Author Topic: VVP 1.1.1 Beta won't run as hidden service  (Read 4225 times)

Offline Gretnawx

• Gretna Weather Page
VVP 1.1.1 Beta won't run as hidden service
« on: September 26, 2006, 09:15:14 AM »
For months I've been running VVP 1.0 as a hidden service using the Windows service manager called FireDaemon.   This has worked like a charm as it allows VVP and all the apps I have receiving data from it (WeatherLink, VPLive, Weather Display) to run as hidden applications while reliably uploading web pages, APRS, and Wx Underground RapidFire data.  FireDaemon also will autorestart any of the apps that lock-up or stop running for whatever reason even if no users are logged on to the PC.

Unfortunately I can't get VVP 1.1.1 Beta to run as a hidden service even after trying every possible permutation of FireDaemon settings. It just immediately errors off after startup.  VVP 1.1.1 does run as an interactive service but that's not what I'm after.  Am assuming this has something to do with the redesigned GUI causing VVP and/or FireDaemon to get confused by the need for it to display status data to the screen.  Just wanted to mention this as an issue.  I may be the only one in this category, but I really like running my weather apps as hidden services so will stick with VVP 1.0.  Love the new VVP GUI and added connection options but for now VVP 1.0 meets all my needs.
There are 10 types of people in the world - Those that know binary and those that don't

Offline tinplate

• Forecaster
    • http://www.softwx.com/products.html
VVP 1.1.1 Beta won't run as hidden service
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 08:48:13 PM »
With this version, I also upgraded to a more recent version of the compiler I use. The problem you're having may be related to that. If you email me at support at softwx.com, and reference this thread, I will send you an url for a version that might behave differently with FireDaemon.

With version 2.0 of VirtualVP, you will have the option of running it natively as a windows service.

Steve