Author Topic: A New Live Alert Map | Soliciting Input & Feedback  (Read 1002 times)

Offline skorux

• tornado.live
A New Live Alert Map | Soliciting Input & Feedback
« on: June 03, 2023, 03:25:40 AM »
I got access to the Wire Service a while back, and I finally put in the time to make use of it.

I present for your consideration and feedback: https://tornado.live/

In order to get closer to real-time delivery of weather alerts to your browser, it uses web sockets instead of polling on a timer. So instead of needing to wait 30 seconds or so fot the next refresh of the map, web sockets allow the Ingest Service, which receives and parses the products headers and polygon, to send the alert the moment it gets it. The site keeps a connection to the server, because that's the whole point of it - to be live, to reduce as much delay as possible.

Current Functionality:
  • Get Current Active & New Products as issued
  • View Alerts with a Polygon on the Map

Currently Broken:
  • Watch Polygons - In order to load all products when you first load, a "summary" request is sent. All active products, and their polygons, are returned. County/Zone polygons have an obscene amount of points, and I had to remove them from the summary request because it would take too long to build the message. Working on a workaround.

Planned Functionality:
  • Better Mobile Support
  • Point, County, Zone, and Web Location Based Filtering
  • Audio Alerts (based on filters)
  • Web Push Notifications (primarily for watch notifications, Cellular Alerts/WEA or your weather radio should still be relied on for unexpected warnings)
  • Webhooks*

* aha! an asterisk! - yes. The reason I made this in the first place. I wanted my own home automations to have more real-time alerts. Like playing the alert over the all the speakers in the house, turning on all the lights when a warning is issued (but fading on at night, so you're not blinded by the light), suspending any low priority containers on the home server and stopping any file operations so that nothing is lost if the power goes out. Yes, weird things like that. But I didn't want to write something that could only be used in one place, given how useful a live feed is. So I made this.

I have no plans to monetize the map in any way. I don't want banner ads, video ads, text ads... (it's disgusting how many ads a certain... channel has on their map). I want it to be useful and informative to those who need it. But in order to build webhooks, I needed to build out most of this functionality anyways, and the map looks nice. But the functionality I'd plan to monetize would be webhooks. Not looking to get rich off of this, but to fill a gap for weather enthusiasts to get something like this at a more reasonable price and pay the server bill.

So I pose another question to anyone reading this: if you know what webhooks are and would be interested in a service that sent you webhook notifications for weather alerts affecting your tracked locations, what would you be willing to pay for it? Would you pay per webhook? Per event (with a valid ETN)? Per month?

Offline tmabell

• Forecaster
    • Mishawaka Weather
Re: A New Live Alert Map | Soliciting Input & Feedback
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2023, 03:44:38 PM »
Looks good so far my friend!  I have a suggested workaround for the watch polygons.  Why not use the SAW product for those? Here is a sample...

WWUS30 KWNS 030305
SAW7
WW 257 SEVERE TSTM TX 030305Z - 030800Z
AXIS..60 STATUTE MILES NORTH AND SOUTH OF LINE..
85WSW HDO/HONDO TX/ - 30ENE HDO/HONDO TX/
..AVIATION COORDS.. 50NM N/S /33SSE DLF - 15WSW SAT/
HAIL SURFACE AND ALOFT..2 INCHES. WIND GUSTS..60 KNOTS.
MAX TOPS TO 550. MEAN STORM MOTION VECTOR 29025.

LAT...LON 29740048 30389872 28659872 28000048

THIS IS AN APPROXIMATION TO THE WATCH AREA.  FOR A
COMPLETE DEPICTION OF THE WATCH SEE WOUS64 KWNS
FOR WOU7.

Offline skorux

• tornado.live
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2023, 10:59:51 PM »
Looks good so far my friend!  I have a suggested workaround for the watch polygons.  Why not use the SAW product for those? Here is a sample...

WWUS30 KWNS 030305
SAW7
WW 257 SEVERE TSTM TX 030305Z - 030800Z
AXIS..60 STATUTE MILES NORTH AND SOUTH OF LINE..
85WSW HDO/HONDO TX/ - 30ENE HDO/HONDO TX/
..AVIATION COORDS.. 50NM N/S /33SSE DLF - 15WSW SAT/
HAIL SURFACE AND ALOFT..2 INCHES. WIND GUSTS..60 KNOTS.
MAX TOPS TO 550. MEAN STORM MOTION VECTOR 29025.

LAT...LON 29740048 30389872 28659872 28000048

THIS IS AN APPROXIMATION TO THE WATCH AREA.  FOR A
COMPLETE DEPICTION OF THE WATCH SEE WOUS64 KWNS
FOR WOU7.

I already store the polygons for all zones/counties in the US from NOAA's data. Since Watch Notifications don't have a polygon attached, I'll use the UGC to match it with zones/counties I have stored and pull their polygons from my database. Since the priority is active warnings, watches will just be something that is fetched in the background when someone selects a watch to view. That way it doesn't load it unless they request it, and it keeps the background workers from hanging when fetching the products.

I'm also looking into post processing on the server to flatten the polygon object and remove county lines, but I also think people like having their county lines, and that postprocessing might be just as intensive as just serializing all the polygons.

I'll look into SAW's, I don't think I can rely on it to get polygon data, since the WCN comes first, and I'd have to wait for the SAW to be issued to get a smaller polygon.

Offline tmabell

• Forecaster
    • Mishawaka Weather
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2023, 08:29:00 AM »
Actually, the WCN is last.  The SAW, SEL, WOU, etc. are all issued first followed some minutes later by the WCN.  The polygon is absolute and is not bound to county or state borders.  Just FYI.

anything