Author Topic: Heavy Weather chewing up valuable resources  (Read 7863 times)

Offline jpp

Heavy Weather chewing up valuable resources
« on: January 25, 2009, 10:29:28 PM »
I've been playing around with my La Cross WS-2355 station's software.

In particular, the Heavy Weather Vs 2.0 Beta, as I want to use it with Weather Underground.

But, try as I may, even running the program at a Low priority (via setting it in the Task manager to Low, or using a batch file to do the same), it never chews less that around 18% of my CPU. My system is a 2.4GH Pentium with 4GB RAM and oodles of HDU space at 320GB, used space less than 100GB. I want to have it running all the time, but 20% of my available grunt is a bit too much  :-(.

I've also been playing around with other logging programs that support the La Crosse Ws's, such as Weather View 32, Virtual Weather and Weather Display (which supports Weather Underground directly), and at least these don't use 1% or less of CPU time.

However, I am having screen scaling issues with the Weather Display program. Have raised these here:

http://www.weather-watch.com/smf/index.php/topic,37435.0.html

Has anyone any other suggestions wrt current Weather Programs - a lot of the info on the web seems well dated.

TIA for any help on this.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 11:50:49 PM by jpp »
Phil

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
Re: Heavy Weather chewing up valuable resources
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 03:27:41 AM »
a good, no frills, software is WUHU:  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wuhu_software_group/

It's free and uses very little resources and has it's own support forum and the software author is very active there.

It's what I use and I'm very happy with it.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline jpp

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 04:21:56 AM »
a good, no frills, software is WUHU:  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wuhu_software_group/

It's free and uses very little resources and has it's own support forum and the software author is very active there.

It's what I use and I'm very happy with it.
Thanks for that. I had a good look at that site (and the Yahoo Forum site) and downloaded and ran the WUHU SW. You're absolutely right - it runs on less than 1% of CPU resources. The program itself looks OK and seemed to run OK as well with the La Crosse Heavy weather logging program. But, I still need to use a logging program other than La Crosse's CPU hogging Heavy Weather program.

The other supported logging programs under WUHU are Weather View 32 and Virtual Weather Station according to the readme.txt I downloaded from the WUHU site. Both of these are not free, but I don't mind spending some money.

The third program I am now playing with is Weather Display http://www.weather-display.com/index.php and it is looking better now that I have played around with it some more. It seems to be holding window and text size settings which were giving me problems before. It is certainly far more featured than any of the others and has built in Internet support for quite a few Weather Websites and also supports almost any weather station brand and model. It costs US$74 for a lifetime license.

More testing and evaluation....just want to be sure that I'm not overlooking some well known and well established software.

What logging program (and make) are you using with your station btw?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 06:33:15 AM by jpp »
Phil

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 09:31:15 AM »
I don't do the logging thing.  I just use the software to grab the data from the weather station and throw it out on the internet to CWOP and Weather Underground.

Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline jpp

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 07:16:15 PM »
I don't do the logging thing.  I just use the software to grab the data from the weather station and throw it out on the internet to CWOP and Weather Underground.

Thanks Greg. Looks like I need a closer look at WUHU. I understood that it required your weather station software to collect the data and put it into a file. Then the WUHU program would grab that file, read the data in it and then send it out to CWOP and Weather Underground web sites.
Phil

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
    • WUHU Software Yahoo Group
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 06:23:03 AM »

Thanks Greg. Looks like I need a closer look at WUHU. I understood that it required your weather station software to collect the data and put it into a file. Then the WUHU program would grab that file, read the data in it and then send it out to CWOP and Weather Underground web sites.

jpp,

You can output a history file that is compatible with Heavyweather Pro, it is a free download. That program has better graphing capability than the old HW Review, so I decided to use that format. The file format also contains abs pressure, gust, and another field or two that the old format does not.

You can also use a template and output your data in to a CSV (comma separated values) file that you can then pull in to Excel or another application. If you write software, you can interface to WUHU and output whatever format you want.

If you have questions about the formats, post in the Yahoo group. Thanks.

Offline jpp

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 06:46:55 AM »
Thanks for the info. It would appear that the readme file that comes with the download of the program is a bit out of date. Discovered the direct reading option without the need to run Heavy Weather. Will have a go at Heavy Weather Pro.
Phil

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 05:14:00 PM »
Thanks for the info. It would appear that the readme file that comes with the download of the program is a bit out of date. Discovered the direct reading option without the need to run Heavy Weather. Will have a go at Heavy Weather Pro.

Yeah, the readme.txt is way out of date.

Give this a try:

http://www.lissproductions.com/wuhumanual/

Offline jpp

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 05:30:23 PM »

Give this a try:

I have tried to get that manual going (redownloaded it) several times now over the past week, but I keep on getting the same error message. Once downloaded and extracted, when you run it, it comes up with the error message "Navigation to the web page was cancelled. You can try: Retype the address". It's as if the .chm file is wanting acess to an non-existent live web page.

I am now browsing it "live" and that works just fine of course. Just that I wanted to read it in paper form whilst away from a computer.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 05:37:28 PM by jpp »
Phil

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009, 06:40:45 PM »

Give this a try:

I have tried to get that manual going (redownloaded it) several times now over the past week, but I keep on getting the same error message. Once downloaded and extracted, when you run it, it comes up with the error message "Navigation to the web page was cancelled. You can try: Retype the address". It's as if the .chm file is wanting acess to an non-existent live web page.

I am now browsing it "live" and that works just fine of course. Just that I wanted to read it in paper form whilst away from a computer.

One of our users created the manual. I am not sure why there is an issue with downloading it. I probably should include it with the distribution. Thanks.