Author Topic: Bloomsky Locations  (Read 9445 times)

Offline VaJim

• Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
  • Forecaster
Re: Bloomsky Locations
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2016, 08:44:00 PM »
@VaJim,

Interesting. Looks like an issue specific to your setup :(
Sorry I could not be of much help.

Good luck!

Thanks....the folks at Bloomsky suggested that I re-name the RE SSIDs to match the main router.  I don't feel comfortable doing that.  Research indicates that there is a reason for the re-naming (roaming, etc.)  As I've said my other devices have no problem connecting to the RE. 

We'll see how it turns out.  I can't believe of all the folks using REs mine is the only one that re-names the SSID and causes an issue with the Bloomsky.  I know Netgear uses basically the same type of technology. Of course some folks may have REs and not even know of the 2nd SSID and just connect their phone to the router itself and therfore by pass the RE.  This is basically what I ended up doing which defeats the while purpose of the RE.  Maybe Bloomsky should try it on their end (ASUS router through a APMED RE) and see how it works for them.

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2016, 09:46:09 PM »
@VaJim,

Good luck!
Research indicates that there is a reason for the re-naming (roaming, etc.)

Can you share that research?
It is common even on enterprise to use both bands on the same ssid. Not to be confuse with the same SSID on different ap's using the same channel causing spectrum collision.

----
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus +FARS|Meteobridge Nano SD|Meteohub|Meteobridge MR-3020|WU KTXSPRIN75/PWS JRARGWX75/CWOP EW2972/WBB TXWDVUE75/Blitzortung ID: 1142|AWEKAS: 12095
Donations are welcome: https://paypal.me/ffuentesb

Offline hankster

• Forecaster
    • NFM Weather
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2016, 11:46:23 PM »
@VaJim,

Good luck!

It is common even on enterprise to use both bands on the same ssid. Not to be confuse with the same SSID on different ap's using the same channel causing spectrum collision.
My understanding was that it is better to have both with the same SSID. Makes things run much smoother when a device has to switch networks.

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/answers/4-wi-fi-tips-from-former-apple-wi-fi-engineer

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2016, 03:05:55 AM »
@VaJim,

Good luck!

My understanding was that it is better to have both with the same SSID. Makes things run much smoother when a device has to switch networks.

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/answers/4-wi-fi-tips-from-former-apple-wi-fi-engineer

Exactly my point. It is best practice to use the same ssid.

----
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus +FARS|Meteobridge Nano SD|Meteohub|Meteobridge MR-3020|WU KTXSPRIN75/PWS JRARGWX75/CWOP EW2972/WBB TXWDVUE75/Blitzortung ID: 1142|AWEKAS: 12095

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2016, 07:32:15 AM »
@VaJim,

Good luck!

Thanks for the discussion and support.

I've logged into the RE's admin page and it looks like I can rename the SSIDs.  The other concern if I do that is I would probably have re-connect my devices...?  The ones in the house would be no problem, but the Bloomskys would be a major pain for they are outside and its very very cold.

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2016, 10:04:43 AM »
....but now that I think about it (extra cup of coffee), it may not be that hard at all.  I believe the Bloomskys only hit the network when they need to make an update (pic/data).  As long as the network SSID and password is the same as it was during setup, I should be fine...?

Just did a quick test with my phone.  First I connected to the main router and walked out into the backyard where the Bloomsky was (before I moved it due to poor wifi) and the phone indicate 2 of 4 bars.  Then I connected to the RE at the same spot and it hit 4 bars.

:grin:

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2016, 10:25:33 AM »
just saw this on the Amped Wireless Support Page:

Our devices are designed to use distinct SSIDs from the router. It is possible to name the units with the same SSID, but we don't recommend that usage. It makes it very difficult for identification purposes if you need to enter the Amped Device Setup Page.

If you would like to set your router and Amped device with the same SSID, despite our recommendation, this can be done during the setup process. You also want to make sure you use the same password as the router. We do recommend when using the same SSID that you do disable DHCP on the Amped device and set a static IP. This way you will be able to enter the setup page by entering the IP address in the web browser address bar.

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2016, 05:43:09 PM »
Well I took the plunge.  I re-named the RE and things appear OK.

All devices are connected and the Bloomskys appear to be updating fine.  We'll check the end-of-day video to see how that goes.

Thanks to all for the words of encouragement. :grin:

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2016, 08:14:00 PM »
Well I took the plunge.  I re-named the RE and things appear OK.

All devices are connected and the Bloomskys appear to be updating fine.  We'll check the end-of-day video to see how that goes.

Thanks to all for the words of encouragement. :grin:
=D> \:D/

----

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2016, 08:34:28 PM »
ugh....now after several hours I'm having problems with my Iphones and IPAD. 

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
Re: Bloomsky Locations & WIFI
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2016, 11:55:53 AM »
...now that I appear to have my WIFI issues under control with an Apple Airport Express, this comes out:

https://www.eero.com/

Looks pretty cool.

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2016, 12:51:24 PM »
...now that I appear to have my WIFI issues under control with an Apple Airport Express, this comes out:

Looks pretty cool.

Its call Wireless Mesh Networks, and the topology has been out for quite some time.
I been using it at my home. Not from this company though which seems to be gear more to your day to day end users.. :)

----

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2016, 06:27:16 PM »

Looks pretty cool.

Its call Wireless Mesh Networks, and the topology has been out for quite some time.
I been using it at my home. Not from this company though which seems to be gear more to your day to day end users.. :)

Thanks....I ended up swapping the Amped RE for a Apple Airport Express.  So far it seems to do the trick.

Offline Dennis Rogers

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2016, 04:59:40 AM »
It's accually optimized to go in the ground. On a fence or roof will give false temp reading. That is the reason it has a spiked post as they concider the ground level is the best place and think they designed the hardware around this.

Would think the roof would be the worst place.

Offline thewxobserver

• Chester, Virginia
  • "Covering the weather one story at a time"
    • RVA Weather Network
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2016, 07:14:41 AM »
When I first received the unit it was on the ground to get everything set up. I too had issues with somebody walking into the front yard and just taking it. Left it there for about a week, we had a couple of days of winter weather followed by severe weather.

Since it was nice this weekend decided to move it to the roof because the kids like to play at the end of the street and I could see somebody kicking a ball into it or something. Didn't want to take a chance.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

While I was moving the unit it had some trouble checking to the router but it quickly fixed when it uploaded another photo. The router is about 50 feet away from the unit so no connection issues. Would like to get another unit for the backyard so overall you could have a complete view of the sky.

Acurite Station / CWOP D0015 / WU KVACHEST36
Twitter @thewxobserver
RVA Weather Network

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2016, 12:56:33 PM »
When I first received the unit it was on the ground to get everything set up. I too had issues with somebody walking into the front yard and just taking it. Left it there for about a week, we had a couple of days of winter weather followed by severe weather.

Since it was nice this weekend decided to move it to the roof because the kids like to play at the end of the street and I could see somebody kicking a ball into it or something. Didn't want to take a chance.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

While I was moving the unit it had some trouble checking to the router but it quickly fixed when it uploaded another photo. The router is about 50 feet away from the unit so no connection issues. Would like to get another unit for the backyard so overall you could have a complete view of the sky.

...nice....my only concern with roof vicinity mounts is the possibility of heat reflection. :shock:

Offline Dennis Rogers

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2016, 01:02:11 PM »
Yes totally inaccurate. The closest or neatest accuracy is the ground mounting as the hardware is optimised for this setup.

Mounted on the roof. The readings would be a total joke, even on a fence the readings won't be correct, or near correct.

Beat the sensors and calibrations are set at ground level.

Offline waysta

• Contributor
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2016, 02:03:36 PM »
The Bloom Sky website shows and suggests mounting in many locations from the spike in the soil of a garden to ledges on the roof of a building, pole mounts, etc.  Look through Bloom Sky's own home web page and then at their blog entries on example mounting locations and techniques.

Probably most installations are going first for the sky picture (and to keep the ball out of harms way).  Sensor accuracy is an issue to be sorted out.  Of course the temperature readings have to be skewed by some mounting locations.

Barometer readings have been my concern with two different reported values and no user adjustments (and now temperature sensitivity).  However, the barometer issues too might get sorted out someday.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 02:12:39 PM by waysta »

Offline Dennis Rogers

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2016, 02:16:46 PM »
Yes it's true they show different mounting postions but Will still be optized for the stake in groubd postion. I think they do mention keep away from structures as this may effect readings.

A roof is the worst possible postion as it generates a lot of heat.

As wood is a poor conductor of heat on a woodern fence would not be too bad.

Offline Dennis Rogers

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2016, 02:19:19 PM »
They need a way to manually calibrate the temp and barometer settings to  cater for different mountings and heights.

Offline waysta

• Contributor
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2016, 02:23:07 PM »
They need a way to manually calibrate the temp and barometer settings to  cater for different mountings and heights.

Yes!!!

Offline hankster

• Forecaster
    • NFM Weather
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2016, 06:18:01 PM »
BloomSky actually has a mount that lets you mount it on posts, poles, etc. I have mine about 10' off the ground and the temp/hum readings are very close to my Davis station.

Offline Fox_Of_The_Wind

• Forecaster
  • Hi there!
    • http://www.desotowiwx.com
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2016, 05:52:51 PM »
I'm curious as to where folks ended up placing their Bloomsky?

Did anyone settle on a location that is not secured or fenced in?  Any extra precautions to prevent thief?

Most of the ones I've seen appear to be in backyards or up on an elevated structure.

mine is in my yard mounted on a bell tower. It is not secured or fenced in. But my Davis weather station is not secured or fenced in also. That might just be one of the good things for living in the country.

Anthony

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2016, 06:24:42 PM »
Yes totally inaccurate. The closest or neatest accuracy is the ground mounting as the hardware is optimised for this setup.

Mounted on the roof. The readings would be a total joke, even on a fence the readings won't be correct, or near correct.

Beat the sensors and calibrations are set at ground level.
I can see my dog lifting his leg to relieve himself on the unit.
Nah, it's going to be elevated somewhere. :-)
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline kc2kzz

• Solitude Village Weather
« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2016, 06:26:16 PM »
After trying a few spots, I settled on the front of the house mounted on a board attached to a garden stake.