Author Topic: Shut it down  (Read 1194 times)

Offline konz

• Senior Contributor
    • ArlingtonWX
Shut it down
« on: July 13, 2019, 02:06:34 PM »
Maybe it would be best to just delete this organization from the WXforum.org site.

Offline rormeister

• Senior Contributor
Re: Shut it down
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2019, 05:13:56 PM »
Maybe it would be best to just delete this organization from the WXforum.org site.
Agreed. It's not as though anything useful or helpful will ever come of it. Here is a screen grab from a station that I attempted to contact a year ago. Looks like regardless that it hasn't reported for 20 years, it still maintains it's impeccable gold badge.
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Offline antstrafer

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2019, 08:41:10 PM »
the last update 20---50---yearys ago is just a code toads brain fart
Davis Vantage Pro2 plus     Meteobridge

CWOP FW5142    PWS THAI817    MADIS F5142
WU KTXTHALI2    AWEKAS           weatherobs

Offline MchWxEnthusiast

• That Guy
  • Contributor
  • Nothing Much
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2019, 08:56:52 PM »
IBM f**king Took away WU and TWC from us So We should get them Taking Down
Weather Radio Freq: 162.475 MHz
Weather Radio Loc:  Plainwell, MI
Transmitter Call Sign: WWF34
Streaming Status: NN

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2019, 11:51:59 PM »
Looks like regardless that it hasn't reported for 20 years, it still maintains it's impeccable gold badge.
Considering that WU didn't have PWS reporting in 1999 that's quite funny.  Those didn't show up until fall of 2000.  :lol:

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2019, 12:28:49 AM »
Other than the Bloomsky camera not meshing,  everything works fine for me as always.

Offline awsum140

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2019, 09:31:41 AM »
Rather than shutting down the forum thread, shutting down WU would be even more profitable for Big Blue.  Given their level of interest in WU what's the point of keeping it running?
If it's not a Boerboel it's just a dog.

Offline awsum140

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2019, 10:54:12 AM »
I think that "20 years ago" as a "last reposted" time is just a default when no reports are received.  I just noticed, while updating my own dashboard, that it flashed "50 years ago" when it had been showing 20 or 40 years ago during updates/refreshing the screen.  Maybe, maybe, just maybe, someone is actually working on something over there.  Not counting any chickens, holding my breath or crossing any digits though.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 11:13:30 AM by awsum140 »

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2019, 11:05:30 AM »
Mine flashes 50 years most times. Just started that, was 49 yrs until a couple weeks ago.

The cool one is occasionally it flashes 2020 yrs.

Offline floodcaster

• Forecaster
    • Goose Lake Weather
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2019, 11:22:34 AM »
I think that "20 years ago" as a "last reposted" time is just a default when no reports are received.  I just noticed, while updating my own dashboard, that it flashed "50 years ago" when it had been showing 20 or 40 years ago during updates/refreshing the screen.  Maybe, maybe, just maybe, someone is actually working on something over there.  Not counting any chickens, holding my breath or crossing any digits though.

I don't have an IT or programming background but I'm pretty sure that's a UNIX epoch thing
Bill

Offline awsum140

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2019, 11:55:38 AM »
Oh well.  Hope springs eternal.

Offline konz

• Senior Contributor
    • ArlingtonWX
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2019, 12:48:44 PM »

I don't have an IT or programming background but I'm pretty sure that's a UNIX epoch thing

I think ive seen something somewhere that it begins at 1970.

Offline Mabcmb

• My WU page
  • Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2019, 12:54:26 PM »
From WU " about us " .... Weather Underground has challenged the conventions around how weather information is shared with the public since 1993 .... And my favorite part  from the " about us " ..... The beating heart of our brand is the generous and passionate community of weather enthusiasts that share weather data and content across our products. With 250,000+ of our members sending real-time data from their own personal weather stations, they provide us with the extensive data that makes our forecasts and products so unique......  https://www.wunderground.com/about/our-company

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2019, 07:26:59 PM »
I am almost 72 years old,  probably dense from not using my scientific brain for much for the last six years,  but I don't see an issue.   WU accepts my data and what they do with it Lord Only Knows, but it is there, free and cheap.   The only problem I do have is that My Bloomsky won't register with the credentials that WU has given me.  The issue is with Bloomsky.  In a nice way, after many mailings, postings... they are too busy to work about that stuff now.   So..   I am not going to worry. If one day it works, fine,  if not I probably will practice my T-ball with the Bloomsky and my daughter's old softball bat.

BUT WU is doing fine otherwise.   At least someone might one day actually give a rat's hiney (Which isn't as clean as the little red bear in the Charmin commercials who sings , "I'm clean, I'm clean, my hiney is clean, charmin clean...)about weather out my way. (which is why I discontinued by station and went with WeatherLink Live and all that).  But I wouldn't shut it down. Nope.

Offline wxthomson

• http://www.minnetonkaweather.com
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2019, 08:40:32 PM »
I am almost 72 years old,  probably dense from not using my scientific brain for much for the last six years,  but I don't see an issue.   WU accepts my data and what they do with it Lord Only Knows, but it is there, free and cheap.   The only problem I do have is that My Bloomsky won't register with the credentials that WU has given me.  The issue is with Bloomsky.  In a nice way, after many mailings, postings... they are too busy to work about that stuff now.   So..   I am not going to worry. If one day it works, fine,  if not I probably will practice my T-ball with the Bloomsky and my daughter's old softball bat.

BUT WU is doing fine otherwise.   At least someone might one day actually give a rat's hiney (Which isn't as clean as the little red bear in the Charmin commercials who sings , "I'm clean, I'm clean, my hiney is clean, charmin clean...)about weather out my way. (which is why I discontinued by station and went with WeatherLink Live and all that).  But I wouldn't shut it down. Nope.

I agree.
For me I have everything I need.
I can pull up all my data going back 11 years ago when I started sending to them.

anything