Author Topic: It's FINALLY here! The new PWSweather.com website!  (Read 12071 times)

Offline dunc1ca

• Devil's Elbow/Cham Shan Weather (Weather Underground)
Re: It's FINALLY here! The new PWSweather.com website!
« Reply #75 on: March 09, 2020, 10:30:17 AM »
I submitted another bug found to PWSWeather:

There is a problem on how PWS historical data has handled the change to Daylight Saving Time.  All data from before the time change is shifted ahead an hour as though it was always DST.
Ambient Weather WS-2000
Weather Underground:  ICAVANMO7
PWS Weather:  ICAVANMO7

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #76 on: March 09, 2020, 10:45:28 PM »
I just wanted to say that having used this for several days I'm really liking it.  If we can get the city thing cleared up it'll be perfect for what I need it for.  The "old" PWSWeather site has it correct...

Offline catdon

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #77 on: March 10, 2020, 02:34:54 AM »
Please continue to work on the graphs...resolution needs to be better and appearance also...like the original graphs.
Don
Staten Island, NY

Offline dport

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #78 on: March 20, 2020, 06:27:21 PM »

There is a problem on how PWS historical data has handled the change to Daylight Saving Time.  All data from before the time change is shifted ahead an hour as though it was always DST.

Agree, I gave up on PWS weather a long time ago because of this issue.  I aways had rainfall double counted. Doesnt look like that has changed.  Also, cant really dig into the data well. 

Offline weatherforyou

• Forecaster
  • My weather is on WeatherForYou.com. Is yours?
    • http://www.weatherforyou.com
« Reply #79 on: March 21, 2020, 02:28:39 AM »

Agree, I gave up on PWS weather a long time ago because of this issue.  I aways had rainfall double counted. Doesnt look like that has changed.  Also, cant really dig into the data well.

Have you submitted a support ticket about this within the past month or so?  Getting the rainfall correct is one of the big things being worked on.  As many reports from as many people are needed to make sure something isn't missed.  All support tickets are being evaluated and responded to by the developers.
Joe Torsitano

Offline dport

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #80 on: March 21, 2020, 08:50:59 PM »

Have you submitted a support ticket about this within the past month or so?  Getting the rainfall correct is one of the big things being worked on.  As many reports from as many people are needed to make sure something isn't missed.  All support tickets are being evaluated and responded to by the developers.

I submitted a ticket last year.  The person assisting me was kind enough to change a lot of my historical data (I sent them a list of probably 25 dates where rainfall was incorrect).  Those changes remain intact, but the issue just kept occurring afterwards.  And it appears with the new site nothing has changed.

I use Wifilogger to upload data.  WU, Davis, CWOP...all of those sites show my correct data.  I assume with PWS it has something to do with daylight savings time.  Certain dates have back to back identical rainfall.  I can submit another ticket if that helps you all.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 08:53:44 PM by dport »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #81 on: March 21, 2020, 09:16:50 PM »
I haven't noticed this issue of double rain on days back to back. I wonder if the problem is the WiFiLogger implementation of the PWSweather protocol.

I know a little about the the PWSweather protocol. It supports the same protocol as WU. The WU protocol has two ways of sending data. The data can either be dated (time stamped) or is can be un-dated as in "now" for that data being sent. Perhaps some implementation of either of these methods is failing at one end or the other. Or maybe the real time clock on the WiFiLogger is the problem.

I'm not claiming to know what exactly the issue is. I'm just providing this information to serve as a tip for others to follow. I will alert Wojtek to also look into this.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline dport

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #82 on: March 22, 2020, 08:29:28 AM »
I haven't noticed this issue of double rain on days back to back. I wonder if the problem is the WiFiLogger implementation of the PWSweather protocol.

I know a little about the the PWSweather protocol. It supports the same protocol as WU. The WU protocol has two ways of sending data. The data can either be dated (time stamped) or is can be un-dated as in "now" for that data being sent. Perhaps some implementation of either of these methods is failing at one end or the other. Or maybe the real time clock on the WiFiLogger is the problem.

I'm not claiming to know what exactly the issue is. I'm just providing this information to serve as a tip for others to follow. I will alert Wojtek to also look into this.

Could be the case, not sure.  I have a feeling that it has something to do with daylight savings time and the 24 hour rainfall stamp being put on the wrong day, thus causes back to back rainfall on two consecutive dates.  For reference, below is the time settings on my WifiLogger.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #83 on: March 22, 2020, 10:07:03 AM »
I also use the wifi logger to send data to PWS. Have never had an issue with rainfall.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #84 on: March 22, 2020, 10:12:06 AM »
I do believe that can be WiFiLogger fault.
Time is being read on startup and when NTP time is synchronized.
So for a few hours there can be shifted time.
I will solve this by synchronizing time much more often. Every 1 hour console will be read.
It will be 1:00, 2:00, 3:00 etc.
There will be no such problem any more

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #85 on: March 22, 2020, 11:06:00 AM »
Thank you Wojtek!  [tup]
I guess my hunch was right.
But why not change the upload method to not send a time stamp?
Use  &dateutc=now instead of time stamp.
Using that method then the PWSweather servers gives the recieved data the time stamp of when the packet was received.
Then you don't have to worry about the real time clock in the WiFiLogger. I mean you can if you want sync with NTP more frequently but it isn't necessary for this current issue.

Tele-Pole

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #86 on: March 25, 2020, 12:33:30 PM »
I do believe that can be WiFiLogger fault.

Data point:  I upload using Cumulus 1 and have never had that issue.

Also, the beta PWSWeather site is now down so I guess the new one is "official".

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #87 on: June 05, 2020, 02:42:11 PM »
PWSweather has begun working on the updated interface for managing your station. Expect the new UI to match the current look of the new site. These changes should hopefully occur soon. I got this information from communication with their support staff.

It will probably look similar to this illustration on their site.

Compared to the current old UI. Shown here for historical reference.

Details of old interface (sorry no screenshots of new UI station details for this for comparison):

« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 02:48:34 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #88 on: June 05, 2020, 04:32:28 PM »
Don't believe this has been mentioned but, maybe do some work with the graphs....Like the old style much better...especially on mobile.
Give this a bump.
Graphs are terrible. Higher resolution would be better.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline Jasiu

• Forecaster
    • LexMAWeather
« Reply #89 on: June 05, 2020, 04:50:14 PM »
Don't know if anyone has noted this yet, but it appears that the precip for "nearby stations" is always 0.00. I only noticed this because I was playing around with their API and getting back zeros for my local station - when I had (rare this spring) rain today. If you click on an individual station's dashboard, the precip number is correct, but for all of the listed nearby stations, it says 0.00.

Edit: I have submitted this issue, both for pwsweather and for the API.
https://lexmaweather.info
On Mastodon: @LexMAWeather@toot.community

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #90 on: June 05, 2020, 05:34:31 PM »
Don't know if anyone has noted this yet, but it appears that the precip for "nearby stations" is always 0.00.

What I have noticed is that Nearby Stations do show rain but only accumulated amount within the last hour. When the new PWSweather site first launched the Dashboard for any given station also behaved this way and I didn't like it. It basically never used to show daily total.. instead it only showed hourly rain. This was changed a month afterwards for the Dashboard and it clearly still reflects that as the Dashboard now does say Precip Today. I have documented this below on how it used to be. So glad they changed this.
https://trello.com/c/j1Jeh6Hk

Therefore I believe that the Nearby Stations precipitation is still unfortunately working and displaying this other type of rain amount which is hourly rain.
Example of this working, which I think in my opinion would be better if it were changed to daily rain:

« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 08:50:47 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole