Author Topic: Awful Storm Chasing Technique  (Read 2519 times)

Offline HailHunter

• Forecaster
Awful Storm Chasing Technique
« on: April 28, 2011, 11:02:15 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XInx2RsPIz8&feature=featured

I just saw this video from Philadelphia. It is amazing no doubt, but it also, quite possibly the most irresponsible storm chasing footage I have ever seen. I don't know what the guy behind the wheel was thinking, but he didn't even try to slow down for a second, and he put himself in tremendous danger. I have never seen something so stupid.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Re: Awful Storm Chasing Technique
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 11:53:07 PM »
You can't cure stupid.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline scottm

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 12:52:02 AM »
Maybe i'm the odd man out, but looks perfectly ok to me ??   Educate me

Offline HailHunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 01:43:03 AM »
Well right off the top he got way too close to that tornado. Storm chasers are advised to remain a safe distance away to avoid being caught in the wind or hit by debris.

Next, he never stopped to examine the tornado's actions, he continue to barrel toward it like a mad man. It did not appear that he slowed up even for a moment and arrived at the tornado's location just seconds after it crossed the road.

Afterward, he traveled into the damaged area which storm chasers are never advised to do because it can hinder police and fire departments.

Not to mention it appeared he drove over a downed power line which could have electrocuted him had the power not been cut to that particular line.

Most storm chasers, particularly veteran or professional chasers who are associated with a university or weather team will try to get into a safe position to view the tornado without getting dangerously close and without interfering in any form with law enforcement.

I have to also point out that some have argued in the past that chasers should go into an area to check for survivors or the injured. That sounds like a good idea, but in reality it should be left up to police, firefighters, paramedics, and those who are familiar with the area in the immediate aftermath.

Volunteers from outside an affected region are typically needed once officials have taken control of the situation and have organized.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 08:34:55 AM »
Maybe i'm the odd man out, but looks perfectly ok to me ??   Educate me

Then don't even THINK about storm chasing.  Something 99.99% of the population has no business doing anyways.

Offline scottm

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 01:47:42 PM »
thanks for the info, and dont worry weather host, i can barely find time to paint the house, much less chase something id normally run from  ;)

Offline IMADreamer

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 02:56:01 PM »
I don't know, the guy is hardly an amateur.  Maybe not the best technique, but I've seen worse.
Hello my name is Jason, I am a Meteorologist, farmer, and auto journalist.
www.infinite-garage.com

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 10:38:59 PM »
he was interviewed on NBC tonight on Dateline.

So it got him 45 seconds of fame.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
  • In Loving Memory Of Hooker The Weather Dog !
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2011, 12:14:33 AM »

Yeah I saw that too!!!  No attempt what so ever to verify the storms' movement,actions or possible debris field but just ran WFO right toward it.
That might not work too many more times !

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member
SkyWarn & Spotter Network 6092

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2011, 12:21:54 AM »

If he wasn't so lucky during the chase he might have got more than 45 seconds of "air time".

Offline HailHunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2011, 12:37:14 AM »
I know that these videos are amazing and so they will always be shown and distributed, but all I can think about is that famous video of the family that huddled under the overpass during the tornado. That video became world famous, and it was incredible to see. Yet, it also ended up costing many people their lives because everyone under the sun instantly thought overpasses were a good shelter and several tried it that weren't so lucky.

The same holds true for this. The more exposure an amateur chaser gets getting these incredible shots (which are only incredible due to how close they get, something professional and knowledgeable chasers 20 years ago rarely ever did out of intelligence) the more and more likely it is becoming that some of these johnny come lately storm chasers that don't bother to get training or even try to educate themselves are going to become a statistic and the video they become famous for will be that in which we see them get killed.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2011, 07:05:03 AM »
^^  That's why I keep trying to discourage the ones that come here.  If you're not a pro, stay home.  You're not helping anybody by getting in the way.

I wish the media would refuse to air these amateur reports, but they see it as cheap footage.  Costs a lot less than paying a seasoned reporter or camera operator for the video.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 07:06:38 AM by WeatherHost »

Offline HailHunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2011, 02:23:04 PM »
Unfortunately, no matter how much discouragement somebody is given, the footage like this will always bring out the adrenaline junkies that have no business being on the road chasing storms.