Author Topic: Advice on thermometer-only Internet enabled device  (Read 774 times)

Offline rknyc

Advice on thermometer-only Internet enabled device
« on: October 23, 2021, 08:09:21 AM »
I had been looking for an external thermometer only that is Internet enabled. My location isn’t good for measuring wind or rain. The Ambient Weather WS-0800-IP would have been great, but the Observerbase unit needs to be hard wired to the wifi router connected to the cable modem, which is in the basement of my location (western MA).

I would appreciate suggestions for (if it exists) a thermometer-only option (or at least something where I could isolate the thermometer and only use that) that will send data to the Internet (e.g. Weather Underground), but will wirelessly connect to my home network and not need an Ethernet cable connection to the cable modem. OR, an external thermometer with an extremely strong signal. The distance is about 100 feet but it has to pass through various barriers. Thank you.

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
Re: Advice on thermometer-only Internet enabled device
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2021, 09:52:21 AM »
https://www.acurite.com/shop-all/weather-instruments/weather-stations/color-weather-station-with-forecast-powered-by-dark-sky.html?ref=name

I own this station but do not use it to send data to WU. I really like that it gets a two-day forecast off the internet from Dark Sky.

It is rumored that Dark Sky is ending sometime within a year or two. Not sure what happens if this occurs. Do your own research.

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline rknyc

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2021, 09:56:41 AM »
Thanks so much! This appears to meet my specs. I have another AcuRite thermometer (not Internet enabled) and it's been terrific. I will try this one.

Offline rknyc

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2021, 05:56:09 PM »
worachj thanks again for this recommendation. I’ve had it running for the last 2 months and it’s been great.

anything