Author Topic: Aero weather widget  (Read 1135 times)

Offline I_Need_Help

Aero weather widget
« on: December 02, 2018, 05:02:46 PM »
Hi All,
      at my local flying club we recently added a weather station that uploads directly to WU and this is working well. However we have just found out that WU is stopping their free API access, contacting WU they say to use the one of a few different free widgets to access our data. this sounds good accept none of them give us the Wind source direction in degrees, in fact what we need is the below list and we have this currently both via a free app and a WordPress site.

Any suggestions?
or are people leaving WU like rats from a sinking ship now they are closing the free access in return for our data?

Wind speed in Knots
Wind direction (source direction) in degrees
Gusts in knots
Pressure in hPa
Temperature in degrees C
rainfall in mm
Dewpoint in C
Date and time it was last updated

thanks

Offline OldAlaskaGuy

• Alaska, The Last American Frontier
  • Forecaster
  • Living in the "Last American Frontier"
Re: Aero weather widget
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2018, 08:09:13 PM »
The WU station reporting system will not change. You will be able to view your station data on the map as always. The API key is for companies/corporations who use this data for commercial purposes.
Here is some info I have gleaned through a bit of searching;
WU put out a temporary patch today to fix the no data issue. They have been vocal touting a new interface. lots of info on the WU forum about changes. The WU PWS network is not going away but will be revamped with a new interface, improved graphs and graphics and faster reporting. Some good changes coming. Not so glum a future.  \:D/

From Tim Roche

HI PWS owners and users. We have implemented a bandaid fix for those of you who were impacted by seemingly missing PWS data over the past few weeks. This issue may pop back up until the new page is launched, which will hopefully happen soon.

I received this this morning from WU
Quote from: WunderTodd (PWS PM) on November 28, 2018, 12:06:23 PM

Hi, thanks for writing.

That's not true.

The Weather Underground API is being shut down in 2019.
    The API serves developers and PWS owners who need to access their data for programming and coding.

PWS owners will have access to a new API which will allow them the same access to their data for programming and coding.

The Personal Weather Station network will continue to function as normal.

Developers who use the Weather Underground API will have the option to switch to a Weather Company API which can serve their needs.

We appreciate you being in the community and hope this clarifies what's happening.

Regards,
    Todd

About the new interface;  https://www.wunderground.com/redesign/
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 08:23:51 PM by Weatheroger »

Offline WxFox

• Northern Androscoggin Weather
  • Happiness is having my toes in the warm sand.
    • Northern Androscoggin County Weather
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 09:27:34 PM »
You can access your station data on a smartphone directly if you are using Cumulus. Do a search for iCumulus. Works on iPhone and Android or any mobile device with internet access. It's a simplified webpage template meant for small screens. Only one small file to upload to the server. You can view mine in my sig.
Davis VP2 (cabled) Uploading to PWS, Weather Underground, Weathercloud, WOW, WeatherBug, AWEKAS and Twitter, using Cumulus.  Cabled = fewer problems, less maintenance and better reliability!

Northern Androscoggin Weather:
http://home.myfairpoint.net/~jody2011/index.php
Mobile friendly: http://home.myfairpoint.net/~jody2011//iCumulus/#_home
CWOP AV346

Offline I_Need_Help

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2018, 06:57:43 PM »
The WU station reporting system will not change. You will be able to view your station data on the map as always. The API key is for companies/corporations who use this data for commercial purposes.
Here is some info I have gleaned through a bit of searching;
WU put out a temporary patch today to fix the no data issue. They have been vocal touting a new interface. lots of info on the WU forum about changes. The WU PWS network is not going away but will be revamped with a new interface, improved graphs and graphics and faster reporting. Some good changes coming. Not so glum a future.  \:D/

From Tim Roche

HI PWS owners and users. We have implemented a bandaid fix for those of you who were impacted by seemingly missing PWS data over the past few weeks. This issue may pop back up until the new page is launched, which will hopefully happen soon.

I received this this morning from WU
Quote from: WunderTodd (PWS PM) on November 28, 2018, 12:06:23 PM

Hi, thanks for writing.

That's not true.

The Weather Underground API is being shut down in 2019.
    The API serves developers and PWS owners who need to access their data for programming and coding.

PWS owners will have access to a new API which will allow them the same access to their data for programming and coding.

The Personal Weather Station network will continue to function as normal.

Developers who use the Weather Underground API will have the option to switch to a Weather Company API which can serve their needs.

We appreciate you being in the community and hope this clarifies what's happening.

Regards,
    Todd

About the new interface;  https://www.wunderground.com/redesign/

thanks, however as a new PWS uploader I can find nowhere on the WU website to get a free API key to access my data. I want the key as it is needed by the Wordpress plugin I use to access my data.

Any idea how I get said key?

Am I also the only one that finds WU widgets not having an option to display the wind source direction in degrees a bit of an oversight?

Offline OldAlaskaGuy

• Alaska, The Last American Frontier
  • Forecaster
  • Living in the "Last American Frontier"
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 07:20:30 PM »
I have never used an API to setup nor do I need one per Victoria at IBM. I should sail on as usual after the first of the year without any worries. Those of you with similar questions may want to contact her at IBM. She has stated that she would rather deal with these questions on a one to one basis rather than posting on a forum page. Her email is:     Victoria.Gardner@ibm.com     :grin:

Offline Sir_MAK

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 09:27:15 AM »
This is were I go, however I no longer use the API key.  Not sure if and when it will change.

https://www.wunderground.com/weather/api
Ambient WS-2000, Central Ohio - WU WC
Ambient
WS-2902, Lake Erie   -    WU WC