Author Topic: 16 port gigabit switch  (Read 1096 times)

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
16 port gigabit switch
« on: December 09, 2019, 07:43:35 PM »
I've had some netlink and trend gigabit switches, but only 8 ports each, and one inbound linking to the router, so only 14 hard wired places to attach.  Printers, computers, WAPs, Blitzortung and TOA lightning sniffers, stuff like that.

Now I need a few more, and went looking for a reasonable 16 port to replace one of them with so I don't stack them more than one deep.

I really don't like the RJ45s on the front, but finding a 16 with jacks on back is tough.  I found one TREND but it is both white (I guess it doesn't matter) and plastic case (which I'd like to avoid).

So the question is, is a plastic case all that bad, while trying to keep the electrical noise down as much as possible? 

And anyone know of a quality switch that has the jacks on the back?  I guess if I were a systems guy and fiddling with the panels all the time, having the rat's nest of wires in front is a sign of accomplishment, not a sign of the mess.  But so far the switches I have do have the jacks on the back and it just seems a wee bit prettier.

Thoughts?  Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline AWL

• Forecaster
    • Ardmore Weather Live
Re: 16 port gigabit switch
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2019, 07:49:37 PM »
New Egg maybe?

Doug

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2019, 07:51:45 PM »
I'd prefer metal, but I wouldn't be too concerned about the plastic.  I'd just keep it further away from sensitive devices.

The biggest problem I've had with plastic chassis is having them start to melt when someone crams too much stuff in a small space.

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2019, 08:08:23 PM »
Yeah, most of them are fanless, and I guess are now 'green' so they shut down stuff when nothing is connected to that port.

I have the Blitzortung detectors not too far away, but always worried about the background noise.  Taken light dimmers out.  Looked for bad lightbulbs and ballasts and stuff.  So I'd like to keep things in metal boxes if possible.  I guess I could just take a chance.

I did page through NewEgg and didn't see anything after the first couple hundred, but may just say chuck it and grab a metal boxed one even if the plugs are into the front.

I'm wondering what kind of heat must be generated to melt a plastic case?  Wowzers!
Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2019, 08:11:01 PM »
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

anything