Author Topic: WS-2310-TWC / Heavy Weather not comunicating  (Read 7664 times)

Offline jbandtbone1

WS-2310-TWC / Heavy Weather not comunicating
« on: July 07, 2008, 08:08:13 PM »
I’m been unable to figure this problem out since it began on 7/2/08. I have a La Crosse WS-2310-TWC weather station. I’ve got it hooked up to my pc using the heavy weather software 2.10 that came with the station. Last Wednesday after a T-storm I got home and usually I have to go through a process of tricking my com port to communicate with this software. Well needless to say it won’t do it any more or I should say it won’t communicate all the way. The history shows up, but the real time data doesn’t any more. I’ve tried everything that got it to work in the first place and has worked fine, except for the tricking part, since I got it for Christmas 07. Now I should also say that I use the heavy weather software so my station will communicate with the software Weather Display, which is what I have up and running all the time. Now I read through a lot of the other posts and tried the deleting of com 1and rebooting, but that didn’t work, and the mouse port thing didn’t either. So I’m at a loss for stuff to do and could use so more input please

Offline NGRRFan

Re: WS-2310-TWC / Heavy Weather not comunicating
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 12:03:13 AM »
HW gets its history from the history.dat file, not from the console. So the loading of history is really "meaningless" UNLESS... when you look at the file it has the latest info from the console in it.

More than likely your com port is shot. You need to connect a loopback connector to the computer com port and see if it passes diagnostics. A quick search of Google should give you the info you need.

Offline jbandtbone1

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 09:17:18 PM »
Thanks I let you know what I come up with. Might take awhile working to much.

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
    • WUHU Software Yahoo Group
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 06:42:29 AM »

An easy test you can do is to hook the console to a different computer with a known good serial port.

You can just take the console with you and the Heavyweather software. It will communicate even if the remote thermo is not connected.

Offline jbandtbone1

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 08:25:26 PM »
Well I want to thank you both, wuhu_software and NGRRFan. I took both of your advice and found out my base station is working properly and both com ports 1 & 3 are not working. 1 gets nothing back and 3 received about half of the info back. Now I just need to search for how to fix or install new com ports. thanks again.

Offline NGRRFan

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 09:58:33 PM »
Hey, "Remember..... we're all in this together." - Red Green   :lol:

If you are running Win XP, try deleting the ports and then adding them back in again. Can't hurt except to waste a bit of time, and it just might fix the problem.

Otherwise... go to Newegg and buy a serial com port card. Then disable Coms in the BIOS of the computer.