Author Topic: Win10 Computer Won't Wake Up  (Read 2972 times)

Offline Otis

• (aka Paul)
  • Forecaster
    • Lake Huron Weather
Re: Win10 Computer Won't Wake Up
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2020, 09:29:28 AM »
Otis, on the "Cold Power" I forgot to mention, unplug all devices except power except monitor reconectig power.  My bad..  been too many years since I had to do it...

No worries Cutty, will retry that, also few other things.

galfert; as AWL stated, sadly there is no spin up on hard drive but thanks, thanks to everyone for the input - it does take a village.

CW3699

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2020, 09:53:10 AM »
All Dell computer are different, but this is from my Dell's service manual.
Diagnostics: The computer POST (Power On Self Test) ensures that it meets the basic computer requirements and the hardware is working appropriately before the boot process begins. If the computer passes the POST, the computer continues to start in a normal mode. However, if the computer fails the POST, the computer emits a series of LED codes during the start-up. The system LED is integrated on the Power button.The following table shows different light patterns and what they indicate.

Number of LED flashes                     Problem description
               1                                        System board: BIOS and ROM failure
               2                                        No memory or RAM detected
               3                                        System board or chipset error

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline Otis

• (aka Paul)
  • Forecaster
    • Lake Huron Weather
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2020, 07:23:46 AM »
Well still no joy.

Do not have a power supply that will work so could not test that.
The LED blinks constantly when plugged in (power button).  One LED flash every second (about) so could be system board or ROM failure.

I do appreciate all the input but fear this is a system that just is done.

CW3699

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2020, 08:48:14 PM »
Here is how to test a PC power supply.

What you need:
- a paper clip
- a multimeter to measure volts DC current

How to do it:
- ** disconnect power supply from wall AC outlet
- no need to remove power supply for computer case (this is optional)
- disconnect all power connections inside your computer case that come from the power supply. It isn't hard to remember where things go. They can only plug in one way. You can't mess it up. Disconnect power from; motherboard, CPU, CPU fan, case fans, drives, video cards etc. Basically if a cable comes out of the power supply follow it and disconnect it. Document it with photos before disconnection if it makes you feel better to then review for later reconnecting.
- open up paper clip and make a big U shape with it.
- find the large long motherboard power cable connector that your disconnected. The one with 24 connection points.
- on this large power cable connector locate the one and only green cable point.
- insert opened up U shaped paper clip into the green and any black connection points. This is safe. You can use your hands. No shock will result.
- ensure that you lay down this now inserted paper clip so that it doesn't touch anything metal.
- insert AC power cable to wall outlet for the power supply
- ensure that the PC power supply has physical switch turned on if it has a physical switch. This would be located near where you plug in the AC cable. Again not all power supplies have this switch.
- the power supply should now be on. The internal fan of the power supply should be spinning.
- if smoke or sparks occurs immediately disconnect AC power cable from wall.
- if fan is spinning you are now read to test voltages with multimeter.
- test for voltage on one of the small drive power lead wires. Test for 5 volt and 12 volt DC separately. First test black and yellow for 12 volts and then black and red for 5 volts. You can also check for 3.3 volts by testing orange and black on the motherboard connector.

This is a good test that anyone can do. Even if you don't have a multimeter you can test if the power supply turns on and starts its internal fan which that in itself may be more than you get with your computer's power button. If the fan turns on in this manner but not with the PC button then that right there is a good sign that the motherboard is the problem.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 09:03:34 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2020, 10:03:15 PM »
Have had this several times. Since you are getting a flashing yellow light that means you are getting at least 5v from the power supply. You have no fans or motors running can mean the 12v side of the power supply is bad. However all my instances involved the 3.3v regulator on the motherboard. You have a bad motherboard. Pull all inserted cards out including memory Sims and if nothing changes...it is definitely a bad motherboard.

Offline Waimarie

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2020, 10:08:46 PM »
Have had this several times. Since you are getting a flashing yellow light that means you are getting at least 5v from the power supply. You have no fans or motors running can mean the 12v side of the power supply is bad. However all my instances involved the 3.3v regulator on the motherboard. You have a bad motherboard. Pull all inserted cards out including memory Sims and if nothing changes...it is definitely a bad motherboard.

Would that include pulling the CPU?
Fine Offset WH3081 (Deceased)
Mi-Sol  WH2900C
Ecowitt HP2553
Ecowitt GW 1000 915MHz
Ecowitt GW 1000 433MHz
Ecowitt WH31
Ecowitt WH51
Ecowitt WH57
WU: IFEATH6
WOW: 910486001

Offline the beteljuice

• the beteljuice
  • Forecaster
    • test site
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2020, 10:52:16 PM »
Found this on a Dell forum regarding someone who had a dead BIOS battery and PC lost the POST ..

Read somewhere, that someone was able to jumpstart their power supply, then plug it into the MB, power on, then remove the jumper. I decided to try something similar. With everything plugged in and attached as normal (keep in mind, this is back with the OEM Dell power supply) I jumped the green & black wires (again, on the main 24 pin MB connector), and held it there while the fans and everything else started up. I gave it a second or two, then hit the power button and it started booting up. Took out the jumper, and it booted normally, as if nothing had ever happened.

For the brave ....
Imagine what you will KNOW tomorrow !

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2020, 02:59:18 PM »

No do not pull the cpu. Pull memory sims and any insert cards such as video/serial etc If you get some beep tones or a different pattern of light flashes then possibly you had a bad memory sim card loading down the power supply. If you get the same flashing light pattern....it is a bad motherboard and usually on the Dells it is the 3.3v regulator circuit on the motherboard. I have worked on Dells for 20 years and the problem you describe is one of 2 problems that I mentioned above. Bad memory card or a bad motherboard.

Offline Otis

• (aka Paul)
  • Forecaster
    • Lake Huron Weather
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2020, 04:02:20 PM »

No do not pull the cpu. Pull memory sims and any insert cards such as video/serial etc If you get some beep tones or a different pattern of light flashes then possibly you had a bad memory sim card loading down the power supply. If you get the same flashing light pattern....it is a bad motherboard and usually on the Dells it is the 3.3v regulator circuit on the motherboard. I have worked on Dells for 20 years and the problem you describe is one of 2 problems that I mentioned above. Bad memory card or a bad motherboard.

Well I'll try just about anything once.  Will be back.

CW3699

anything