Author Topic: First case of forum censorship?  (Read 9672 times)

Offline ncpilot

• Forecaster
    • Monkey Junction Weather
First case of forum censorship?
« on: June 04, 2008, 03:50:49 PM »
Apparently the discussion under "Chit-Chat" of sending someone on a one way mission to Mars, was deemed to have broken the forum rules and regulations, since Chit-Chat is for:

"Discuss topics that don't fit anywhere else. Almost anything goes, within the parameters of the forum's rules and regulations."

And since I can't find the Rules and Regulations posted anywhere on the site, I personally would be interested in knowing the rationale of not just locking the thread, but of actually deleting all the posts.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't some of the criticism of other weather forums been the censorship without explanation?

Sure looks like what we have here...

In every other forum I've been in (outside of weather stuff), there is at least a warning to posters that the thread is getting off-target, or getting close to violating rules, or it gets locked. But posts being completely deleted? Not unless there was libelous or inflammatory language, or 4-letter words. I hardly think we hit that level in the thread in question.

Could the moderators put their heads together and let us all know what happened?

Thanks...
Marc
Wilmington, NC
"Monkey Junction Weather"
Davis VP2 wireless, WeatherLink

Offline ncpilot

• Forecaster
Re: First case of forum censorship?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 04:26:00 PM »
Let me add that this was also a story in the major media--so it's not like it was some esoteric topic... or a topic considered taboo by the media (as if anything is?).
Marc
Wilmington, NC

Offline NoQuitters

• Forecaster
  • W0DLJ - 145.470
    • Overland Park Weather
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 04:30:52 PM »
within the parameters of the forum's rules and regulations
Just for the record:

You agree, through your use of this forum, that you will not post any material which is false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, adult material, or otherwise in violation of any International or United States Federal law. You also agree not to post any copyrighted material unless you own the copyright or you have written consent from the owner of the copyrighted material. Spam, flooding, advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and solicitations are also forbidden on this forum.

Note that it is impossible for the staff or the owners of this forum to confirm the validity of posts. Please remember that we do not actively monitor the posted messages, and as such, are not responsible for the content contained within. We do not warrant the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information presented. The posted messages express the views of the author, and not necessarily the views of this forum, its staff, its subsidiaries, or this forum's owner. Anyone who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to notify an administrator or moderator of this forum immediately. The staff and the owner of this forum reserve the right to remove objectionable content, within a reasonable time frame, if they determine that removal is necessary. This is a manual process, however, please realize that they may not be able to remove or edit particular messages immediately. This policy applies to member profile information as well.

You remain solely responsible for the content of your posted messages. Furthermore, you agree to indemnify and hold harmless the owners of this forum, any related websites to this forum, its staff, and its subsidiaries. The owners of this forum also reserve the right to reveal your identity (or any other related information collected on this service) in the event of a formal complaint or legal action arising from any situation caused by your use of this forum.

You have the ability, as you register, to choose your username. We advise that you keep the name appropriate. With this user account you are about to register, you agree to never give your password out to another person except an administrator, for your protection and for validity reasons. You also agree to NEVER use another person's account for any reason.  We also HIGHLY recommend you use a complex and unique password for your account, to prevent account theft.

After you register and login to this forum, you will be able to fill out a detailed profile. It is your responsibility to present clean and accurate information. Any information the forum owner or staff determines to be inaccurate or vulgar in nature will be removed, with or without prior notice. Appropriate sanctions may be applicable.

Please note that with each post, your IP address is recorded, in the event that you need to be banned from this forum or your ISP contacted. This will only happen in the event of a major violation of this agreement.

Also note that the software places a cookie, a text file containing bits of information (such as your username and password), in your browser's cache. This is ONLY used to keep you logged in/out. The software does not collect or send any other form of information to your computer.

So far none of us knows what happened but all the voices haven't been heard from.
It is possible that the original poster deleted their own posts.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 04:34:04 PM by NoQuitters »

Offline ncpilot

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 04:51:33 PM »
Thanks for posting that... it would be nice if that was a sticky, or had a permanent link somewhere on the home page: "Forum Rules and Regulations", otherwise there's no way that I can see for us to find them again unless we register a second time.

There were posts by at least 4-5 people I think, so it's not just the original poster that might have deleted their own threads. I know I didn't delete mine...
Marc
Wilmington, NC

Offline WeatherBeacon

• Chief
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.wxbeacon.com
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 05:12:21 PM »
There were posts by at least 4-5 people I think, so it's not just the original poster that might have deleted their own threads. I know I didn't delete mine...

I was one of the key posters in that discussion, but I didn't delete any of my posts. The last post I read in that thread would have been posted ... yesterday or the night before, I believe.

Regards,

Kevin...
Mae govannen!
Kevin  (Member AMS) http://www.wxbeacon.com               Genesee County, Michigan
Hardware:  Davis Vantage Pro Wireless, Midland WR-300
Software: VWS 14.01p43, WeatherFlash, & GRLevel3

Offline tinplate

• Forecaster
    • http://www.softwx.com/products.html
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 07:39:32 PM »
The entire thread about low cost pcs was deleted as well. It kind of looks like a software glitch lost a chunk of recent posts.

Offline capeweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.capeweather.com
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 07:56:30 PM »
Posts were deleted because I had to do a restore last night from a backup that was three days old. I had a technical issue that needed to be resolved. They were not purposely removed. I meant to announce it on the forum last night but it was 2am and totally forgot. So in all fairness to everybody it may have been my fault why this started.  #-o

Chris
Cape Coral, Florida

Offline ncpilot

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 08:18:40 PM »
Well, that sure was a strange response then from SLOweather (in the Chit-Chat forum). I'm not the only one that interpreted his response as meaning he deleted the posts in that thread... being a moderator and all...

Glad it's much ado about nothing...
Marc
Wilmington, NC

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 08:23:51 PM »
I'm not a mod or admin here. Just pointing out that the subject was not enticing to everyone.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008, 11:09:56 PM »
Sometimes I feel like I'm missing out being at work and not able to get on the forums during the day.    :mrgreen:

FWIW I never delete a post unless I somehow manage a duplicate in the same thread.  It takes me too long to create and edit something into a reasonably legible presentation in the first place.   O:)   ;)
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline Sigdigit

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2008, 09:11:17 AM »
Alright, enough chit chat!  Get back to work on those low cost weather PCs!!! :-P

Offline Blairsville Weather- Caleb

• Blairsville Weather
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2008, 02:04:19 AM »
it isnt so much of a "low cost" hobbie  well sometimes it is
[

anything