Author Topic: Web Hosting- who I use  (Read 4193 times)

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
Web Hosting- who I use
« on: November 29, 2014, 12:55:22 PM »
I get no benefit from this.  I have noticed several people having trouble with their web host site.   I go with Hostmonster http://www.hostmonster.com/?lo=1

I have never had trouble with bandwidth, access, size, blacklist or much of anything. I think in the four years I have been on their servers, two outages and I did call them, they told me what was happening and when it would be back online plus , they checked my site to make sure things were fine.

Again, something to consider, the price is related to the quality. I also have my domain registered through them.

Offline MesquiteWx

• Forecaster
    • Mesquite Weather
Re: Web Hosting- who I use
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 02:39:56 PM »
Host Monster is the same company as Bluehost that I am currently have issues with. They have 2-3 more other host names as well.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 03:07:37 PM »
Host Monster is the same company as Bluehost that I am currently have issues with. They have 2-3 more other host names as well.
Then I must live one wholesome life, finally my ship has come into port.  The pot of gold resides in my CPU,  I am one of the chosen.
The clean life is what  I must live, because I have had no problems with this division.   I definitely do not have e-rice.

If and when the company shits on my parade, I will stop all and just do the weather thing for tickles and grins.

I am truly blessed.

Offline Dr Obbins

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2014, 03:09:16 PM »
FYI - there is a thread about where the erice refugees went on the Weather Watch forum.

Offline McLouthWX

• Jefferson County Weather Live
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2014, 03:35:54 PM »
Been hosted with Hostgator for about 7 months, before that I was with Siteground until they became too expensive for my tastes. Have had absolutely no issues with Hostgator at all so far. - Ken
If you aren't confused, then you weren't paying attention.

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 10:42:32 AM »
I have been on Fastwebhost (formerly eHostpros) since 2004. Yeah, it costs a bit more but I also get more. What surprises me is that some go sign up for these $1 a month hosts (or something like that) that have no real longevity in the business and then complain about throttling or lack of ftp's or sketchy service. Ya get what you pay for. What really surprised me is that when e-Rice came back up for a moment...someone on one of the other boards paid them for an additional 2 years!!!

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 11:36:44 AM »
Unfortunately its very hard to find any honest web host review from web comparison sites. Some actually put out bids for advertising and rank accordingly with a top 5 or 10 ranking, others are paid through linking with hits from website. Forums and real word of mouth like this will be the best way to compare and find a good host.
Randy

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 08:34:04 PM »
I had used a site when I was with Mediacom as one of those vanity sites, but with Century Link  I don't appear to have one.  I have this habit of scouring for a while the things I intend on buying,then looking for sites that have low values on ratings as well.

Recently I had Avast Internet Security Suite and it was about to expire, I spent most of a week comparing it with everything else before deciding to settle on Bitdefender internet security suite.  I spent more time than I should.

Yes, Hostmonster is pricey, but so far they have been good to me when I have a question. Their site does appear to be more commercial and it works for me, right now.

Offline MesquiteWx

• Forecaster
    • Mesquite Weather
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2014, 10:00:39 PM »
Wait till your site gets a little more in depth and your parsing a lot of data and having to FTP a lot of data. You will then have issues. Also their techs are only good to answer simple questions. Their support scope is very narrow. I never had problems for years until my site starting getting more advanced. One the questions got more complicated the least they had answers. Like mentioned before. Hostmonters is the same company as Bluehost and you'll have issues in time.

Offline K4KMG

• Contributor
    • K4KMG.com
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2014, 10:09:09 AM »
Been hosted with Hostgator for about 7 months, before that I was with Siteground until they became too expensive for my tastes. Have had absolutely no issues with Hostgator at all so far. - Ken

Hostgator 10+ years. Never a problem with all 6 sites.
Living 'Off Grid" in Central Florida. Pics at k4kmg.com

Offline flyingvranch

• Contributor
    • KI5OMM Weather Station
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2014, 02:52:38 PM »
Awardspace.com based in Germany I think. They have a free option but I use the pay option. I have several e-commerce websites and I've been with them for years and have NEVER had an issue. Top notch in my opinion.

Offline yamiacaveman

• Forecaster
    • Penn Lake Weather
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2014, 03:11:42 PM »
Hi,

After Erice I went with http://www.webhostinghub.com/  I use there Nitro Plan. I Think it was like 140 us dollars and I took an option for 30 some bucks for backups.
Anyway I have several Addon domains with them (3 other sites on the same account) No problems yet.

Make sure you do the chat thing for sales -- they will send you to a link with a discounted price.

I see in my billing that after the 3 year period it jumps to 300 bucks -- but if I don't get a deal at renewal I'll jump to, lol.
I do have a couple of other web sites with Acenet inc., Probably for over 10 years -they sold out and prices skyrocketed - Switched someto this new place as Addon domain but I still maintain the cheap priced sites.

Again - so far no problems with http://www.webhostinghub.com/

yamiacaveman

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2014, 07:50:30 PM »
For a less expensive alternative, I use Wordpress to make my website. I currently do not have an ftp, but I can upgrade to that later if I want. For now, I just pay around $30/year and that includes my domain. I am quite pleased with it  :-)
Joe Fitzwater
Chief Meteorologist for WVNS-TV 59 in Beckley, WV

Work Page on Facebook -> www.facebook.com/meteojoe
Work Page on Twitter -> https://twitter.com/meteojoe
Waterfalls -> www.wvfalls.com

Offline yamiacaveman

• Forecaster
    • Penn Lake Weather
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2014, 08:30:59 PM »
Hi Farmtalk,

Your site works for me!!!! I'll have to take another look at WordPress one of these days.

I reread my post -- that $140.00 was for the first three years. No to bad, lol.

yamiacaveman

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2014, 08:36:33 PM »
I get no benefit from this.  I have noticed several people having trouble with their web host site.   I go with Hostmonster http://www.hostmonster.com/?lo=1

I have never had trouble with bandwidth, access, size, blacklist or much of anything. I think in the four years I have been on their servers, two outages and I did call them, they told me what was happening and when it would be back online plus , they checked my site to make sure things were fine.

Again, something to consider, the price is related to the quality. I also have my domain registered through them.

Thanks! Wordpress DOES give you the option to provide ftp, you just have to pay a higher price than what I do. I've been using them since August with no issues at all, and they have been quite nice!

I used ixwebhosting for about 3 years, and every year I used them, they jumped the price on me. It started out as $60, with domain included. This past year they tried to get $104, and I wouldn't do it.  8-)
Joe Fitzwater

Offline yamiacaveman

• Forecaster
    • Penn Lake Weather
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2014, 10:15:09 AM »
Yep,

I think in 3 years my rate is suppose to jump up to $300.00 and if/when they don't want to renegotiate their price can jump and so will I.  For a while (years ago) I turned an old computer into a Red Hat (Linux server) an ran that for a little over a year --Fun trying to figure everything out but keeping up with the updates and maintenance was a little crazy --  Easier to pay someone, lol.

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2014, 10:47:08 AM »
Yep,

I think in 3 years my rate is suppose to jump up to $300.00 and if/when they don't want to renegotiate their price can jump and so will I.  For a while (years ago) I turned an old computer into a Red Hat (Linux server) an ran that for a little over a year --Fun trying to figure everything out but keeping up with the updates and maintenance was a little crazy --  Easier to pay someone, lol.

$300!? WOW! I hate it because I really like ixwebhosting, and they ARE a good company, but it's like satellite television - they hook you in on a good deal, and then if you're not careful, they jack the price up on you!  ](*,)
Joe Fitzwater

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2015, 04:11:25 PM »
I went with KVC Hosting.  They had a reasonable 3 year rate of $107.64, and their office is only an hour's drive away.  There were some problems on some of the site pages with the transition, but their tech responded quick to my requests for several needed changes on their side.  KVC having SSD was one of their attractions.   Currently, they are excited about an upgrade to their system to be added soon as follows from their email:

Event Date(s): Friday, January 16th, 2015 from 9.30pm until Saturday, January 17th, 2015 02:00 am CDT (GMT-5)
Event Location: OK-R1-R8
Impact: Up to 15-20 Mins Downtime

Event:
We are excited to announce that we are in the process of doing a major power upgrade to accommodate our growth. With this power upgrade, we decided to buy some of the latest and greatest Equipment, you can look forward to a brand new GE Spectra Bolt-On AV5 switchgear equipped with an EPM 2200 Power Meter and a designated Power Break II. Along with, a brand new Eaton Power Xpert 9395 UPS that has LCD inputs and outputs. (http://bit.ly/16aHuMU).

Additionally, a third generator will be installed to increase the total non-utility power capacity. We are also upgrading the power cabling under the raised floor using red and blue PDU cables (http://bit.ly/1yDWPft).

GE Spectra Bolt-On AV5 and Eaton

Power Xpert 9395

This power upgrade is going to make our Expansion capabilities almost endless, and this gives us the opportunity to continue to grow and provide much better redundancy

As you might expect, we will eventually have to move your equipment over to the “new power.” When we do this, you could experience a small power outage. We will do our very best to make this as painless as possible.

1st Maintenance Window – January 16, 2015 to January 17, 2015

2nd Maintenance Window – January 30, 2015 to January 31, 2015

Shall you have any questions regarding this maintenance, please do not hesitate to contact us

Thank You,
KVCHOSTING Network Operations
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 04:14:21 PM by Bunty »

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline Skyview

• Forecaster
  • Former Aviation Weather Observer
    • Fuquay Varina Weather
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2015, 04:39:17 PM »
For user feedback you can go here for the good, the bad, and the ugly lol!: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/

I've been hosting websites for many years and have used a fair number of hosting companies. Going on almost 9 years ago I went with these guys and have never looked back. Excellent service, performance, and support.

https://www.knownhost.com/