Author Topic: Acurite Atlas display signal  (Read 3227 times)

Offline Denpat

Acurite Atlas display signal
« on: December 23, 2018, 09:31:48 AM »
I am having an issue with my Acurite Atlas display losing its signal. I have installed the sensor 45' from the display and the signal is going straight through a patio door, no walls or steel. The signal has full bars most of the time, but then the bars will slowly fade away until their all gone. In a short period of time they will return to full bars. This happens a lot in the morning, but it can happen at any time during the day. The signal to my access is excellent all the time. I have checked the signal to my access when the signal to the display shows no bars and the access says excellent signal.

I thought I would check here and see if anyone has had the same issue.

Dennis

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
Re: Acurite Atlas display signal
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2018, 09:50:22 AM »
The signal bars on the display act differently than the signal bars for the Access.

On a display, the bars are full when a signal is acquired, but then are gradually subtracted if expected data packets have been missed.  The Access is a more true signal strength indicator.  If there is a least one bar, all your data is being received.

My guess is that there might something electrical near your display that is emitting noise and interfering with the signal.  Maybe something light an LED or florescent light.  Perhaps a microwave oven.  When the device is on, the signal is blocked, when it is turned off, the signal returns.

Offline Denpat

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2018, 10:10:16 AM »
I have the display in the kitchen and of course we have a microwave, fluorescent light etc. The display is at least 8' away. I would guess that you are probably right and it is something that I can live with, but I thought I would see if anyone else saw this issue with theirs.

Thanks George for your response.

Dennis

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2018, 11:28:10 AM »
Mine seems to drop when there is no wind. Maybe this is a battery saving feature? I never really thought much about it until recently, when I have caught the display showing no bars when the wind isn't blowing several times. Then when the anemometer starts again, the signal comes back and updates every few seconds.

Offline yankeesdood16

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2019, 06:59:07 PM »
I haven’t really had any issues with mine.

Offline WXman

• Stormdawg
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 07:33:53 AM »
I am having an issue with my Acurite Atlas display losing its signal. I have installed the sensor 45' from the display and the signal is going straight through a patio door, no walls or steel. The signal has full bars most of the time, but then the bars will slowly fade away until their all gone. In a short period of time they will return to full bars. This happens a lot in the morning, but it can happen at any time during the day. The signal to my access is excellent all the time. I have checked the signal to my access when the signal to the display shows no bars and the access says excellent signal.

I thought I would check here and see if anyone has had the same issue.

Dennis

I had the exact same issue for the first week or two that my station was installed.  It would go from full scale to nothing and back and forth, even without touching the display.  Very odd.  I assumed it was a weak signal, so I ordered the Acurite signal repeater.  After the repeater was delivered, I never have seen my signal strength on anything except full scale since then, so the repeater never even got taken out of the box.  Very odd.  I have no idea.   #-o  For now it's still working great so we'll see how long that lasts.
B.S. in Meteorology/Climatology

38.01977N, 84.83486W
Davis Vantage Pro 2 wireless station
AcuRite 5-n-1 w/ WiFi reporting to WU

Offline gtstricky

• Kennett Weather
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2019, 05:27:02 PM »
I have had my Atlas 1 day and am already frustrated with my display loosing signal. 50' site line to the ISS out a window.

It might be going back and I will spend the money to get my Davis fixed that never had a signal issue.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2019, 05:58:06 PM »
I have had my Atlas 1 day and am already frustrated with my display loosing signal. 50' site line to the ISS out a window.

It might be going back and I will spend the money to get my Davis fixed that never had a signal issue.
If you'd like, I'd suggest going to the Davis threads and post your problem(s), perhaps we can save you some time, money, and hassle.

Offline davefr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2019, 06:04:58 PM »

I've had nothing but problems with Acurite products loosing the signal.  Atlas was even worse then 5 in 1. I've observed that they fade from solid signal to 0 signal strength and sometimes come back and sometimes require a reboot.

You might want to try the Ambient WS-2000.  I have it set up at the same exact site as the Acurite products and it's been 100% reliable. (at approx. 100')

I'm not condemning Acurite, but RF can be very weird at times and for my location Ambient's 915 MHz RF frequency has been rock solid vs. Acurite's 433 MHz frequency.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2019, 06:06:21 PM »
Was that with a stock device or one you modified?

Offline davefr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2019, 06:22:42 PM »
Was that with a stock device or one you modified?

Stock reception was very unreliable.  (both Smart Hub and Access Hub).  Out of desperation, a half wave 433 MHz dipole external antenna was soldered in place of the hub's internal antenna which helped considerably with 5 in 1 but not with Atlas. I've since decided to give the WS-2000 a try and it's been rock solid.

I still have an Access hub and 5 in 1 at the coast and it's been rock solid but distance is only about 40-50'.

I'd like to see Ambient and Acurite put some more effort into RF design (spread spectrum??) to squeak out more range/RF reliability. (probably their #1 consumer complaint). 

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2019, 06:24:22 PM »
Yeah.... saw the pictures...  getting out of the basement would probably help, too.

FYI, the RF section isn't designed by Acurite.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 06:26:20 PM by nincehelser »

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2019, 07:20:51 PM »
There does seem to be an issue on some of the Atlas with regard to the antenna. ( I have been working on finding the exact cause and am 90% it is antenna related) Take a look at the tear down photos. The antenna is covered in a plastic housing. On top of the antenna is a cushion to keep the antenna from touching the plastic (I'm guessing). If the transmit antenna is touching the plastic, would this have an affect on the transmission? Or is the cushion supposed to touch the plastic to keep the antenna from vibrating? On my troubled Atlas, the reception is fine for most of the time the sun is shining. As soon as it gets dark, reception is poor to nothing.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2019, 07:27:40 PM »
There does seem to be an issue on some of the Atlas with regard to the antenna. ( I have been working on finding the exact cause and am 90% it is antenna related) Take a look at the tear down photos. The antenna is covered in a plastic housing. On top of the antenna is a cushion to keep the antenna from touching the plastic (I'm guessing). If the transmit antenna is touching the plastic, would this have an affect on the transmission? Or is the cushion supposed to touch the plastic to keep the antenna from vibrating? On my troubled Atlas, the reception is fine for most of the time the sun is shining. As soon as it gets dark, reception is poor to nothing.

There's not much to go wrong with the antenna itself, unless it is shorting or running to close to another piece of metal.  If the antenna is distorted so that the coils were touching (effectively changing its length), that could be a problem.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2019, 07:16:00 PM »
OK,
SO I uncoiled the antenna a bit, and tilted it very carefully at the board, just in case it wasn't making good contact to the board. I haven't lost signal in over an hour  and it's long past dark. I am confident. If the signal goes bad overnight, I will update tomorrow.

Offline giveme5

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2019, 05:16:21 PM »
OK,
SO I uncoiled the antenna a bit, and tilted it very carefully at the board, just in case it wasn't making good contact to the board. I haven't lost signal in over an hour  and it's long past dark. I am confident. If the signal goes bad overnight, I will update tomorrow.

Which antenna was that, Access or Atlas?

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2019, 06:41:13 PM »
Atlas.

I think it was like George said, the antenna was shorting out. I just uncoiled it by turning it a bit, and the signal has been much better. I probably should have turned it even more than I did, because it does drop occasionally, but not for hours or all night like before.

I noticed last night at 2AM it didn't report to myacurite, but no other times were missed.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 06:48:22 PM by DoctorKnow »

Offline giveme5

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2019, 04:29:37 PM »
Atlas.

I think it was like George said, the antenna was shorting out. I just uncoiled it by turning it a bit, and the signal has been much better. I probably should have turned it even more than I did, because it does drop occasionally, but not for hours or all night like before.

I noticed last night at 2AM it didn't report to myacurite, but no other times were missed.

Thanks for the tips, I'll have to inspect mine. I'm still getting disconnects about twice a day with Access and about 1 every two days with display. Annoying...

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2019, 04:41:30 PM »
Mine disconnected again last night when it turned cold. No sun today, so it didn't come back to normal. It's not easy to fix that's for sure. Trial and error type of thing.

anything