Author Topic: How's Your Bloomsky Holding Up  (Read 2445 times)

Offline VaJim

• Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
  • Forecaster
How's Your Bloomsky Holding Up
« on: February 12, 2016, 07:52:57 PM »
With extreme cold temps forecasted for the NE and along the east coast, let us know how your Bloomsky holds up.

Specs have it listed to -4(F)....?

Brrr...... :shock:

Offline SpringHillWeather

• Weather Hobbyist
  • Forecaster
  • Spring Hill, Florida
    • Spring Hill
Re: How's Your Bloomsky Holding Up
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 11:27:14 AM »
Here is my status after a week with the BloomSky.

With the solar panel attached I've have no issues with the battery, always showing full even during cloudy days.

I tried moving the unit to the backyard without the solar panel to see how it would perform.  I had no issues with the Wifi (approx 40' from router)
The battery showed green for 3 days until the end of yesterday when it went RED. 

I moved it back to original location and plugged in a/c adapter and it fully charged up under an hour.  It seems with very cold conditions it will only go a few days without being charged.

I'm still playing around with location.   The higher up with a horizon view seems the best on playback for time-elapses.
I noticed if its just facing the sky with nothing framing the shot the time-elapse seems too fast and boring.

However the long shot that captures the horizon for many miles seems to be the best.  My problem is I have many houses nearby so I tend to capture houses vs more of the skyline.
I'm trying to figure out where I can place it higher up to capture that view.

Otherwise the BloomSky is performing well and very happy I purchased it.

Saratoga
HomeWeatherStation
Meteotemplate
Homebrew
Ambient 1001 | ObserverIP | Meteobridge | MeteoPlug

Offline thomas

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2016, 01:48:39 PM »
Got down to +1 this AM with no problem.  So far it has been in a lot of rain, quick freeze, and snow with no problems.  Just wish we had a way to step through pictures or slow down the loop.

Offline Jumpin Joe

• Forecaster
    • Joe’s Weather
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 02:59:31 PM »
I finally got mine setup at it's home location.... video issue I was having yesterday after initially installing it corrected itself over night  =D>

Created a separate network for it using an ASUS RT-AC68U.... just ran a cable from IP's Modem/Router to the ASUS. Signal is very strong and reaches quite a way out into the yard.

Joe 
https://joesweather.info
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus 24-FARS Wireless
WeatherLink Live

Offline hankster

• Forecaster
    • NFM Weather
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 03:21:20 PM »
Last night I seen a station that was at -7F and it appeared to be updating fine.

For me I had to move the BloomSky in the back yard, facing North. The solar panel is now facing North and only get direct sun for maybe an hour in the evening. I could move the panel to a place that faces more south but that would require some bracket fabrication to do it. I'll keep an eye on the battery to see if it gets enough sun facing North to keep the battery charged.

Offline waysta

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2016, 04:40:53 PM »
At -4F now on the way to -17F to -20F.  The sky pic has a slight purple tint now (may have been the actual color, not sure), otherwise okay.

On the iOS app, under device settings, battery looks fully charged.  Pic sent from iOS app to email posted below:

KNYWHITE25 http://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KNYWHITE25

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Bloom Sky is pole mounted (about 16' AGL, solar panel pointed south) as was described here: http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=28503.0

RainWise AgroMet says -5.5F now, it will be interesting to see how the two track overnight into the morning:
KNYWHITE24: http://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KNYWHITE24
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 05:23:47 PM by waysta »

Offline waysta

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2016, 05:11:11 PM »
Here are a couple more to watch (no relation) further north closer to the Canada boarder, Saranac Lake should go down past -26F by morning:

https://map.bloomsky.com/weather-stations/eaB1rJytnpS4rqir

https://map.bloomsky.com/weather-stations/eaB1rJytnpS4qpyq

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2016, 07:36:10 PM »
Got down to +1 this AM with no problem.  So far it has been in a lot of rain, quick freeze, and snow with no problems.  Just wish we had a way to step through pictures or slow down the loop.
I agree about the speed. It's too fast. Hopefully that's something that could be changed in the future.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2016, 10:05:00 PM »
At -4F now on the way to -17F to -20F.  The sky pic has a slight purple tint now (may have been the actual color, not sure), otherwise okay.

On the iOS app, under device settings, battery looks fully charged.  Pic sent from iOS app to email posted below:

KNYWHITE25 http://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KNYWHITE25

ouch...that is cold!  Glad to see your Bloomsky is hanging tough. 

Bloom Sky is pole mounted (about 16' AGL, solar panel pointed south) as was described here: http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=28503.0

RainWise AgroMet says -5.5F now, it will be interesting to see how the two track overnight into the morning:
KNYWHITE24: http://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KNYWHITE24

Offline waysta

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2016, 10:31:01 PM »
getting there - still four green boxes on the battery

It's been a warm winter.  -20F to -25F usually happens at least a few times a year.  When I first moved to upstate, NY from the metro NYC/LI area, I lived a little to the north east of here on a hillside (Oppenheim, NY, just north of St. Johnsville).  I remember how startled I was the first few times I began a commute to work in the morning at -27F.  It was especially a contrast with my time in the service in south east TX where it could be in the 90's in the winter!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 10:42:45 PM by waysta »

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2016, 08:01:18 AM »
now that's cold.... 8-)

Offline ke9lz

• De Pere - Athelstane Weather
  • Contributor
    • De Pere Weather
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2016, 09:30:41 AM »
I woke up this morning to find an alert on my phone saying the battery was low on my Bloomsky.  Looking at the battery indicator on the app said it had full power but we did have a low of -20 which could be the reason for the alert.  At that temp I am sure the battery wasn't liking it.
Steve (KE9LZ)
Athelstane Weather
Blitzortung 1177, 1565

Offline waysta

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2016, 09:57:35 AM »
All is well here too, -21.1F low RainWise 7:19 am; -20.6F Bloom Sky 6:25 am.  Had a Bloom Sky notification, but unable to see what it was after opening the app (is there an iOS notification log somewhere on the iPhone?).

Four green boxes battery this am.  Sun is getting brighter, about 350W/sqm this mid morning.  At 9:56 am, already back up to -12.3F RainWise; -10.1F Bloom Sky (possibly solar heating, especially with the solar panel so close).
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 10:00:18 AM by waysta »

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2016, 10:19:34 AM »
All is well here too, -21.1F low RainWise 7:19 am; -20.6F Bloom Sky 6:25 am.  Had a Bloom Sky notification, but unable to see what it was after opening the app (is there an iOS notification log somewhere on the iPhone?).

Normally I can pull down from the top on the desktop to get a log of notifications for all my applications, but for some reason Bloomsky's never show up there.

I've mentioned to them that there seems to be no way to view past notifications.  At least none that I can find.

Offline Dennis Rogers

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2016, 01:13:17 PM »
Wonder how the camera will hold up to hailstorm?

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2016, 04:40:43 PM »
So far so good. Only been up for a day. IT's reporting on WU and the camera has been approved too.

Pretty close to the readings on my VP2 which is about 30 feet away

Tony