Author Topic: CWOP station missing from NWS www.wrh.noaa.gov/map/  (Read 1185 times)

Offline tweatherman

• Forecaster
CWOP station missing from NWS www.wrh.noaa.gov/map/
« on: March 06, 2020, 01:03:50 PM »
Anyone know who to contact about missing CWOP site for this website? It's on some MADIS maps but not this one. Site id is CW2615. The site is in NW lower MI by East Jordan.
https://www.wrh.noaa.gov/map/

Thanks,
tweatherman

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: CWOP station missing from NWS www.wrh.noaa.gov/map/
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2020, 01:49:49 PM »
I noticed that it is also missing from MesoWest.

https://mesowest.utah.edu/cgi-bin/droman/meso_base.cgi?stn=C2615

It shows up as a registred CWOP station at wxqa.com. I would have said that it is not importing into MADIS....but then it would not show up on some other sites, where I do see it, like Windy and PWSweather...etc.

https://www.windy.com/station/madis-C2615
https://beta.pwsweather.com/station/mid/c2615

So that is rather strange.

I would start by contacting MesoWest as they are very responsive any time I've contacted them and they know their stuff.
atmos-mesowest (at) lists.utah.edu

Remember to refer to the station as C2615 and not CW2615 as that is just the CWOP ID. Use the MADIS ID of C2615.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 10:12:02 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline tweatherman

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2020, 02:40:41 PM »
Thanks very much.

tweatherman

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2020, 02:51:51 PM »
I wonder if it has anything to do with the station being down for most of the month of January. It also seems to miss some random days here and there.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 03:00:36 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline tweatherman

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2020, 02:59:13 PM »
Really doesn’t show this on wxqa site. I know there was a short time it went down but not for that long.What server is the most reliable?

Thanks,
tweatherman
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 03:01:43 PM by tweatherman »

Offline tweatherman

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2020, 04:38:15 PM »
Got this back from them already.

Hello Tim,

Thank you for contacting MesoWest.  I've reviewed our systems, and data should now be coming into our systems from your weather station at this time.

Regards

Alexander Jacques
Postdoctoral Research Associate
Department of Atmospheric Sciences
University of Utah
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 04:40:07 PM by tweatherman »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2020, 05:34:20 PM »
Good well that fixes that one. But it isn't showing on NWS map yet. I say give it a few days and let's see what happens. I've heard that sometimes it takes a week for these databases to sync up.
Tele-Pole

Offline tweatherman

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2020, 05:35:33 PM »
Yes I asked Alex about this also.

Thanks,
tweatherman

Offline tweatherman

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2020, 07:54:58 PM »
Can anyone tell how to switch to a different server other than from cwop.aprs.net port 14580? I'm seeing a lag of data sent up to 20 plus minutes at times. Looks like CWOP3,4 and 7 have a lot of traffic which is sometimes a good thing.

http://www.wxqa.com/checkservers3.html

Thanks,
Tim
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 08:03:37 PM by tweatherman »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2020, 09:26:08 PM »
There are only two sets of servers to use:

- cwop.aprs.net
- rotate.aprs.net

Both addresses are set to produce a random server selection from various servers in the group. But the rotate.aprs.net is restricted to ham radio users. So your only option is to use cwop.aprs.net. It is not recommended to specify any of the individual servers. At the time neither set of servers is experiencing any issues. You can check the status of all servers here:
http://www.wxqa.com/checkservers3.html

There is nothing to gain from specifying a server.

From looking at your raw APRS data I can see that you are using VWS software. That software does have the capability of specifying upload interval. The current recommended interval is 5 minutes. Also from looking at your raw APRS data I can see that your station for the most part is sending data every 5 minutes. Therefore it would seem that your VWS is configured correctly. But I do see some random misses. That to me indicates issues with the software or most likely with the computer running the software. Or it could just be a normal quirk of the VWS software. As I have no experience with VWS software I would reach out to other people in the VWS board on this forum and ask if this is normal. If it isn't normal you can ask what to look at to improve the reliability of your station uploads.

Another thing to consider is that VWS is getting pretty dated and limited in what it can do. The VWS software has been discontinued. There will not be any patches for bugs or new features going forward. As new services become available you will not be able to take advantage of them. Something to then consider is a migration path to something currently maintained. There are many options to pick from like Cumulus MX, Meteobridge, Weather-Display, and WeeWX and there is also WiFiLogger which is hardware/software solution  for Davis stations. But you will need to determine which of these options are compatible with your hardware as it seems from looking in a few places that you may still be running a Davis Weather Monitor II. The historical database from VWS can be exported/imported into other software.

I just want to say that to anyone reading my comments and thinking to jump on me for suggesting to move off VWS when I know that there are many people that are still running VWS with seemingly no issues, to save it. I'm not saying you need to, nor that you have to get off VWS. I'm just suggesting you have two options...find someone to help you with VWS or get onto something new where people can help you with the new stuff and gain new features while you are at it. As time goes on there will be less and less people to help with VWS for obvious reasons (people die, or they migrate off the hobby, or they move on to new stuff). VWS is never going to see more users and it will just keep declining...every year there will be less and less assistance. There is the cost/benefit decision to make if any of the new stuff with its new capabilities sounds appealing. To some people if it isn't broken then don't fix it. But you are the one here with an obvious issue. Hopefully someone else can help. And by all means if you are happy driving the old Cadillac without radar cruise control and without lane assist then keep driving it. But if it starts to throw bolts and leak here and there, and you can't get anyone to help, or that is just the way it is and can't be fixed, then consider the alternatives.

The bottom line is that there is no problem with the CWOP servers. The problem is on your side with your hardware/software. Or maybe it is as simple as upgrading your networking equipment???? Dunno. You can share more about your equipment and maybe we can make recommendations there too.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 10:29:39 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline tweatherman

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2020, 10:16:05 PM »
Thanks for the great info..

tweatherman

Offline tweatherman

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2020, 09:52:48 AM »
All is well again as my station is showing up here again.
https://www.wrh.noaa.gov/map/

Thanks,
tweatherman