Author Topic: Super Typhoon Haiyan Closes in on the Philippines With 190 mph Sustained Winds  (Read 7636 times)

Offline Jerry75

• Jeepneyguide | Climate Philippines
Let's hope it is the last one this year that hits The Philippines, this area was a few weeks ago already badly damaged by a earthquake

Offline Harryca

• Forecaster
    • Union City, CA Weather
Now there are reports that the death toll could reach 10K. :shock:
I would expect a high casualty count but if this happens it would be a huge tragedy as they knew this storm was approaching for sometime. The Philippines aren't an impoverished country like  Haiti. I just find it hard to believe that people wouldn't evacuate based on the immense power of that storm.I would hope those projections turn out to be false.

Maybe this will help.

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/11/16/21477014-why-wasnt-the-philippines-better-prepared-for-the-typhoon-corruption-shoddy-buildings-to-blame?lite

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
Thanks for the link Harry.
I didn't realize how bad things were before the storm hit.
Unfortunately it takes tragedies like this to turn things around. :-(
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
If you ever been to the philipines you would under stand why.

Offline Harryca

• Forecaster
    • Union City, CA Weather
After and before sat views of Tacloban and surrounding areas from NASA Earth Observatory.

Plant-covered land is red; urban areas are white and silver; bare ground is tan; and water and shadows are black. From ASTER’s wide perspective, it is not possible to see individual city blocks of destroyed buildings. But the subtle differences between the images do reveal a wide-scale disaster.

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/NaturalHazards/view.php?id=82420&src=nhrss
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 09:54:55 PM by Harryca »