Author Topic: Tuning Blue Systems - alternate channel mapping  (Read 3108 times)

Offline orion_jb2001

Tuning Blue Systems - alternate channel mapping
« on: October 23, 2017, 05:51:48 PM »
Question re blue and E field.  Does one still have to tweak the system as per the brilliant article for tweaking e field probes for the red system using alternate channel mapping etc, with the new blue system?????

Offline W0BTU

Re: Tuning Blue Systems - alternate channel mapping
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 05:55:46 PM »
The alternate channel mapping feature isn't available in Blue, is it?

Do you have a link to that article?
Stations: 1977, 2294

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 06:12:04 PM »
In Blue, E channel is mapped to H channel C, and they share the same ADC. That is automatic, and the Lowest Threshold on either will be the  threshold for both.  H channels A and B don't share an ADC with any E channels, as was the case with RED. There is no function to enable or disable on BLUE. On station setup page, (User page on Blitzortung) the H channels should ALWAYS be inputs 0,1,2 ( if third antenna used, otherwise 2 will be 'undefined').  E channel is ALWAYS input 3, with 4,5 always 'undefined'... If not using E then input 3 will be 'undefined' also.  That's for BLUE. That configuration info is very important.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 06:13:38 PM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Offline W0BTU

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 06:21:40 PM »
Hi Mike,

So is my configuration here wrong?

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 07:27:27 PM »
Doesn't seem to be...Looks Ok...  those loops are a meter and no transformer I assume...

Offline W0BTU

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 07:33:38 PM »
Yes, diamond loops 1 meter between the vertical or horizontal support points, and no transformer.

My confusion was that I forgot that the first antenna was 0 instead of 1.

Thank you!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 07:37:54 PM by W0BTU »

Offline orion_jb2001

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 08:56:58 PM »
In Blue, E channel is mapped to H channel C, and they share the same ADC. That is automatic, and the Lowest Threshold on either will be the  threshold for both. 

Thanks Mike.  As with a lot of these answers, leads to another question. So, especially if your using the 3rd antenna in amp 1 set up, you need to select "force all channels on", so that you can adjust that the 3rd channel or does 3rd channel automatically display with a blue system set up??

Offline orion_jb2001

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2017, 01:34:11 PM »
In Blue, E channel is mapped to H channel C, and they share the same ADC. That is automatic, and the Lowest Threshold on either will be the  threshold for both.

RE above and an observation of server side signal graphs, I currently have my blue settings as channels A, B and C set at 4.2 and E channel set at 2.2, if there is a signal that has triggered all 4 channels, the server graph indicates 4.2, 4.2, 4.2, 2.2. Although the graph showing what has been set on the channels, the 3rd H channel 4.2 would actually be 2.2??
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 01:53:09 PM by orion_jb2001 »

Offline W0BTU

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2017, 03:56:23 PM »
... So, especially if your using the 3rd antenna in amp 1 set up, you need to select "force all channels on", so that you can adjust that the 3rd channel or does 3rd channel automatically display with a blue system set up??

How does one select "force all channels on" on System Blue?  :?:

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2017, 04:27:53 PM »
You cannot force all channels on in BLUE>.. That's only On RED systems. RED had 2 operational H channels, and 3 different BW E channels. To Enable the third channel E you had to 'force channel C on", which displayed H channel C, and the third E channel. You also had to enable 'Alternate channel mappin" in RED.   Neither are required for BLUE. Built in.  The original RED was not designed with E premapped, and when E channel was implemented as an option, the firmware did the mapping, if settings were changed.

BLUE has a single E channel, which operates on the SAME ADC as H channel C.  The Threshold setting is common for HC and E, and will be the higher threshold set for either one.  Gains can be set differently.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 04:31:48 PM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Offline W0BTU

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2017, 04:29:44 PM »
Ah! I thought so. Thanks, Mike.

Offline orion_jb2001

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2017, 12:42:59 AM »
Hi Mike,

not trying to catch you out and appreciate you boffins answer the same question over and over again, but is it the lowest threshold or highest threshold?  My colourful quote, was quoting gains HC and E1 of course would show difference, their gains not thresholds ..... doi

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 06:12:04 PM »  "That is automatic, and the Lowest Threshold on either will be the  threshold for both."

« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 04:27:53 PM »  "The Threshold setting is common for HC and E, and will be the higher threshold set for either one."

Jeff  :-)

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2017, 12:52:55 AM »
Hi Mike,

not trying to catch you out and appreciate you boffins answer the same question over and over again, but is it the lowest threshold or highest threshold?  My colourful quote, was quoting gains HC and E1 of course would show difference, their gains not thresholds ..... doi

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 06:12:04 PM »  "That is automatic, and the Lowest Threshold on either will be the  threshold for both."

« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 04:27:53 PM »  "The Threshold setting is common for HC and E, and will be the higher threshold set for either one."

Jeff  :-)
Cripe..  :oops:  You got me...  =D>   the highest threshold will be common to both...  My bad...don't know where my mind had gone in October...  good catch.

Sorry!
Mike

Offline orion_jb2001

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2017, 12:55:55 AM »
 :lol: for us both !!!!!