Author Topic: Battery Life - Non Solar ISS  (Read 1526 times)

Offline Flag

• Forecaster
Battery Life - Non Solar ISS
« on: October 20, 2011, 05:26:30 AM »
Anybody done a battery (3V Lithium backup) life test with non solar ISS version and standard sensors?

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Re: Battery Life - Non Solar ISS
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 05:31:52 AM »
It'll be similar to 6372/6382 stations ie 6-9 months - don't think that sensor reading takes much power (or 6372/6382 stations try to read the missing sensors anyway).

Edit: What do you mean 'non-solar'? Cabled or wireless with solar disconnected? Think I was answering the latter.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 06:04:39 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Flag

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 07:01:04 AM »
Yeah wireless and like the 6372/6382 (no solar) as opposed to say something like the 6332.

Now 6-9 months? That's the spec but has anybody actually verified this, practically?

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 07:04:41 AM »
Now 6-9 months? That's the spec but has anybody actually verified this, practically?

Never seen chapter and verse anywhere, but there are plenty of 6372 customers (more so than 6382, perhaps not surprisingly, though still some 6382) and no-one's complaining of short battery life.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Flag

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 05:17:30 PM »

Never seen chapter and verse anywhere, but there are plenty of 6372 customers (more so than 6382, perhaps not surprisingly, though still some 6382) and no-one's complaining of short battery life.

I suppose my question then would be why do we see so many instances of loss of reception at night when typically the solar charged cap has failed and will only run in daylight. So does this mean instances like this have been due to years of maintenance neglect and the 3v lithium are way past their use by date? 

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 05:40:20 PM »
 Ifcap is bad it is possible it has drain the battery and the owner never has checked the battery so ISS runs of the solar panel by day and dies at night. Simple electronics trouble shooting  and knowledge would prove this.

John

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 02:21:30 AM »
Ifcap is bad it is possible it has drain the battery and the owner never has checked the battery so ISS runs of the solar panel by day and dies at night.

Yes, that has to be what happens, at least in overall terms. Though without knowing (and understanding) the circuit details it's difficult to know the precise course of events.

But if you take the battery life in a 'good' (ie no damage to supercap or other related components) VP2 SIM board as 6-9 months with no solar panel attached (eg as in a 6372 Tx) then for a new battery to last only 1-2 weeks in system with a faulty supercap an unintended discharge path for the battery must logically have been created.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK