Author Topic: Difference in readings between PWS, WU & weatherlink  (Read 1721 times)

Offline hdtvluvr

• Senior Contributor
Difference in readings between PWS, WU & weatherlink
« on: December 10, 2023, 10:34:54 AM »
Weather Station is a Davis Vantage Pro2

Temperature  WeatherLink 72, WU 71 (9 minutes ago) and PWS is 68.7 (11 minutes ago). 
Humidity  WeatherLink 84%, WU 79% (1 minute ago) and PWS is 92% (6 minutes ago).

Why such a difference?

On WU, it has Pressure, Dew Point, Humidity, Rainfall, etc under Additional Conditions.  Is this data from my station or elsewhere? Humidity seems to be staying 3 - 4 % less on WU than the WeatherLink data.

Just rechecked WeatherLink and PWS.  Weatherlink says 74 (83% Hum) and PWS is 70.6 degrees (92% Hum 6 minutes ago).  PWS has my station listed as "Initiating".  Is the Initiating the reason the data is off?  Seems that it should match.  I like the layout of PWS but if the data isn't correct then it is unusable.  It also appears to be updating 20 - 25 minutes apart instead of the 15 minutes for WU. 

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
Re: Difference in readings between PWS, WU & weatherlink
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2023, 02:25:42 PM »
Hi,
I am not familiar with PWS "initializing" but if yours is a very recent signup you may need to be patient.  How are you updating PWS?  I presume updating WU through Weatherlink.com?

I am uploading to Weatherlink.com, WU and PWS from the same IP device at 5-min interval (and half a dozen other sites) and data seems to be pretty consistent between them.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline hdtvluvr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2023, 04:02:13 PM »
PWS sets new stations to initializing for several days while they check and somehow QC the data.  I'm updating WU from Weatherlink.com.  I have the basic plan and uploads occur every 15 minutes to 3 potential sites - WU, CWOP and WOW.  For PWS, I created an account and then added my station there by entering the 2 API V2 keys.  I thought that would allow PWS to call for data when it decided to.  The 20 plus minutes it is changing seems a long time.  I have to sign up for a Pro account for 5 minute uploads but not sure that would cover PWS since it isn't one of the 3 they list.  I assume WeatherLink pushes data to the 3 sites and thought that PWS might query WL for data.  Can't find a way to change anything in PWS.

Data across the 3 sites now are very close and could be rounding errors
WeatherLink  78 deg and 63% humidity
WU 78.1 and 62%
PWS 78.5 and 62%

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2023, 04:50:10 PM »

For PWS, I created an account and then added my station there by entering the 2 API V2 keys.  I thought that would allow PWS to call for data when it decided to.
I am not familiar with that upload process as I upload from my WiFiLogger to PWS, and also another PWS account uploaded by Cumulus.

I know CumulusMX can access Weatherlink.com data through the API but not aware that PWS can do that.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline hdtvluvr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2023, 06:08:15 PM »
Well, PWS must be able to access Weatherlink.com (using the API keys) because data is getting to PWS and I can't upload the data to PWS through the Weatherlink.com website.  How often does CumulusMX pull data? 

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2023, 07:00:15 PM »

How often does CumulusMX pull data?
I have the WL.com Pro subscription so my WL.com data is logged at 5-minutes. 
Cumulus gets near livestream broadcast direct from a WLL or console/logger for some data and the data from WL.com I think once a minute.  For the period that Cumulus was not running at startup it gets the archived data from WL.com at 5-minute interval with a pro subscription, otherwise 15-minute.

The CumulusMX uploads to PWS, like for most of the other services (WU, CWOP, WOW, Windy, AWEKAS, WC), is usually at 5 minute for most of these.  The archive data catch-up is also uploaded to most of those services at the same interval (PWS, WU, WOW, Windy).

Enjoy,
Paul