Author Topic: Accu-rite lightning detector  (Read 4717 times)

Offline gfmucci

• Senior Contributor
Accu-rite lightning detector
« on: January 22, 2016, 02:27:01 PM »
Has anyone had any success with this unit?  I've had one for 22 days and am in the process of returning it back to Amazon for my $25 refund.  It got good reviews there, but mine gave me false positives inside the house and no positives outside when I heard thunder.  It is supposed to go off before we hear thunder.

I'm wondering if I got a dud or is this performance or lack thereof to be expected from this unit.

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
Re: Accu-rite lightning detector
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 02:37:11 PM »
Do not have the Accurite, but I do have a Strike Alert Personal Lightning Detector that has worked well over the years. I believe we bought it off of Amazon.
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 04:23:52 PM »
Did you try costumer support?
KMIBADAX38
AcuRite Iris/AcuRite Access

Offline gfmucci

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 04:33:20 PM »
My experience with Accu-rite customer support so far in this:

At 11:00 this morning I called their number at 877-221-1252.  I was on hold for 15 to 20 minutes and finally opted to have them call me back at 3pm Central Time which is 4pm Eastern where I am located.    It is 4:33 pm as I write this and I have not yet received the promised call.

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 04:43:02 PM »
Yes CS can be a joke. the time I tried I got right through.  ;)
KMIBADAX38

Offline gfmucci

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 05:46:02 PM »
They called back at 5pm.  There might have been some time zone brain f--ts.

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2016, 06:06:32 PM »
they're usually pretty good if the item is defective and under warranty they'll get a new one to you ASAP
KMIBADAX38

Offline gfmucci

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2016, 06:17:13 PM »
A $25 lighting detector that didn't work for me.  Probabaly requires another $50 to $100 to meet expectations.

I just dicovered an excellent lightning website:  http://www.blitzortung.org/en/page_1/index.php?map=32  Provides real time data with sound and a dynamic world map.  Most of you probably already know this site, but it is a new discovery for me.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 08:32:47 PM by gfmucci »

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2016, 08:25:06 AM »
I have one and it seems to detect lightning just fine. The Acu-Rite uses the AMS Franklin chip. I have a board with this same IC interfaced to my Blitzortung RED controller and it also detects strikes quite well.

Are you using it indoors? Did you set it to "Indoor" mode?

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline gfmucci

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2016, 11:30:03 AM »
Yes, I did have it set for indoors.  Then I tried another brand:  StrikeAlert HD Personal Lightning Detector Pager.  It worked better for me.  But at $175 and discovering Blitzortung, I decided I had better uses for my money.

Offline k3hqi

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2016, 01:36:37 PM »
I have the Accu-rite detecor, bought it in December.  We have (no kidding) had only one thunderstorm since the purchase and it alerted well and tracked pretty well the center of the storm.  I want to work with it more before i really trust it but this initial look is good.  I am the communications captain with a Search and Rescue group, (Middle Creek SAR, Ephrata PA - www.midsar.org)  Comms watches externals like the weather.  Contrary to what the "can you hear me now" commercial conveys central PA is loaded with cell black holes and it seems that people often get lost in them.   We frequently find ourselves in territory that has no Cell coverage.  People keep telling me, use the cell phone app.  If I trust the cell phone I will be putting people at risk in the field.  When we can receive it we monitor the NWS but there are some radar holes too. A detector with 90% effectiveness is much better than a 100% service that I can't access.  Please understand, this is not to be crass, Weather is not a hobby for me, it is dead serious.

Offline gfmucci

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2016, 01:40:40 PM »
Good comment.  Acquire the tools essential for your specific mission, threats, limitations and opportunities.

Offline Philstormpod

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2016, 12:13:20 AM »
Thanks for the Blitzortung website!
From your posts it sounds like this site can warn you on your phone of local lightning strikes? I can't seem to find that option on their website. Or is it strictly visual?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 12:25:13 AM by Philstormpod »

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2016, 07:40:49 AM »
Thanks for the Blitzortung website!
From your posts it sounds like this site can warn you on your phone of local lightning strikes? I can't seem to find that option on their website. Or is it strictly visual?

I get local strikes via Twitter and email alerts. You need to be a participant (with a contributing detector) in order to receive them though.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline Philstormpod

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2016, 08:14:15 AM »
I understand. Thank you!