Author Topic: Need to run Weather Link AND Virtual Weather Station  (Read 4798 times)

Offline Blizzard

• Contributor
Need to run Weather Link AND Virtual Weather Station
« on: July 08, 2014, 07:53:24 AM »
Hi everyone,

Here's a problem I've been trying to solve for a year. I need to send data to a private company using Weather Link (Weather Link NOAA format data), but I run Virtual Weather Station that I love for my personal website.

The temporary solution I found is to plan tasks in Windows Vista to turn VWS off every 3 hours and run WL for 1 minute within my 5 minute VWS interval before turning it on again. However, the private company I send my data to will soon need me to send data every 15 minutes. My temporary solution will then become a headache for me... and my computer.

Any solution ? Is there a way to run both WL and VWS at the same time ? Would the use of another vantage pro 2 console connected to the same sensors work ? How ?

Thanks a lot !!!

Offline wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
    • My PWS at Leuven Belgium Europe
Re: Need to run Weather Link AND Virtual Weather Station
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 08:44:44 AM »
Hi everyone,

Here's a problem I've been trying to solve for a year. I need to send data to a private company using Weather Link (Weather Link NOAA format data), but I run Virtual Weather Station that I love for my personal website.

The temporary solution I found is to plan tasks in Windows Vista to turn VWS off every 3 hours and run WL for 1 minute within my 5 minute VWS interval before turning it on again. However, the private company I send my data to will soon need me to send data every 15 minutes. My temporary solution will then become a headache for me... and my computer.

Any solution ? Is there a way to run both WL and VWS at the same time ? Would the use of another vantage pro 2 console connected to the same sensors work ? How ?

Thanks a lot !!!
The simple, inexpensive and proven solution is running VVP or Virtual VP
http://www.softwx.com/weather/virtualvp.html
You can then run up to 8 weatherprograms in parallel.

Of course you could also buy that second logger and an envoy/console.
They would both listen to the same ISS and other sensors without any problem.
But that will cost a lot more money.

Succes, Wim

Offline Blizzard

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 09:20:53 AM »
Wow ! I should have posted my question before. It looks awesome. When you say effective, has it been tried by many here ? Is it complicated to use/set ? Any need for other installation (drivers, softwares-other than WL and VWS) ? English isn't my first language and I'm not a computer nerd...

Offline wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
    • My PWS at Leuven Belgium Europe
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 09:29:20 AM »
Wow ! I should have posted my question before. It looks awesome. When you say effective, has it been tried by many here ?
Yes, I use it myself and so do many others.A search on the forum will result in a lot of reading material
Is it complicated to use/set ?
more or less easy, just try
Any need for other installation (drivers, softwares-other than WL and VWS) ?
depends on your windows version 32/64 bit
English isn't my first language and I'm not a computer nerd...
There is a lot of help around. And by installing this small program you are far more flexible for the future than with an extra, more expensive logger+console;

I think the current version is still available free, but always there is enough time to test it.
I run it in a windows7 environment but there are a lot of multiple weather-program users. So probably every version of windows is tested with VVP.

This is the link to the forum page for VVPhttp://www.wxforum.net/index.php?board=45.0

Succes, Wim

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 10:42:21 AM »
I use a netbook for my WX station. It has VVP running that feeds WUHU and VPLive.   WUHU sends to WU, PWS, and AWEKAS.       VPLive sends to CWOP.   I also have WL and CUmulus on the netbook but only run them if I need to.   

I have Cumulus, WL, a WUHU on a spate computer that accesses VVP across my network using TCPIP. I don't run them all the time but just when I want to see or change something. It is much easier to make changes to the logger and console using WL than the console.

I think in your case you may be able to use VVP without a virtual com driver which will make setup much easier.   

Install VVP have it connect to the logger using the same com port that you currently use.     Connect WL and VWS to VVP using the TCPIP mode.

I have not done it that way but I think it will work.

If not you will need to install a virtual comport driver.

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 10:46:30 AM »
I put VVpro to the test by running VWS, WD, Cumulus, WL, and VPLive. Everything has run for the past several years with no problems.

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 11:39:34 AM »
Softwx also has another product (StartWatch) that will make your life even easier. It monitors your running programs and will automatically restart them should they hang or stop working. As far as I am concerned, it is a must when running WL and VWS. It's also a free software package.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 11:43:07 AM »
+1 on all that was said

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline CamarilloWX

• CamarilloWX
  • Senior Contributor
    • Camarillo Weather
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2014, 06:47:24 PM »
Does VirtualVP work with newer Davis Stations?  I have not tried it based on the disclaimer at the SoftWX website.

Important Note: The current version of VirtualVP is not compatible with the latest version of Davis' VantagePro software because of changes made in the Davis software.
Eric

Offline Blizzard

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2014, 10:21:32 PM »
Thanks a lot for all your comments. Very helpful. I need to have my computer boosted with memory and a SSD. Than I'll give VVP a try !