Author Topic: NWS Charleston, WV Anyone?  (Read 4411 times)

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
NWS Charleston, WV Anyone?
« on: March 08, 2011, 03:51:27 PM »
My weather radio broke an antenna and I havent been able to use it because it does not pick up reception. I have heard that you can listen to the radio broadcast via online. Can anyone tell me how and whether there is any requirements to listen to it? Plus, when I do get my antenna for the radio, does anyone know any methods other than foil to enhance reception?

Thanks,  8-)

--Farmtalk--
Joe Fitzwater
Chief Meteorologist for WVNS-TV 59 in Beckley, WV

Work Page on Facebook -> www.facebook.com/meteojoe
Work Page on Twitter -> https://twitter.com/meteojoe
Waterfalls -> www.wvfalls.com

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline kray1000

• Purveyor of wry
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.roanokevalleyweather.com
Re: NWS Charleston, WV Anyone?
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 07:28:38 PM »
My weather radio broke an antenna and I havent been able to use it because it does not pick up reception. I have heard that you can listen to the radio broadcast via online. Can anyone tell me how and whether there is any requirements to listen to it? Plus, when I do get my antenna for the radio, does anyone know any methods other than foil to enhance reception?

What kind of weather radio do you have?  

If it has an external antenna jack, I highly recommend picking up one of these at Rat Shack:  
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103641

You would also need an RCA audio cable (preferably stereo) to carry the signal to the weather radio, and an adapter or two to connect the antenna to the cable.

If your weather radio doesn't have an external jack, I'd recommend purchasing the Midland WR-300, which does have one.  It also does an excellent job of picking up a signal even without an external antenna.  Based on your location, you should be able to pick up a decent signal from the Charleston broadcast.

Of course, you could just replace the antenna itself, but I recall from one of your earlier posts that your reception is marginal in your area with the radio you have.

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 08:05:53 PM »
Slow Modem,

I have used wunderground forever, and I did not know that they had a list of weather radio sites to listen to it, so thank you so much!!!!!! I will be on that site A LOT until I get a good weather radio

kray 1000,

The weather radio I currently have is an emerson radio, and its not the cream of the crop like my old one, so I should probably just get a new one, but I do not have a job, so I do not get paid (I'm still in high school so I have an excuse!  :-P )  I think I will look at that Midland WR-300 that you are talking about. I might try replacing the antenna first though, since it only costs 5 dollars, but I am unsure whether I will be able to pick up frequency

Thanks to both so much! 8-)

--farmtalk--
Joe Fitzwater
Chief Meteorologist for WVNS-TV 59 in Beckley, WV

Work Page on Facebook -> www.facebook.com/meteojoe
Work Page on Twitter -> https://twitter.com/meteojoe
Waterfalls -> www.wvfalls.com

Offline dkinsc

• Contributor
    • ClemsonKFAP Weather
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 10:17:21 PM »
I might try replacing the antenna first though, since it only costs 5 dollars, but I am unsure whether I will be able to pick up frequency
Can you expand on this?  Frequency response in antennas is not critical for receiving  except in unusual circumstances.  What kind of antenna do you have?  It is amazing sometimes what a longwire or simple dipole can do.

Del
Del
KSCCLEMS2 and DW6419