Author Topic: App Restrictions No  (Read 512 times)

Offline IndyGman

• KININDIA72
App Restrictions No
« on: July 19, 2019, 06:47:29 PM »
Last week I got a pop up. You want me to agree that you will track where I am and pass that to your advertisers  ($)
And you will give better forecasts because you know where I am.   I'm old enough to be able to see outside.
I un-installed it.  What next ?  WU ? 

Indy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: App Restrictions No
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2019, 06:59:10 PM »
And you will give better forecasts because you know where I am. 
:lol: Oh, that's rich, they can't even run what they've got.... More and more need to continue to bail on this utter joke. =D>

Offline Theo

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2019, 07:05:24 PM »
Well, frankly they probably have been doing that all along without telling you about it.  There is really nothing for free in life and they were using your data to monetize it some how.  I do not run the app, the only practical use I have for WU is so I can sniff the packets going there from my Atlas and put them in weewx.

Offline WxFox

• Northern Androscoggin Weather
  • Happiness is having my toes in the warm sand.
    • Northern Androscoggin County Weather
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2019, 10:25:36 PM »
If you want a phone app (I think there's a version for Android but I use iPhone) that gives you the same data and more, gets your station data from WU and gives an accurate forecast, and has a great radar map that shows past or future, has great graphics and gives you the NWS alerts... I use Weather Mate. But forget the free version; it doesn't do much. You have to pay to play, but I've used it for more than 2 years and I really like it. It's my go to weather app and it gets better with every update. No ads, no membership, no subscription. Pay once and done. Even has a widget that you can configure to be as complex or as simple as you like. When an app is free, I avoid it; there's usually a gotcha in it somewhere. I always get the paid version of any app.
Davis VP2 (cabled) Uploading to PWS, Weather Underground, Weathercloud, WOW, WeatherBug, AWEKAS and Twitter, using Cumulus.  Cabled = fewer problems, less maintenance and better reliability!

Northern Androscoggin Weather:
http://home.myfairpoint.net/~jody2011/index.php
Mobile friendly: http://home.myfairpoint.net/~jody2011//iCumulus/#_home
CWOP AV346