Author Topic: WiFiLogger - Connect your Davis console directly to the Internet via WiFi  (Read 109181 times)

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
GSM is still an idea. I have checked possibilities and there is no way that I could not add GSM modem to WiFiLogger.

At this moment I have stable firmware and I am preparing the lot for shipping.
Next step after distribution is to hear what people wants and add it to WiFiLogger, if its will be doable.

I will sale through Ryan for USA + Canada and For EU I want to have contract with UK reseller. I won't sell directly. I won't make competition to my dealers.

If you want GSM, please wait until it will be available. I will give info here, but that can take a while. Prototyping, programming, testing consume a lot of time.
WiFiLogger will be on market very soon.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
What is GSM?
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
We are talking about GSM/GPRS Cellular Modem. Use your cellular provider service to connect to the Internet.
You need SIM card to use it.

Offline Brientim

• Contributor
What is GSM?
General Service for Mobile = the mobile or cellular network

If realised, it would remove the requirement for other add ons like but 3G/4G alternates

https://www.davisnet.com/product/vantage-connect-for-wireless-stations-cdma/

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
We are talking about GSM/GPRS Cellular Modem. Use your cellular provider service to connect to the Internet.
You need SIM card to use it.
Yeah, I knew that. :oops:
The brain is slowing down as I get older.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground

I will sale through Ryan for USA + Canada and For EU I want to have contract with UK reseller. I won't sell directly. I won't make competition to my dealers.

I have informed Ryan I want one of your loggers as soon as he receives them from you. I assume the logger comes with instructions in English that even a retired accountant like me can understand and apply? I assume you log into a web page from a computer, say, 192.168.1.1 and enter the various sites I want to upload data to including their respective credentials assigned to my station, enter my coordinates, etc.?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 08:15:44 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
GSM cellular networks in some countries have been shutdown quite some years ago as they are aging technology and replaced by 3G, which has also been replaced in some countries by 4G, then 4GX with 5G is already out there and being tested. GSM is probably a backward step? 

Offline kobuki

• Forecaster
Looks like a nice device. How do you plan on adding new upload functionality? Will there be any API or DK to aid 3rd parties in that? Also, would it be possible to add MQTT publish functionality later? It would be great to have to interface with a wide range of existing software.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
All small modules has RAM limitation. To make it run firmware has to be optimized.
That is major problem why I have to programm each service like WU, PWS ... and don't give you universal interface to make upload by yourself.
Anyway I will try to make HTTP GET interface. I just need to figure it out, how to do it.
Interface are HTML files. You can change them and upload to device. Changing appearance it can be done by anyone.
It's operating with JSON format. HTML page is downloading JSON file to show it on screen.
If you need something more, I will do it. In this scenario it is possible to make own skin (html page).

Yes MQTT is on the TODO list.

GSM 2G is disabled in Japan and South Korea. Yes my GSM module would be GPRS 2G, because there is a lot tested modules on market.
We will try, we will test it. GSM 2G/3G/4G will have almost same interface, so we just upgrade when it will be needed.
First GSM addon need to proof itself, that is needed to people.

Offline kobuki

• Forecaster
JSON output for HTTP interfacing is perfect. Also MQTT is planned is great to see! It's better for feeding to services similar to WU rapidfire instead of polling. You can count me in for future purchases :)

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
I have informed Ryan I want one of your loggers as soon as he receives them from you. I assume the logger comes with instructions in English that even a retired accountant like me can understand and apply? I assume you log into a web page from a computer, say, 192.168.1.1 and enter the various sites I want to upload data to including their respective credentials assigned to my station, enter my coordinates, etc.?

I wanted to welcome a new I hope a satisfied customer.
I am preparing first lot to send now. Ryan rush me, probably because of you. I will send it this week.
I have first version of manual, but I will rewrite it. You will find all needed steps in manual.

Yes you are right. After pressing a button, WiFiLogger will generate new WiFi network "WiFiLoggerSetup" which has no security.
You need to take smatphone/laptop to connect to this network and use address http://192.168.4.1. IP and network name is stable in this mode.
You are using this temporary network to setup wifi connection with your home network SSID and PASSWORD.
Then WiFiLogger will be log in to your home network and will receive new IP number from DHCP service running on your router.
With new IP you can always reach WiFiLogger to setup it, or just view data. Always restart WiFiLogger to disable SETUP MODE.
There is another option, but not all routers can handle this. You don't need to remember IP. You can use name (defined by you) and ".lan" or ".local" ending
example: http://wifilogger.lan/ or http://192.168.2.124/ is the same.

Offline Brientim

• Contributor
You are addressing the US and EU markets; however, are you looking at the rest of the world I.e Australia?

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
My idea was to have reseller from UK, who can provide service to EU and Australia.

Offline Brientim

• Contributor
My idea was to have reseller from UK, who can provide service to EU and Australia.
Thanks and fair enough as either  the US or UK are relative the same from a purchasing perspective to Australia

Offline kobuki

• Forecaster

Isn't the list of allowed WiFi frequencies different in AU than in the UK? I think an additional FCC/CE/whatever conformity declaration is also required...

Offline Brientim

• Contributor
There are some difference and I am not sure if the specific but I thought generically WIFI fall under 3 cm zones, US, Japan and rest of the world.  Australian using a narrower range of channels and frequencies.

Leaving certification out of the decision, I have never experienced any issues expect some new wifi device out of the US which identifies that you it is not the designated region (US).

Offline kobuki

• Forecaster
Leaving certification out of the decision, I have never experienced any issues expect some new wifi device out of the US which identifies that you it is not the designated region (US).

Yeah, it's the user's responsibility to set the correct area when it's available on the UI of the device.

BTW, Wikipedia article on the subject.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
WiFiLogger in normal usage works as a client.
Your router choose channel on which network is working. In US you have just less channels to choose, but this is very important for routers.
At this moment you can't choose channel, but if there will be some additional setting needed I will make it.

WiFiLogger is built on ESP8266 wifi chip. This particular ESP-12S version has FCC and CE certificates, with lab testing etc.
WiFi power is less than 100mW. Compatible with all standards.
It's in distribution all over the world.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
Today I have only good news.
- Scaled Instruments will have WiFiLoggers in distribution in less than 10 days. 5-7 days I hope.
- PRODATA WEATHER SYSTEMS from UK will take care of distribution on EU market. I will deliver first set in 10 days.

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
Today I have only good news.
- Scaled Instruments will have WiFiLoggers in distribution in less than 10 days. 5-7 days I hope.
- PRODATA WEATHER SYSTEMS from UK will take care of distribution on EU market. I will deliver first set in 10 days.

Great news. I am on Ryan’s list to get one. I hope your instructions are good, written in plain English as you have clearly demonstrated in this Forum, and the firmware in the logger will be easy to update as with any new product, some unintended problems or issues will develop requiring an update.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 09:35:00 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
Updating firmware is easy, but little inconvenient. You have to upload one major binary file and up to 9 small additional files. That was necessarily and when it will be possible, it will be improve. It's really easy, but you have to upload files repeating same procedure up to 10 times.
New manual will be written. I have first version still and it's good as quick lunch.
There is no problem for good computer user to setup WiFiLogger, it's easy, but all has to be explained in manual anyway.
I was developing new options, that why manual is the last thing to do.

Offline Brientim

• Contributor
A suggestion... to stop questions about the manual, add it or link on first post.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
Wow. I didn't know that is possible to modify old post.
First version of manual is added to first post.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
I would like to ask my future clients to address technical problems and suggestions here on the forum, or directly to me by email: wifilogger@qq.com
Please don't bother resellers with technical questions, this is my job.

Offline twcmaster

• Contributor
I just got mine in the mail from Scaled Instruments and I must say this thing is awesome! Thank you for taking the time not only to develop it, but share it with the rest of us!!!

anything