Author Topic: **Caution, Large embedded images** A few screencaps of latest storm (tornado)  (Read 4094 times)

Offline scottm

• Contributor
As the subject suggests, i took these from the last round of storms from GR3, there was an active warning out at the time for the area of interest. Im not 100% sure if there was a confirmed tornado or not, but i watched this storm for along time and it was a beast.

The image above you can see where the Doppler indicated tornado is supposed to be, and clearly too! At the time i took this, there was a tornado warning out for this area of the storm, i just turned off the box for the screen cap. The first image on the left is the echo tops.

The above image is same storm, you can see from the srv where the cooler air is pushing the leading edge causing a bow echo type scenario.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 04:36:53 PM by scottm »

Offline scottm

• Contributor
Re: few interesting screens of a tornado on radar...i think
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 09:12:49 PM »
sorry, i just realized theres a thread for posting these things, ill put them there from now on.

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 09:39:59 PM »
   Interesting images!  Good correllation between the bow and the velocity image.
     Mark

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 09:42:25 PM »
Great imagery of the storms! Would have liked to have seen the CAPE readings in that region
Joe Fitzwater
Chief Meteorologist for WVNS-TV 59 in Beckley, WV

Work Page on Facebook -> www.facebook.com/meteojoe
Work Page on Twitter -> https://twitter.com/meteojoe
Waterfalls -> www.wvfalls.com

Offline IMADreamer

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 12:03:28 AM »
I can see my house from that image!  lol seriously I can.  Right at the end of the E in Pike in Illinois.  That storm dropped about two inches of rain on us in minutes.  There were two confirmed EF0 tornadoes not long after those captures you posted near the towns of Frankford and Ashburn in Missouri.

BTW thank you for posting, I was stuck at work and couldn't see the radar of those storms.  We had crappy visibility where I was and basically saw nothing of the structure or anything, just the rain.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 12:07:05 AM by IMADreamer »
Hello my name is Jason, I am a Meteorologist, farmer, and auto journalist.
www.infinite-garage.com

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 06:34:59 AM »
Scott,
Leave em here.  You can have your own thread.  I would just put a graphics/size warning in the subject for our dial-up friends.

Andrew

sorry, i just realized theres a thread for posting these things, ill put them there from now on.

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline scottm

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 04:33:45 PM »
@Mark Thanks! I thought the same thing :D

@Farmtalk Yes me too, i'd bet it was in the 2500+ range(just a guesstimation). But if i remember correctly, that day the high risk (beforehand) was in NW Arkansas. Im thinking central-northern Missouri was borderline moderate, But as we all know, that can change in a hurry. But again, im just going off memory here, so take it with a grain of salt.

@IMADreamer You are very welcomed, and im glad you found them useful. Also, thanks for confirming the two twisters, im really surprised there wasnt more, but happy about that because it started getting into high populated areas by that time. Here is a ViL of the storm for you.

@Andrew Thanks for the reminder, i mean no disrespect to dial up users, but i guess i just often forget about that. I'll add the warning right now, and I'll be sure to keep that in mind in the future.

Have a great day everyone  :-P

Scott

Offline The Garden Meterologist

• Contributor
Here is some action today I picked up

Offline scottm

• Contributor
Nice screen TheGarden, I saw it was lit up down there, but i didnt think anything was going to turn severe, i thought it was going to be a rain event. Wish i'd have probed around in it now :)

Thanks for posting the image!

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
scottm,
   What day and time were these storms.  I was trying to look up the skew-t diagrams for that day? The only station in Mo. with a diagram is SGF (Springfield).  I found one diagram that has significant CAPE and that is 5 March @ 00 UTC.  These are from the SPC.  Knowing me lately I am not even in the right state!! #-o ](*,)
    Mark

Offline scottm

• Contributor
Mark, let me look and i'll see if i can get some specifics. I deleted alot of my screencaps, and i normally date them in the image name, but i'll look right now and see if i can get a date. Off the top of my head though, i think it was a bit earlier than the 5th. Be right back with some dates.

Offline IMADreamer

• Forecaster
I think those were from the Feb 27th event.  We've had several recently and they are all running together for me at the moment. lol

Here is the link to the local weather service offices report. http://www.crh.noaa.gov/lsx/?n=02_27_2011

That day was weird, we were in the SPCs slight risk area with the moderate risk in the bootheel of Missouri area.  The whole day just felt like a bust to me.  It was cool and cloudy all day with some fog.  I'd hoped to get some good lightning pics while at work but with the fog I couldn't see the bolts just the flash.  

Scratch all that, I'm thinking this was last friday's event.  The 5th?  Heck I don't know, it was a dud for seeing any weather too.  We were under over cast conditions all day and when the storm rolled through I was on the north side so I had no view of any structure. 
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 07:39:22 PM by IMADreamer »
www.infinite-garage.com

Offline scottm

• Contributor
sorry! i had to leave real fast with my fiance, the date was March 4th,  about 5:30 eastern.

edit: I honestly thought it was earlier than that, my head isnt screwed on straight these days  #-o
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 09:10:42 PM by scottm »

Offline IMADreamer

• Forecaster
That sounds about right.  Like I said we've had so many this year already it's hard to remember. lol 
www.infinite-garage.com

Offline scottm

• Contributor
Thats so very true IMADreamer  :-P   I often try to rely on my memory for numbers, and it dont work so well sometimes lol.

Offline The Garden Meterologist

• Contributor
Nice screen TheGarden, I saw it was lit up down there, but i didnt think anything was going to turn severe, i thought it was going to be a rain event. Wish i'd have probed around in it now :)

Thanks for posting the image!
I think there is more violent weather for that area tonight. here is tornado watch for tonight

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
  I know how you feel scottm.  Here is the skew-t for Springfield for 7pm on the 4th (00UTC 5th).  Surface/MU CAPE is 1010. Forcast Surface CAPE is 1580.
     Mark
(I think I posted this one earlier in this thread too) #-o

sorry! i had to leave real fast with my fiance, the date was March 4th,  about 5:30 eastern.
edit: I honestly thought it was earlier than that, my head isnt screwed on straight these days  #-o

Offline scottm

• Contributor
Thanks for clarifying Mark. Guess it just goes to show you, those numbers are nice for reference and such, but when there is active weather, its up to the individual to stay alert. Many people often let their guard down because they are outside of a watch box and such, but mother nature will show you in a hurry, that no one is exempt.

Thanks again,
Scott