Author Topic: Change WIFI SSID on wifilogger  (Read 1374 times)

Offline gvspfc

• Blumenau/Brazil Wunderground
Change WIFI SSID on wifilogger
« on: October 16, 2020, 02:33:42 PM »
Hi friends

I need to change the SSID of my wifi. How do I change the SSID in wifilogger after changing my network name?

I would not like to miss anything, everything is already configured in the wifilogger.

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
Re: Change WIFI SSID on wifilogger
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2020, 04:42:24 PM »
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2020, 04:48:45 PM »
You will need to open a web browser and go to the IP of the WiFiLogger (192.168.4.1 is used only after pressing the setup switch), then select Setup, WiFi Setup,. Change the SSID in Connect to Router with These Settings. I recommend setting a Static IP under the Advanced Settings. My logger is set as a static IP of 192.168.100.12. I launch that address in a browser and do the above steps to make changes.

Offline gvspfc

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2020, 07:43:51 AM »
I was wondering, what if I put the wifilogger on a temporary wifi network, change my main one, and then reconnect to it?

Offline Garth Bock

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2020, 11:44:49 AM »
You said you didn't want to miss anything.....did you mean logging data ? The logger will continue to do that while you change SSID's (at least mine did). Did you mean uploading to cwop or wu ? The logger should update them after you change your SSID and it reconnects. Are you worried about the length of down time? Not sure the setup of a temp network would save any time. Just change the name of your router
and then go and change it in the logger. If you are keeping the same passcode downtime will be minimal and the logger will continue to log data. Unless you are doing something special where downtime means lost data  but your post didn't indicate it.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 11:46:33 AM by Garth Bock »

Offline gvspfc

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2020, 12:47:26 PM »
You said you didn't want to miss anything.....did you mean logging data ? The logger will continue to do that while you change SSID's (at least mine did). Did you mean uploading to cwop or wu ? The logger should update them after you change your SSID and it reconnects. Are you worried about the length of down time? Not sure the setup of a temp network would save any time. Just change the name of your router
and then go and change it in the logger. If you are keeping the same passcode downtime will be minimal and the logger will continue to log data. Unless you are doing something special where downtime means lost data  but your post didn't indicate it.

I only upload to weatherlink, nothing more. I was just looking for a way to simplify and not go through the whole setup procedure again. I will be sincere. My wifi network at home is still named with my name and my ex-girlfriend and I want to replace it. I thought about routing my cell phone, connecting it to the cell phone's wifi network, changing the name of my home network and reconnecting it to my home network with the new name. I just have to be able do access de wifilogger at my cell phone wifi and everything would be ok I think.

If I change the name of the wifi network at home without moving the wifilogger to another temporary network, I believe that I would no longer be able to access it by his IP address and would no longer be able to connect to the new name of the home wifi network as I would lose access and would need to go through the entire setup procedure again.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 12:51:53 PM by gvspfc »

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2020, 03:11:17 PM »
If it loses WiFi just press the red button a few seconds (how many somebody??) to initiate the loggers setup hotspot. That does not reset everything. Access from your phone or whatever and input the new WiFi credentials.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2020, 05:14:38 PM »
I was about to say I just rename my new modem/router SSIDs to the old one and then I read... "My wifi network at home is still named with my name and my ex-girlfriend and I want to replace it. "  Got  it.  ;)
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Garth Bock

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2020, 06:37:16 PM »
You don't need to go into Setup. If you know the ip address of the WiFiLogger you can go into it though a browser and change the SSID after you change the WiFi routers SSID. Just like I listed in an earlier post.

I still recommend set a static IP address for the logger. Very easy to do.

Offline Garth Bock

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2020, 06:41:29 PM »
Screen cap. Replace the subnet addresses ("100") with your own. To get the screen capture I remoted in through its IP address using my PC's browser without opening up my console and pressing setup.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 06:45:35 PM by Garth Bock »

Offline gvspfc

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2020, 10:17:57 AM »
Screen cap. Replace the subnet addresses ("100") with your own. To get the screen capture I remoted in through its IP address using my PC's browser without opening up my console and pressing setup.

Thank you very much to everyone who is helping. I confess to being quite lay when it comes to networks. Do you mean that, accessing via IP, keeping the browser open, I can change the SSID of my network and, with the wifilogger setup, change the SSID of it without losing the connection?

As for this part:"Replace the subnet addresses ("100") with your own"

Even with the screenshot, I'm sorry, I didn't understand what you say to change.

Offline Garth Bock

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2020, 12:44:25 PM »
Sorry I wasn't very clear about it. I was assuming you knew the IP address of the logger your wireless router had given it.  If you do.....then first go into the logger and change to the new SSID and passcode. Hit Save. The logger will drop offline from your wireless network. Then change the SSID in your wireless router. The logger should connect up and go online.

If you don't know the IP address then...first change the SSID in your wireless router and go to the logger press reset and change the SSID there using the setup procedures.

I set a static IP address in mine as shown. Home wireless routers give an IP address as 192.168.0.x or 192.168.1.x ( the x being the device's number). My D-Link router uses 192. 168.100.x  . I assigned a static IP address of 12 (replacing the x) . That way I can remote into it easily from any computer/tablet/phone on my network without the hassle of pressing setup all the time. My mention of replacing the "100" was so you could do the same according to your wireless setup. Why did I take the long way around with you ? Well you admit to be a lay person on networking...this is how you learn a bit... especially here ! 😁
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 12:47:37 PM by Garth Bock »

Offline gvspfc

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2020, 01:04:38 PM »
Sorry I wasn't very clear about it. I was assuming you knew the IP address of the logger your wireless router had given it.  If you do.....then first go into the logger and change to the new SSID and passcode. Hit Save. The logger will drop offline from your wireless network. Then change the SSID in your wireless router. The logger should connect up and go online.

If you don't know the IP address then...first change the SSID in your wireless router and go to the logger press reset and change the SSID there using the setup procedures.

I set a static IP address in mine as shown. Home wireless routers give an IP address as 192.168.0.x or 192.168.1.x ( the x being the device's number). My D-Link router uses 192. 168.100.x  . I assigned a static IP address of 12 (replacing the x) . That way I can remote into it easily from any computer/tablet/phone on my network without the hassle of pressing setup all the time. My mention of replacing the "100" was so you could do the same according to your wireless setup. Why did I take the long way around with you ? Well you admit to be a lay person on networking...this is how you learn a bit... especially here ! 😁

Garth, thank you very much, now i did understand everything. Do I need to make any change on my wireless router too to set a static IP or just set it on wifilogger and Im good to go?

I do know the IP of the wifilogger, so it should be easy through the way you taught me.

Again, I can't thank you enough

Ps.: Sorry about the english mistakes!

Offline Garth Bock

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2020, 04:39:55 PM »
No problem. You set the static IP only on the device not the router. There is one thing to be aware of.... available IP addresses. In your router there is usually a section labeled something like... Attached Devices. You can see what IP addresses are already in use and pick a number for the logger.