS, I do like the sharing that goes on and collective experience.
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

anything