Author Topic: "Storm Chaser Arrested"  (Read 3752 times)

Offline anchorageweather

• Forecaster
    • http://eetee.us/station/station.php
"Storm Chaser Arrested"
« on: May 08, 2008, 02:58:48 PM »
South of the Tracks, Anchorage, KY

jwyman

Re: "Storm Chaser Arrested"
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 06:30:24 PM »
I hope THAT deputy doesn't have a 'nado land on him caase some spotter he arrested didn't have the chance to warn the community of an impending danger..... What a knucklehead (sheriff that is)  ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

Jim

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 08:43:05 PM »
Unfortunately like in all occupations he's (sheriff deputy) the "Barney Fife" type that tarnishes the reputation of the majority of good people in the same line of work.   :roll:
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 04:39:08 AM »
"I told him that I was helping out the National Weather Service in San Angelo, and they were relaying my reports to Midland.  He told me he didn't care, and that I needed to go."

Unless that spotter/chaser can show valid ID that he is officially attached to the National Weather Service, the state's Office of Emergency Management or a local emergency response agency he would have no legal reason for refusing a deputy's orders to leave and he would be subject to arrest like any other violator.

jwyman

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 09:36:06 AM »
WeatherHost,
 You bring up a very good point. However, how many storm chasers are truly employed by the NWS or the local EMO? Many storm chasers have academic affliations (i.e. university/earth science) or SkyWarn affiliations? And again, what violation was he arrested for? Other observers stated he was not blocking any roads nor interfering with any emegency response units so that brings up the validity of the arrest charges.

Just MHO,

Jim

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 08:37:47 AM »
And if he had not been out there would the NWS have know about the tornado? If there had been a crazy loon there with a gun. There wouldn't have been a officer within miles.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE